Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

Okay, here's my ratings for Pawtucket food places and bars:

-Kip's, the breakfast place on Armistice, sucks! I heard it was amazing, but I went there last week and got the Texas French Toast, and it was plain as hell. Oh, and the eggs were all watery.

-The Central Ave Bakery (Central Ave), is incredible. Tons and tons of pastries, mostly Portuguese, and groceries, and extremely inexpensive. They have amazing cannoli's, zeppole and Portuguese sweet bread too. I think I've been there every day this week.

-Toti's Pizza (Central Ave), very good pizza and buffalo chicken calzones. Too bad the waitress is a miserable beotch though...

-Extreme Donuts: This was a huge disapointment. When I see a place called "Extreme Donuts", I think of massive donuts the size of Allie's donut cakes, with tons of frosting piled high, or oozing with fillings. Instead, I walk inside and see a menu of sandwiches and pizza, and then a couple donuts behind the counter that look EXACTLY like Dunkin Donuts. I...don't....get...it..... But anyway, I got a slice of Sicilian pizza, and it was pretty good, nice and greasy and good gravy.

-The JK Club: This is a bar right down the street from me, so I figured I'd check it out since I'd be able to get sloshed and then just walk back home. Big mistake. I was the only person there under 40, and the only thin person there, and the only one there not wearing cut off T-shirts, and the only one there who probably wasn't affiliated with the KKK...

-Carousel Sports Lounge (Armistice): Nice atmosphere, nice pool tables and games, young people, good overall mix in the crowd. Kind of pricey though.

-Vet's Bar (Central): See description for JK Club above...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here's my ratings for Pawtucket food places and bars:

I'll add.

The Madhouse Cafe is basically Crazy Burger north. If you like the food down at Crazy Burger, you will like this. They offer a ton of veggie/vegan options which is good, although my vegetarian friend has been disappointed with her choices so far. Both times I have gone for food have been off hours (Saturday afternoon around 3ish) so it's hard to get a good read on the service from that. I also went for wine and appetizer the other night and it was very good. Although it's not even trying to be a brasserie, I would put the food/service/atmosphere on a par with places like The Bravo Cafe and Red Stripe.

The East Ave Cafe. As mentioned recently changed ownership, much for the worse. Too bad. Not much more I am going to say. They used to be completely great wholesome food for a good price. Perhaps they alienated a chef or two who will eventually come back. I don't know. I miss when it was good.

The Newport Deck on Newport Ave used to be a happy hour favorite back when I worked in the bucket. Pub food, better crowd in the summer, probably too old for Recchia.

The best breakfast place in Pawtucket and maybe in Rhode Island is the Modern Diner. It has gotten pretty expensive over the years but everything I've ever had there I've wanted to have again, which is going to be a hard thing to accomplish since they have so many specials all the time.

Technically, the Garden Grille, Barney's, LJ's are all in Pawtucket but I think they're generally considered as part of the East side.

People say Brothers Pub is good. Never been myself.

The Celtic Pub on Broadway right near the Attleboro line is a cool place once in a while.

As for clubs, there really are none in Pawtucket proper. Cabana Club in Lincoln but right on the border is kind of fun, if you like to shake your ass Latin style. (seriously, if you go on a Friday night you will see some excellent Salsa dancing)

I love all the Pawtucket talk. I'll add my 2 cents.

Kips Diner. I feel somewhat responsible for giving the place a thumbs up.. I just love that there is still an independent old school diner in the area and that i can get a perfectly passable 2eggs, toast, homefries and sausage with coffee for around 3.50. ( and btw, I'm a regular at the Modern and I agree that they are WAY better in terms of quality)

Madhouse Cafe. I went the other nite and the place was packed! the waitress recognized us from the one in south county (I guess we look a little scruffy compared to the mover-shakers that were there that nite) and informed us that it was busy because they just got a big write up in the projo. good for them. I like the food just fine but its a tad expensive for what you get in my opinion. However, they have a big ol' deck for drinking on spring and summer nites and its within walking (stumbling) distance of my house so I'll be trying that out with a couple of other hip folk that live in our neighborhood (Pleasant View)

East Ave. ditto on what Brick said. After 15 or so years of regular patronage I'm sick and tired of getting my heart broke and i will never set foot in that place again. about a year ago i even talked to the manager (might of been the old manager before the sale) about all the changes (quality of chicken, menu items being dropped left and right) and he pretty much gave me a bullcrap line and lied to my face. I went to culinary school, was a cook in the army and have worked in dozens of restaurants so I think I know the difference between a friggen frozen chicken-part patty and a fresh one! ahh well..

Heres a couple others:

China Inn. I go to thai places like aspara and thai star alot but when I'm in the mood for chinese I head here. Pretty great even though they are a little sauce heavy. the steamed dumplings are made to order and are excellent. a downtown Pawtucket institution.

House of Pizza 206 division st. This place looks a little rough but I was taken there by a friend that grew up in Central Falls and now owns Nice Slice on thayer st and is a pizza genius. That being said I'm not recommending the pizza here. its the meatball sub that I stop in for every once in awhile. homemade and pretty damn good. ask for roasted peppers and extra sauce. Not the kind of place you want to bring a date but for takout meatball subs its great.

I heard good stuff about Cabana Club. I'm going to bring my brother there when he visits, he's got the Goya fever, as do I. I'll definitley be checking out Madhouse soon, it's a little far to walk but it's always easier when your loaded!

How's Liberty Lunch? I heard they have great weiners.

Oh, and one more thing, Boulevard Meats, on Armistice almost to Slater Park, a very cool old fashioned meat market. I went in there and felt as though I was in Satriale's from the Sopranos.

• 2 weeks later...

My take on the Madhouse is more socio-political than gastronomic. No doubt, the food is great. The atmosphere, tunage, etc, does nothing for me. I'm kinda down market. All of that said, I've spent plenty there on clients. Plenty.

Modern Diner = wait on line. I live two blocks from there and almost never go. Chow is fair to good, IMO.

Best chow in the area, and my #1 go to is Sun and Moon on Warren Ave in EP. This is true and authentic Mom & Pop homestyle Korean. Stone pot-style is my thing. If you've never been, Korean is all about the condiments: kimchi, pickled diako, etc.

I reiterate: El Paisa in CF positively destroys! Gi-normous portions of fresh, homestyle Colombian chow. Nice, clean place and, now, a full bar. I speak ZERO Spanish and I get by.

Pizza? I've never had a good one here.

On the nightlife tip, there's a place called Cats/KC Tap on Broadway which is really a little diamond in the rough. The owner doesn't book shows per se. He let's locals approach him with a show and cut a deal. It's pretty weird, with a punk rock crowd drifting in and overtaking the baseball-cap-wearin' local sty-lee. Given critical mass, it could become a defacto hot spot.

That is, given critical mass...

Toti's you're talking about is in Seekonk, no?

Ramone's has the best calzones anywhere, and House of Pizza on Division St has the best pizza and grinders in the bucket by far. You gotta get a small though... I think the large is made with the same ball of dough stretched out tight.

How about the best Chinese? That's a mystery. I can't find any place that makes good General Tso's Chicken anywhere in Prov./Pawt. They all do that spongey orange shiite which has no texture, flavor, or plate appeal. And authentic fried rice is supposed to come out brown, not pale yellow. <_<

That's my rant for the day!

Better get a time machine to go to Lisboa. It is a thing in the past.

I believe it was in the location on Exchange Street currently housing Tabu strip club.

Ah, The Bucket. How I love thee.

:shok: Lisboa always had good food - although its' been a few years since I've gone. There'a always Estrela do Mar in E. Prov., though.

I went to the soft opening for LJs last night. (It opens to the public tonight.) It was packed with a diverse crowd. The atmosphere is non-descript, nothing like the funky previous location. I think they will do very well. People were excited to be there.

Derek Wagner (Nick's on Broadway) was there too and he said construction was happening on his new building and he is hoping for a late spring/early summer opening. The small insurance company will continue to be a tenant in the building.

Matt from Farmstead was there too and he said the Farmstead cafe/wine bar optimistically will open early May and realistically in June.

I went to the soft opening for LJs last night. (It opens to the public tonight.) It was packed with a diverse crowd. The atmosphere is non-descript, nothing like the funky previous location. I think they will do very well. People were excited to be there.

Derek Wagner (Nick's on Broadway) was there too and he said construction was happening on his new building and he is hoping for a late spring/early summer opening. The small insurance company will continue to be a tenant in the building.

Matt from Farmstead was there too and he said the Farmstead cafe/wine bar optimistically will open early May and realistically in June.

Great update! Thanks. I won't ask you how you swung an invitation to that event... :thumbsup:

- Garris

I went to LJ's last night for their real opening.

Got there late, about 8:30. They were out of several things on the menu and seemed a little overwhelmed. I think they got a bigger crowd for a Wednesday than they were expecting. My feeling was that they had their opening on a Wednesday to have a practice day or two before the weekend. Anyway, the place was full the entire time I was there eating.

As for the food, I enjoyed my ribs and pork. The pork doesn't seem pulled like the menu says but it was tasty nonetheless. They also have a great selection of beers.

As my companion noted, it is somewhat ironic to have them two doors down from The Garden Grille. I'm surprised the GG guys didn't protest more as I imagine in the summer their patrons will be subject to bbq smell which I'm sure is a turn-off to many vegans.

They were out of several things on the menu and seemed a little overwhelmed. I think they got a bigger crowd for a Wednesday than they were expecting.

This was what I was expecting... I'm not going to go for a week or two to give things (and them) a chance to settle in... The pent up demand for LJ's amongst people I knew on the East Side was huge!

As my companion noted, it is somewhat ironic to have them two doors down from The Garden Grille. I'm surprised the GG guys didn't protest more...

I think it's very cool and smacks of diversity to have them right near each other. Even my sister (who is definitely not a foody and rarely notices such things, and she also likes Ronzio's pizza :blink: ) said the other night in the parking lot there, looking over the new LJ's storefront, Barney's, Garden Grille, and Ronzio's that, "Wow, there's a lot of good restaurants here... Hey, lets go to Maximillian's!"

She's right. Oak Hill has a great little dining scene now.

- Garris

Archived