Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

might i recommend the butterscotch pudding the next time you're at Trinity? it is easily the best pudding in the known universe.

You are so right about this! Best butterscotch pudding by far! And the whipped cream must benefit from being so clsoe to the pudding, because even that seems unusually good too.

Went to LJ's Friday night. At 6:30pm, my wife and I grabbed the last two chairs at the bar. Our first time there, new and old space, so I have nothing to compare it to.

First and most importantly, the food. I would say this is better than average northeast BBQ. I usually judge a BBQ joint by its brisket. Good BBQ pork and chicken are relatively easy to obtain, compared to brisket. LLJ's was excellent, with a nice smoky flavor, tender and not too fatty. The only quirk is that each piece had grill marks, meaning they prepared it beforehand, then heated t on the grill. Not the way I love it, but once I bit into it, it was easy to forgive. Mac and cheese was excellent, and the candied yams were soft yet not overcooked, creamy and sweet. Pefrect! Cornbread was typical northeast sweet corn cake, but good for what it was.

They have an extensive burger repetoire, my wife went with that. A mexican burger with jalapenos and shredded jack cheese. Cooked the way she wanted it, her only complaint was that she would have like the cheese to be melted. A good portion of fries that were not salted. A minor faux pas that was easily rectified by her own hand.

Glass of wine for her, margarita for me. I asked for it rocks/salt, got it rocks and some sort of lime sugar. Not what I wanted, or expected but I drank it. I would have liked the bartender to tell me "oh we dont have salt, just sugar. She didn't.

Service was fine, probably because there were two bartenders. They still have some rough service to smooth out, and the kitchen needs to get into its groove, however this place can definitely overcome the rough patches. The place was absolutely mobbed by the time we left.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where's Cup and Saucer by the way?

Cup and Saucer is now closed. Story I heard is that the owner fell down those back steps and died. I saw some people pulling equipment out of it on Monday morning.

Also, any reviews of LJ's? I tried to go for lunch last Friday, but it isn't open for lunch on Friday or any other day.

Finally, anybody know anything about the gas station on East Ave vaguely opposite the Modern Diner? It is clearly going to be some kind of eatery.

Cup and Saucer is now closed. Story I heard is that the owner fell down those back steps and died. I saw some people pulling equipment out of it on Monday morning.

Also, any reviews of LJ's? I tried to go for lunch last Friday, but it isn't open for lunch on Friday or any other day.

Finally, anybody know anything about the gas station on East Ave vaguely opposite the Modern Diner? It is clearly going to be some kind of eatery.

I saw a "closed for illness" sign on the front door a week ago.... damn that sucks they're closing now permanently...never got to go there.

They make their progress in leaps. And then make no progress for months. About three weeks ago there were 3 or 4 workers there painting, moving things, etc....and then nothing since.

There are a couple of LJ's reviews in the Providence section. I bet most people don't even know that plaza is actually in Pawtucket! I went on opening night and the food was good but the service was spotty and they were out of a bunch of stuff. Since it was opening night and they seemed a little overwhelmed, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. It would be nice to have a BBQ place to walk to since East Ave Cafe has gone down the tubes :(

There are a couple of LJ's reviews in the Providence section. I bet most people don't even know that plaza is actually in Pawtucket!

I moved a bunch of LJs posts from the Providence thread to here. Scroll back through the thread to see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Fan-freakin-tastic! Now we're talkin...

I will definitely be a patron.

Now if someone could buy the old cafe zog (purple building next to east side cafe) and get a little food place in there, preferably ethnic. It would nice if the bucket had a mix of ethnic joints to reflect the population. Some Cape Verdean, some Colombian, etc.. mmm

Better get a time machine to go to Lisboa. It is a thing in the past.

I believe it was in the location on Exchange Street currently housing Tabu strip club.

Ah, The Bucket. How I love thee.

The Tabu is a club that sells some food items. It is not a restaurant. Don't believe we have a strip joint in our town. Nearest is either Providence or Cumberland. I am glad you love the City. Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer, City of Pawtucket.

This was what I was expecting... I'm not going to go for a week or two to give things (and them) a chance to settle in... The pent up demand for LJ's amongst people I knew on the East Side was huge!

I think it's very cool and smacks of diversity to have them right near each other. Even my sister (who is definitely not a foody and rarely notices such things, and she also likes Ronzio's pizza :blink: ) said the other night in the parking lot there, looking over the new LJ's storefront, Barney's, Garden Grille, and Ronzio's that, "Wow, there's a lot of good restaurants here... Hey, lets go to Maximillian's!"

She's right. Oak Hill has a great little dining scene now.

- Garris

Glad you noticed. Just a note. We are expecting an India restaurant to move into the old Barney's Bagle location. Yes, there is GOOD food and ethnic diversity too in Pawtucket. Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer, City of Pawtucket

I'm pretty sure he means an Indian restaurant, because India already has a restaurant spittin' distance from Barney's.

Which would be pretty strange. you have India right there, up the street you have Not Just Snacks, then on Thayer you have Kabob and Curry and then Taste of India on Wickenden. That's a lot of Indian food. But as long as it's good, I'm all for it.

Last nite and tonite my wife and I walked from Pleasant View through the downtown and gave our dinner business to the two only places to eat in downtown.. Mad House Cafe last nite and China Inn tonite.

So great to walk around downtown.. the river looks really quaint, the eagles are flying on top of city hall.. I can't wait for Eltron to start work on the Grant building! There is so much potential.. you can feel it as you walk around.

Gotta say though, the drunk asshole quota is being filled nightly at the bustops in front of the visitor center and Slater Mill, but this will change as things revitalize.

I really wish there were more places to eat downtown. Oak Hill is going to have a great scene no matter what, we need India to open up here!

Gotta say though, the drunk asshole quota is being filled nightly at the bustops in front of the visitor center and Slater Mill, but this will change as things revitalize.

IMO that place is sketchier than Kennedy Plaza on any given evening.

I was at the DMV last week to register my new truck, and I was in such a trance that I didn't even realize I could've been having a burger at Madhouse while I waited.

I came off of School St. and took a left into the parking lot, and there aren't any signs on that side for Madhouse. If there were, the little light bulb would have lit up in my brain and I would have been ok with waiting over an hour for plates.

Are you supposed to park somewhere else, and there isn't a sign because it isn't their parking area? But isn't the place in the Apex building, around the back side? Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep that day? :huh:

The Irish Social Club is on the block, as well. Located at the corner of East Ave, Pawtucket Ave, and James Street, the property includes:

1 bar w/ Class D (private club) liquor license

1 storefront, currently a hairdressers

2x 3-bedroom apartments

1 decent-sized parking lot

Asking price is $250k plus any money current owner puts into repairs. Contact Frank McCabe at 401-595-5883.

Do not contact me. I have no additional information.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the closing of the East Ave. Cafe? I heard there was a dispute of some sort with the landlord, but was wondering if the closure is temporary or permanent. Also, is there anything going on with Madhouse? Their webpage isn't functioning and I've heard a couple rumors...

Also, is there anything going on with Madhouse? Their webpage isn't functioning and I've heard a couple rumors...

I had trouble getting to their webpage a couple weeks ago, but when we went we talked to the manager and she was all up on the place. It was a random weekday evening, and the place wasn't packed, but there were a healthy number of people there. I'm looking forward to going back when their deck is done.

Archived