Greensboro best place for ACC Tournament?

kmurphy19662003

With the expansion of teams in the ACC is Greensboro the best option? Is the new arena in Charlotte too small for a league with 12 teams? After 2010 will the league still hold the occasional tournament in the smaller arenas like the MCI center in Washington and the Bobcats arena, or should it stick with the domes in Atlanta and St. Petersburg. With ACC headquarterd in Greensboro and the availability of 23K seats I still see Greensboro remaining in the rotation, but what about the NBA arenas?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that they should have never taken the tourny from charlotte and greensboro. They should go back to rotating it between those two cities. They are neutral sites (Atlanta's not), they are centrally located for all the acc teams (not DC). I know that i am not the only one that shares this same line of thinking

For better or for worse, the ACC now stretches from Boston to the Florida panhandle and the ACC tournament should be responsive to the expansion they so desperately wanted by opening up the tournament to many more cities within that region. As a native North Carolinian, it would be nice to always have it in NC, but it's only fair to give other cities a shot. Besides, Boston, Washington, Richmond, Atlanta, etc are more interesting destinations than Greensboro.

For all the reasons people mentioned above.....it should still be in charlotte and greensboro. Yeah true boston is now apart, but so is miami. Thus the center (and neutral) sites are charlotte and greensboro. Those are the only sizable venues in the area i believe.

But is the new Charlotte arena big enough at around 18,000 for an expanded league?? It has a great setting but are there too few seats for the schools to dole out to the generous donors. With 12 teams instead of nine the pie gets sliced even thinner.

For better or for worse, the ACC now stretches from Boston to the Florida panhandle and the ACC tournament should be responsive to the expansion they so desperately wanted by opening up the tournament to many more cities within that region. As a native North Carolinian, it would be nice to always have it in NC, but it's only fair to give other cities a shot. Besides, Boston, Washington, Richmond, Atlanta, etc are more interesting destinations than Greensboro.

Then why not rotate the ACC football championship game as well? After all, the expansion took place just for the extra revenue for that game. I think the Tourney is a natural fit for Greensboro and it should be played there every year.

But is the new Charlotte arena big enough at around 18,000 for an expanded league?? It has a great setting but are there too few seats for the schools to dole out to the generous donors. With 12 teams instead of nine the pie gets sliced even thinner.

It should be played in a non-NBA arena-that is what takes the college feeling out of the tourney and why people didn't enjoy it in DC.

Then why not rotate the ACC football championship game as well? After all, the expansion took place just for the extra revenue for that game. I think the Tourney is a natural fit for Greensboro and it should be played there every year.

I think the football championship should rotate as well. I would think that since the ACC is so money hungry, thus the expansion for increased football revenue, they would bid it out and seek the city with the most lucrative proposal.

But is the new Charlotte arena big enough at around 18,000 for an expanded league??

This information is from the Bobcats arena online fact sheet. It's not THAT much smaller than the GSO coliseum.

Seating

Sporting Events

NBA Basketball: 18,500

WNBA Basketball: 8,518

College Basketball: 20,200

Hockey: 14,100

The tradition has always been Greensboro. The ACC has even said Greensboro does the best job hosting the tournament. I think one reason is because the tournament is a big thing for Greensboro. In a place like Washington or Atlanta its just another event. But I think the rotation was neccisary to improve the status of the ACC on a national level. While basketball and football are rotating tournaments, The ACC has expressed interest for a permanent tournamant site for baseball and I know Greensboro is fighting for that and the city has a big advantage. But as far as Basketball, the ACC seems to be making the tournament look more like a mini NCAA tournament than a conference tournament. Greensboro has an expansion plan for the coliseum to add an additional 2,000 seats in the main arena bringing the capicity to 25,000 and thats about 7,000 more seats than Charlotte's uptown arena. The seating capacity alone makes Greensboro the state's best tournament location and with plans for an ACC Hall of Champions and Museum in the works, Greensboro will still host the tournament more than the other cities.

I can handle Greensboro hosting the tourney-I just think the overall experience of "Tobacco Road" (the history of the ACC) is lacking in Greensboro. It's just kind of boring-like having it in any random coliseum. The key point is that Greensboro is in the middle of the state and the ACC HQ are there.

Richmond would have a real problem hosting with the Richmond Coliseum only able to hold @ 8-10K people

I can handle Greensboro hosting the tourney-I just think the overall experience of "Tobacco Road" (the history of the ACC) is lacking in Greensboro. It's just kind of boring-like having it in any random coliseum. The key point is that Greensboro is in the middle of the state and the ACC HQ are there.

Also keep in mind the Greensboro Coliseum is the second largest arena of the tournament cities. Only one is larger and thats the Georgia Dome in Atlanta which seats 40,000 for basketball. I think the ACC is felt greatly in Greensboro. The ACC was founded there and the tradition of having the tournament in Greensboro gives that tobbaco road experience. Its hard to explain but the experience is not the same when the tourney is in Washington, Charlotte or Atlanta. But the Greensboro Coliseum is no random arena for the ACC. Its part of ACC heritage.

The feeling was that DC wasn't really catering to the fans (ie. no fan events, no room to tailgate, etc.). You should showed up at the arena and watched the games. This probably goes back to the fact that it was just another event for DC to fill some more hotel rooms.

If Greensboro is considered neutral, than the MCI Center and Atlanta Arena must be considered neutral too. UM and GT don't play games at those venues, and if they do, not more frequently than Wake plays games there.

MCI Center is not too much closer to College Park than the Greensboro Coliseum is to Wake Forest.

Archived