UrbanPlanet.org

M. Brown

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I agree with you guys... It is VERY important to be able to move from one topic to another without experiencing major delays. At home, I only have a 56k modem, so I can't visit the forums where lots of pics are posted. SSA/Urban Planet has been very responsive, even with slower connections.

I just hope it doesn't start to slow down when more people join this forum.

Extremely powerful server sits behind this website, directly connected to OC-192 lines from Verizon in Chicago. While it's natural for a DB to get overloaded when more and more users use it we are definately prepared to take on more and more users concurrently. If you're a tech head here are the server specs:

Quad Intel Xeon Procs

4GB RAM

RAID

RedHat Linux running Apache

Maybe the first page could have photos to go with the articles to become more attention grabbing so what interests people would not get overlooked.

Would make for a nice addition but we're restricted in doing this. I'm currently able to take a certain amount of characters from each post and display them, however it's not post specific but applies to all posts that show up on the main page. What happens when you put images in there is that the image may show and it may not since it's counting HTML characters instead of what you actually see characters. So say I'm displaying the first 240 characters of an article on the main page and an image is displayed from characters 230 - 260, the image would just show the infamous red X in a white block.

Archived