B.C. Moore and Sons acquired

Miesian Corners

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BC Moore was acquired last Friday by Stage Stores of Houston. They operate Beals Outlets and Peebles stores. BC Moore is headquartered in Cheraw (my home town) and operates a large distribution warehouse there. Nearly 300 will lose their jobs, as both will close. Sad day for the "Prettiest Town in Dixie".

Hey, that's my hometown, too! I am sad to read this about B.C. Moore's. I have many fond memories of shopping there (and my Mom still does in Bennettsville.) I read that some will be closed, but most converted into Peeble's, which isn't so bad. Of course, those employees working at the headquarters will still be lost, although perhaps some will be offered positions with the Peeble's headquarters? (If they can bear to leave the "Prettiest Town in Dixie", that is!)

Maybe Peeble's will need to keep the distribution warehouse open, as well? They have just expanded their reach, after all.

Good to find another "Cheravian" on here!

Maybe Peeble's will need to keep the distribution warehouse open, as well? They have just expanded their reach, after all.

Nope, the warehouse wasn't even included in the sale. Stage Stores will close a good many of BC Moore stores in downtowns throughout the South, furthering the decline of many a small town in the Carolinas and beyond. Even the downtown Cheraw store will close.

What amazes me is that the company is family-owned. They have to live in Cheraw. You'd have thought that they'd at least have put some fine-print in the sale to keep their hometown store open. What a slap in the face.

BTW, nice to meet you too, digital. Love me some Cheraw!

Archived