Monroe Mall

appatone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have lived in Monroe most of my life and have seen it really disentegrate into a dirtier community. In the last couple of years however, great strides have been made in turning the city around and I think in years to come they will prove to be good decisions for the city of Monroe and the county it resides. In a few months I'll be moving from Monroe to North Charlotte so it doesn't affect me directly what happens to Monroe at this point, but I am happy to see it changing for the better.

• 1 month later...

Carolina Mall's not too bad. The Belk is nice and they have a pretty decnty mom and pop sneaker store there.

I've never been inside Monroe Mall, though I've been past it a few times.

Monroe Mall is dying...anything with a KMart near it doesn't show promise. But in all seriousness...nothing is left in there...a half ass excuse for a Belk, and a Peebles (other at Freedom Mall) the Sam goody left, all you have after that is that pretzel place and some bad chain stores.

After Wal-Mart left Sears came in and took its space so it wasn't a complete loss. However, the mall was recently purchased and the new owners plan an overhaul and a possible expansion. Speaking of Monroe Belks, Monroe is actually the original home of Belks and the first Belks is still standing in Downtown Monroe although the retailer abandoned it years ago.

Here's a link to the thread I started after Monroe Malls purchase. It links to the Observer article about it.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=291380

• 2 months later...

Monroe Mall was purchased by a group out of DC. They own the mall and two acres behind it. THey said a renovation should begin in the fall and that expansion is a possibility.http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13552697.htm

Does anyone have anymore info regarding what new stores are going there and if there going to make it a two story mall. The articles said nothing about that.

Highly unlikely it would become a 2-story mall.

Well while you are probaly right it is not entirely impossible. A lot of people in Monroe get tired of driving all the way to Charlotte to find a decent mall. Not only that a lot of people from Lancaster, Wingate, Marshville, Wadesboro, and Chester county, SC come to Monroe to get there shopping done. And if they can't find it Monroe which latley has been the case until Poplin Place, have to drive to Charlotte. But you are probaly right. We will have to wait to find out.

It's just rare for an expansion to make the mall 2 stories. I think if anything it would add an outdoor component... the thing is, there's just not a lot of room around Monroe Mall to make it a sizable mall... It worked for Monroe for years, and now that Union County is growing who know what will happen...

• 8 months later...

I actually worked in that mall during high school, and summers while home from college. I was working there on the day it opened to the public (to great fanfare, I might add) in August of 1979. They closed the Belk store downtown (yes...THE original Belk) on one day and opened the new one at the mall the next. As in so many other towns, the mall basically spelled the death of retail in downtown Monroe. In its day, the mall was very prosperous, but times have obviously changed...as have the demographics of Monroe.

As far as I'm concerned, they should shut down the whole thing and move all the stores back to downtown, which is actually very nice.....just a little dead.

I actually worked in that mall during high school, and summers while home from college. I was working there on the day it opened to the public (to great fanfare, I might add) in August of 1979. They closed the Belk store downtown (yes...THE original Belk) on one day and opened the new one at the mall the next. As in so many other towns, the mall basically spelled the death of retail in downtown Monroe. In its day, the mall was very prosperous, but times have obviously changed...as have the demographics of Monroe.

As far as I'm concerned, they should shut down the whole thing and move all the stores back to downtown, which is actually very nice.....just a little dead.

Archived