Does anyone know....

chuckster

anything about the scrap metal eye sore across the river from where the new stadium is going? Since I have just moved back in town, I have been taking in the views from all the great angles to see the city, but coming from the east and taking the 24 west split could look so much better if that place (scrap metal heap) was completely removed. Any word on what is to become of that place?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the wave of urban living gets bigger and stronger in Nashville, eventually I would think they wouldn't be able to resist a move of some kind. It seems inevitable to me...but then again, i don't know if there are any contract situations or something of that nature that I just don't know about.

Speaking from knowledge only, I know that metro and them have been in talks in the past about relocation. There were a few years where they were under bankruptcy (I think) that halted progress. They are willing to relocate if a site can be found to meet their unique needs: close interstate access, river access, and rail access. This type of site is not that easy to find. Lastly, who will help pay to relocate?

The solution was stated correctly by LA TN but in addition the ground is very contaminated from years of being an industrial site, someone will have to take on the responsibility of cleaning the property up. The potential legal liabilities could get convoluted and scare off potential buyers even after the clean-up.

I know in Knoxville the city wanted to move a large beer distribution center to an abandoned Norfolk-Southern rail yard and then give the former Beer Dist. land to the Knoxville News-Sentinel to build their new Corp. offices and printing facility. The city took on all liability to remediate the site for the new Beer Dist location. This was 5-6 years ago and they are still in court.

I know we have discussed this on previous threads, but the word is that there is a location the city is looking at off the Ashland City Hwy. They have to have a rail line, interstate access and close to the river for barges to come in. The area around there fits all three criteria even though Ashland City hwy is not an interstate but is a 5 lane now and has good access to Briley. They recently opened the rail line back up to serve the industrial park in Ashland City. Just wait and see.

I know we have discussed this on previous threads, but the word is that there is a location the city is looking at off the Ashland City Hwy. They have to have a rail line, interstate access and close to the river for barges to come in. The area around there fits all three criteria even though Ashland City hwy is not an interstate but is a 5 lane now and has good access to Briley. They recently opened the rail line back up to serve the industrial park in Ashland City. Just wait and see.

I do hope they can move that site out there. It needs to be moved ASAP. I can imagine a ton more residential development over there and an awesome riverfront park. I'm thinking that once the Riverfront development report comes out with their development proposal, that huge scrap metal pile will soon become an old memory.

Speaking as someone who has an extreme fondness for industrial sites (perhaps irrationally :blush: ), I have to say the scrap metal yard is one of my favorite heavy industry sites in Nashville. I have always loved the skyline shot with the scrapyard in the foreground and the towers of nashville in the background. It is the only good "grit" shot of the skyline left that close to the core now that nashville thermal was destroyed. Well, maybe there could be a good grit shot from the north side around the jefferson street bridge. Anyway, I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but I hope it stays where it is. Aren't there any more grit lovers on this forum? I'm the kind of guy who purposefully takes first-time visitors to nashville on a tour of Dickerson road to show them the gritty/seedy side of Ka$hville. Yeah Boyzzzz! :thumbsup:

I'm the kind of guy who purposefully takes first-time visitors to nashville on a tour of Dickerson road to show them the gritty/seedy side of Ka$hville. Yeah Boyzzzz! :thumbsup:

You sadist, you ! I think the Convention & Visitors Bureau would like to have a stern word with you ! You trying to scare the straights ? :blink:

I have always loved the skyline shot with the scrapyard in the foreground and the towers of nashville in the background. It is the only good "grit" shot of the skyline left that close to the core now that nashville thermal was destroyed.

Wow... hmm... I dunno what to say about that one <_<

Do you have a "grit" shot you can post so we can see what you mean?

For Kheldane and bzorch: Sure, I'd love to see this go, but in the meantime, if you just get down to the nitty gritty and up close, this is really cool stuff.

Thanks Dave! That first shot is awsome!

@ Jice: I plan to go on a photo-shoot as soon as I get my car tags renewed :P

I'll definitely get tons of grit, and I'll try to get the "scrapyard grit shot" as well.

@ Jice: I plan to go on a photo-shoot as soon as I get my car tags renewed :P

I'll definitely get tons of grit, and I'll try to get the "scrapyard grit shot" as well.

I look forward to seeing it :D

But once you take your grit shots... can we go ahead with the move the junkyard plan? lol

You sadist, you ! I think the Convention & Visitors Bureau would like to have a stern word with you ! You trying to scare the straights ? :blink:

LOL! I bet the CVB would disagree with most of my opinions, that's for sure! I do love Dickerson road though - but only from a tourism standpoint. I wouldn't want to live there. But as a tourist destination, it's pretty amazing. As you drive down the "Dick", you have the skyline looming large on the horizon. Out either side window you see the following: Liquour store, Used car lot, Trailer park, XXX Video, Pawn shop, Pay-by-the-hour Motel, abandoned store front, Repeat. It's a great contrast between the soaring steel & glass core, where matters of great legal importance are decided and high-dollar financial transactions occur, against the everyday scenery of the urban white-trash slum. I like to think there's something poetic about the fact that the downtown office workers are just as indifferent about the dickerson road trailer-park dwelllers as the trailer-park people are about the skyline. Two very different neighborhoods that are within sight of each other, but actually worlds apart in so many ways.

I look forward to seeing it :D

But once you take your grit shots... can we go ahead with the move the junkyard plan? lol

Actually, you can move it whenever you want. I bet a sufficiently large offer to the owner(s), perhaps on the order of $5 Million, would leave you holding the deed to the whole thing. Then you'd be free to build whatever you found convenient to build. :D

But seriously, I do think it will probably not be there in the long term. The property values are rising so quickly on that side of town that some developer will find a way to acquire it and turn it into some kind of prime real estate development.

Not your post card view of downtown. Though it is cooler than the Nashville postcard with the aerial of Opry Mills I have seen.

I am sure Rolling Mill Hill would appreciate this area being redeveloped. As Kheldane said, I to think the pressure is building on this site to move due to the rise in property values. The most difficult issue will be relocation. First, wehere can they have their access to all the various transportation needs of the company and who will welcome them with open arms. I imagine just about anywhere would get the NIMBY response.

There are a lot of properties that could be redeveloped over there. Too bad the general public is too lazy to walk to the downtown from this location. I think it could be a viable CC site. What about boat shuttles to Riverfront Park? Not a chance. Hopefully someday, this areas will reach its potential and improve the connection between East Nashville, the River, and SoBro. As for now, we will just have to enjoy the grit.

As for Dickerson Rd, it does have some of the best views of downtown.

Archived