Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

I also noticed yesterday a new joint in the former Cafe Neva location, on the corner of Central and Newport. It's called Home Plate Cafe, I think, and signage says it's open late night, until 3AM. Has anyone heard anything about this place? Not sure if it's open yet.

I've been wondering about this place myself. Haven't checked it out yet. It has a bunch of signs on the outside with all sorts of hours that it is open. Looks like a breakfast place. But it is open late on Fridays for fish and chips. I will report back when I get a chance to stop in.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard that Millers Roast Beef in East Providence is being flattened for a Walgreens?

Damn it! that place rocks! Its like a little hidden gem, always clean etc.

crape!

oops.. I was mistaken. I thought you were talking about WALTS ROAST BEEF on Newport ave in Pawtucket. (I'm a moron)

I have been to Millers in the past but the Walts in Pawtucket is better. That is if you like roast beef sandwiches. :whistling:

ETA: Bloodyocker, did you mean you didn't think KC's was open anymore, or were you asking about Shannon's (which is still open, btw)?
I was asking about Shannon's place.. good to know its still open. KC's is still doing business right?

So I finally went to Madhouse last night and loved it! I got chicken tender appetizers ("Those Chicken Things") with barbecue sauce and they were awesome. The meat was really tender and white and I don't know what they breaded it in, but it was damn good. My friend got a beef and gorgonzola burger with fries and he loved it too. All the burgers come on Portuguese rolls which I absolutely love too. And the fries, though they were a little too soggy for me, were unbeleivably good nonetheless. I can't describe how they tasted, but trust me, they were good. You could also get sweet potato fries if you want.

I really liked the atmosphere as well, it almost reminds me of Tazza. Great views of the river and downtown I might add. I say give this place another year and it'll be a real destination.

So I finally went to Madhouse last night and loved it!

I'm a big fan of Madhouse. Only been a couple times, but it really shows what a restaurant can do in Pawtucket. Many times on weekends there is a long wait and reservations only. I just hope more restaurants/bars like this come to my town of Pawwwtucket.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Sh!t do I love Madhouse! I brought my parents there today and they absolutely loved it as well. I got the Chicken Parmianah burger, it was f-ing amazing. It was the greasiest cheesiest smushiest burger I've ever had, and the best bun I've ever had either. And the fries, both regular and sweet potato, were greasy in a good way and tasted amazing.

Also, they make their own ketchup, and give it to you with some regular Heinz ketchup as well. Their's is twenty times better.

Can't wait til the outdoor deck is open, I'll be there on some nice warm summer nights.

• 2 weeks later...

Exchange Street Cafe is a gem. High quality chow, reasonable prices.

Thanks to Pam who turned me onto the place. For lack of a better term, it's a chef-owner place. Tons of great bakery done on premises. Where else are you gonna get a sandwich made on a fresh baguette for $4.50? Three soups, four or five lunch specials and that's on a Tuesday.

Bottom line: a cut above anything downtown save MHC. I can't believe it took me this long to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally checked out the China Inn last night. Kind of stupid that I hadn't been there but Chinese hasn't really been on my dinner destination list in quite a while. Everything we had was quite good.

I like it as well. It's my current favorite local Americanized Chinese...

Has anyone tried the new Jac's Wraps on East Street? My sister and I drove by there this past weekend and it was closed, no hours on the door... Are they actually open? The banner says so... It also says order online, but I don't think there was web address?

- Garris

Has anyone tried the new Jac's Wraps on East Street? My sister and I drove by there this past weekend and it was closed, no hours on the door... Are they actually open? The banner says so... It also says order online, but I don't think there was web address?

- Garris

It's (mostly) open for take out from lunch until about 5. They've just sealed the blacktop so they can put tables outside. It's all still a work in progress...tables still not installed...

www.jacswraps.com is just a menu. The Bucket Blog recommends the passionfruit smoothie.

It's (mostly) open for take out from lunch until about 5. They've just sealed the blacktop so they can put tables outside. It's all still a work in progress...tables still not installed...

www.jacswraps.com is just a menu. The Bucket Blog recommends the passionfruit smoothie.

I don't understand why they wouldn't be open later. That is a residential neighborhood, and there is plenty of traffic through the CVS right through until it closes at 9. I would like to try it out, but I don't get home from work until about 6.

I was on Broadway yesterday right near the Attleboro line and I noticed a place called something donuts. It looks like a 24-hour convenience type store but does anyone know if they actually sell donuts? I didn't have time to stop in. The theme in the Bucket seems to be name your store "_________ Donuts" but then don't really sell any (ala Extreme Donuts downtown...).

I don't understand why they wouldn't be open later. That is a residential neighborhood, and there is plenty of traffic through the CVS right through until it closes at 9. I would like to try it out, but I don't get home from work until about 6.

I don't get this either... Like the new Coffee Edge in Wayland Square, this is yet another place I'll likely never go to because it's open when I'm at work.

Can someone explain to me why such places are only open when likely 90+ percent of the adult population under 60 is at work? Is the lunch market thatlucrative? I'm traveling up and down East St too and from the East Side and Pawtucket or 95 all the time after I get home from work. Why don't they want that business?

- Garris

I was on Broadway yesterday right near the Attleboro line and I noticed a place called something donuts. It looks like a 24-hour convenience type store but does anyone know if they actually sell donuts? I didn't have time to stop in. The theme in the Bucket seems to be name your store "_________ Donuts" but then don't really sell any (ala Extreme Donuts downtown...).

Oh, I know the place you're referring to-- Vista Donuts. They do sell donuts, but their most lucrative item for sale is lottery tickets. I'd bet they go thrugh a roll of 1000 scratch tickets before they go through a tray of donuts. If you're looking for donuts, I wouldn't bother.

Oh, I know the place you're referring to-- Vista Donuts. They do sell donuts, but their most lucrative item for sale is lottery tickets. I'd bet they go thrugh a roll of 1000 scratch tickets before they go through a tray of donuts. If you're looking for donuts, I wouldn't bother.

I figured. It looked like one of those places. Another donut letdown (sigh...)

So Friday I had a half day and decided that instead of eating with my work buds I would trek home and have a Jac wrap. Some observations:

1) There is a reason I think they are only open during the daytime - they are not suited for eat-in customers which I think is what most night timers would be. I would imagine that they are scaling up to have dinner hours but don't have the money right now.

2) The space actually looks really fun to play with from an interior design standpoint. It could be a really funky space by the time it is done.

3) The owner is really cool and friendly despite being a Yankee fan. He said that word is getting out and they are getting solid take-out business which is great. Really there are not a lot of options in the area especially with East Ave Cafe closed and up for sale. The kitchen was very busy when I was there and when I was going in, two women were going out with very large take out orders for the medical building next door.

4) I had a turkey wrap with some avocado and field greens and other stuff. It was great. The turkey was not sliced deli turkey, it was real turkey breast cut into chunks.

I thought the East Ave cafe looked dead when I went by a few weeks ago! I didn't know they closed though!

I hear that several restauranteers are looking at this property to buy to reopen a restaurant. I will keep you updated.

So Friday I had a half day and decided that instead of eating with my work buds I would trek home and have a Jac wrap. Some observations:

...I would imagine that they are scaling up to have dinner hours but don't have the money right now.

I swung by today as well. It does have the feel of a "running on a shoestring" operation...

The kitchen was very busy when I was there and when I was going in, two women were going out with very large take out orders for the medical building next door.

...I had a turkey wrap with some avocado and field greens and other stuff. It was great. The turkey was not sliced deli turkey, it was real turkey breast cut into chunks.

I had a similar wrap as well for lunch today, and it was great. Everything was super-fresh, and I loved the option of adding cilantro as well. Prices are nice too.

The smoothie I had was OK, a bit too much of a chopped ice taste/texture. I'm starting to think the best smoothies in the area are made in my kitchen :blink: .

Overall, I really enjoyed the meal. I'll definitely be back.

- Garris

I got lunch at Jac's Wraps today, they are certainly still working out how to process customers and even finishing construction, but my wrap was very yummy!

Did you take the bus there? That's a long walk from RISD :lol: ...

Yup, they're still doing construction and I was one of maybe, oh, 4 or so people ordering at the time, a number that completely overwhelmed the green young teenage staff.

It was a great wrap, though, and there are suprisingly few non-chain places like that around.

- Garris

Don't sell the Vista Donuts completely short - their baked goods are made across the street in a building that the company owns. They actually have some decent pastries there, no lie.

And you can stock up on cigarettes. Bonus.

Don't sell the Vista Donuts completely short - their baked goods are made across the street in a building that the company owns. They actually have some decent pastries there, no lie.

And you can stock up on cigarettes. Bonus.

Thanks, I'll have to hit it up sometime.

Archived