Legislature responsible for Property Tax Hikes - Column

vicupstate

Legislature forced localities to raise property taxes with it's actions

I always knew this was the case, but never had 'hard numbers'. It's too bad the author is no longer in the legislature himself. It would be good to have someone on the inside telling those Mother F*%@ers that THEY themselves are to blame for the mess that they so willingly place on the local governments.

Those legislators are using the very crisis they THEY created to end Home Rule, and take still more power for there incompetent selves.

I tell you, it is time for a revolution in this state. The next time someone shoots cannon balls into that statehouse, it won't be Yankees, it will be ME!!!!! :angry:

This is another good column that looks at SC's property tax rates compared to other states.

Reports show low Property Taxes

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The anti-tax Tax Foundation ranks South Carolina 35th in per capita property taxes, with each resident paying an average of $754 in 2002. And Governing magazine shows South Carolinians paying 3 percent of their income on property taxes, which ranks 27th

New Jerseys property taxes range from $7000 to $10,000 a year and you dont even get close to an acre of land with that!

Although this is a 2004 article, it talks about a man from Orangeburg who is scared of losing his home due to possible skyrocketing high property taxes.

Interesting stuff:

But lowering property taxes isn't easy. State legislatures have been reluctant to raise other taxes to replace money from the property tax. And spending cuts for schools

This is another sickening example of the sheer idiocy that is rampant in the state legislature. It also demonstrates how ignorant people are when they blame all of their woes on the governor. Why can't people understand this in SC?

I found one piece of information interesting...84% of the budget goes to counties and 16% goes to municipalities. As you can see, cities (the main driving factors for any state's economy...the hubs of economic activity) are low on the priority list in this state. :sick: Just disgusting. But, unfortunately, not a surprise. The legislature needs true reform, and that will be a huge task.

Agricultural Tax breaks creates Property Tax Loopholes

Obviously when a 5 acre oceanfront tract on Kiawah Island pays only $10 in property taxes, there is a huge need for reform. However, rather than tighten up this loophole, the Legislature would rather shift taxes onto the poor, blame local governments, and grab power from them.

:wacko:

I still think that property taxes should be repealed. After all, the tax is essentially the government saying, "If you pay us some money, we'll let you keep your land (property)." Something about that doesn't sit well with me....

I still think that property taxes should be repealed. After all, the tax is essentially the government saying, "If you pay us some money, we'll let you keep your land (property)." Something about that doesn't sit well with me....

I don't see how it differs from sales or income taxes. You have to pay the sales tax on on item in order to take it, even after you have 'paid' for the item itself. You have to pay income taxes before you get a paycheck, even though YOU earned the ENTIRE amount.

"If you pay us some money, we'll let you keep your paycheck, and we won't put you in jail".

Plus, local services tend to be tied to property. A policeman is protecting your property. So is a Fireman. A garbage man is picking up the refuge from the yard and the household. Unlike income or sales taxes, property taxes are universal in the US. Taxes on property predate sales and income taxes.

A mix of taxes is a good way to not unfairly burden one group against another. Plus it gives stability. Just as your are encouraged to diversify an investment portfolio, so should a government should diversify it's revenue streams.

Without property taxes, there is little 'carrying costs' to owning property. That encourages owners to not sell, but hold on to property they might otherwise sell. Often, such unconcerned parties will let the property deteriorate and be a blight on the surrounding area.

I agree with this in principle. But for the moment our setup shouldn't change. But that may be more related to the SC tax reform bill.

Archived