Monroe Mall

appatone

Monroe still has a chance for a really nice downtown if a few factors work out in their favor. Most importantly: the town needs to attract a higher-earning demographic and it needs to pull its head out of its @*$ in regards to planning and development. I don't think that the Mall has caused as much long-term damage to the downtown area as has the laissez-faire attitude toward development around Highway 74. Granted, small towns do what they have to in order to stay financially stable; but 74 in Monroe is probably the ugliest sprawl in the entire region.

The good news is that downtown is almost entirely preserved, and would make for one hell of a revitalization. There is a ton of empty retail in prime locations, lots of old warehouses sitting empty just waiting to be converted to condos, and a surprising number of nice old homes that are neglected but in savable condition. The area around Monroe HS, near where Charlotte/Monroe Rd. finally ends, could be an unbelievable neighborhood akin to Dilworth (but more walkable) if it were "discovered" by urban pioneers. Though the mall's closing would not help the economics of the town, it might be a good thing in the long run if it helps kick-start that process of de-suburbanization.

• 7 months later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove past Monroe Mall this past weekend and noticed several signs from Madison Marquette with renderings. Apparently the mall is about to receive an overhaul to help turn things around. I have heard rumors that they're going to bring in stores like Victoria Secret for example, something of which Monroe has never had.

You can see what little information is available on the following website:

http://www.madisonmarquette.com/portfolio/...rty/property:19

post-1-1189538910_thumb.jpg

In addition, I noticed that JC Penny is no longer a tenant.

post-1-1189538910_thumb.jpg

Archived