Considering relocating to Grand Rapids?

GRDadof3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's being used like TripleG is using it, I'm thinking of the one that refers to living in the boonies and is not appropriate for all ages :)

Which is appropriate for the bar too.. since allendale until recently was considered.. Out in BFE..

• 3 months later...

Thanks for bumping this thread GRdad. I'm a Dad of 2 (8yrs and 6yrs), with my wife finishing up her degree at the end of the summer. We are currently living in Portland, between GR and Lansing. She'll be looking for a job and with the market the way it is, I would guess she'll wind up with a job in GR. We would love to move to GR after this happens, but I'm concerned about the schools. Can anyone fill me in on the school situation in GR proper? I'm looking for the options, best locations, etc...

How is the South Hill neighborhood looking these days? During my 14 years living there I saw some improvement, but it was slow..

There was an article in the "life styles" section of the Press a year or two ago about South Hill. The area seemed to be doing rather well with a number of renovations completed. I think they also said something about working on a neighborhood association.

Thanks for bumping this thread GRdad. I'm a Dad of 2 (8yrs and 6yrs), with my wife finishing up her degree at the end of the summer. We are currently living in Portland, between GR and Lansing. She'll be looking for a job and with the market the way it is, I would guess she'll wind up with a job in GR. We would love to move to GR after this happens, but I'm concerned about the schools. Can anyone fill me in on the school situation in GR proper? I'm looking for the options, best locations, etc...

If I were putting my kids through GRPS, I'd have to give high marks for the Sherwood Park school on the far South East end. Great opertunity for your kids to learn about the world around them. I think LighthouseDave can give ample information to this question.

There was an article in the "life styles" section of the Press a year or two ago about South Hill. The area seemed to be doing rather well with a number of renovations completed. I think they also said something about working on a neighborhood association.

Brian and Tracy Prevost are doing a lot in the area to turn it around. Including heading a neighborhood association/watch and rennovating many many homes..

Along with Brian and Tracy, I know there are others who own multiple properties in South Hill that are making a difference.

Now I see that the DHS is trying to move again. Thay had planned to build a new office on the NW corner of Franklin and Madison back in the mid 90's, but those plans fell apart. It would be nice to see that old Central Christian High School building used as a school again (unlikely) or perhaps converted into housing.

It has been said that Christian High School's leaving accelerated the neighborhood's decline.

Let me just say that you'd be making a great decision coming to Grand Rapids. It's exciting to see the changes taking place and to be a part of the momentum that will carry through at least through the next decade. Being a relative newcomer here (10 years now, and we're both from other parts of Michigan), I have witnessed quite a transformation in Grand Rapids. Almost exactly as I "felt" would happen moving here 10 years ago, but still pleasantly surprised to see all the changes.

The school situation is a tough one. GR Public Schools are struggling right now due to a number of different issues: declining enrollment due to School of Choice and internal issues, which has led to teacher cuts, program cuts, which has hurt morale, and on and on leading to a very tough public image and self-fulfilling prophecy problem. There are definitely a few great schools in GRPS, especially at the Elementary level. There is also a great Montessori School on the NE side. Since I'm not originally from the area, other people may be able to answer school specific questions. Although we all like to see the rebirth of the center city, many of the suburban school districts rank among best in the State, and many have received Federal DOE recognition (Blue Ribbon recipients).

But here is a link to GRPS for more information:

http://www.grps.k12.mi.us/

A lot depends on what you're looking for. There are also several schools now in the area in both the City and the burbs doing "Spanish Immersion" programs, if you're interested in exposing your kids to different cultures and languages, or if you're Hispanic.

East Grand Rapids gives you the benefits of a more urban setting and very walkable community, combined with excellent schools. Although very pricey, there are some areas near the border of GR/EGR that are smaller, older homes in beautiful neighborhoods that can fit in most family's budgets. And that also puts you close to Easttown and it's eccentric business district. Gaslight Village in EGR is also a great addition, that you can read about in the main GR Forum. Collins Park and Rose's on Reeds Lake are both gems in EGR as well, with a new library and community center being built next door.

Shoot me a Personal Message anytime if you have other questions. Hopefully others can introduce you to the different neighborhoods. :thumbsup:

Archived