Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

Went to Madhouse for lunch today (2nd time I've been there overall). The place is unbelievable! Got the "Herb"ed "Weiss"enheimer, it was fantastic! One of the best burgers I've had in a long time, hands down.

The outdoor deck is nice, too, although we didn't sit there today.

For anyone who hasn't been there, GO.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Madhouse for lunch today (2nd time I've been there overall). The place is unbelievable! Got the "Herb"ed "Weiss"enheimer, it was fantastic! One of the best burgers I've had in a long time, hands down.

The outdoor deck is nice, too, although we didn't sit there today.

For anyone who hasn't been there, GO.

Good Choice of hamberger -- Herb Weiss

While driving by the East Ave a couple of days ago, I noticed the For Sale sign was gone. Then someone at work mentioned that it had indeed been sold, though he didn't have any details. Has anyone caught wind of anything?

who was the real estate company sellling the restaurant? Herb Weiss

According to a tenant, the building did, in fact, sell to an unknown buyer. It is to remain a restaurant. Demolition is ongoing.

Also, the former Frontier Cafe -- the purple building next door -- is also newly sans real estate sign.

And Jacs seems to be open in the evening. Check 'em out.

According to a tenant, the building did, in fact, sell to an unknown buyer. It is to remain a restaurant. Demolition is ongoing.

Also, the former Frontier Cafe -- the purple building next door -- is also newly sans real estate sign.

And Jacs seems to be open in the evening. Check 'em out.

To be clear, I assume you mean interior renovation at East Sdie Cafe. The outside stuff is the roof being replaced.

I made my second trip to Jac's yesterday. They have added a few more things to the menu (meat pies) and my wrap and smoothie were both excellent once again. the interior is still being finished and I assume at some point there will be more places to sit.

I believe the owner of Kebab n' Curry is opening that new place.

You are right -- the owner is opening up a second site in the shopping plaza on East Avenue. The City of Pawtucket wi working closely with him as he builds out the site. The City Council has given him a liquor license. Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer, City of Pfawtucket

So I'm painting my living and I go over to the Sherwin Williams on Newport Ave Saturday afternoon. And, lo and behold, what do I see but one of my favorite vices from my time in Philadelphia, a Rita's Ice shop.

As if I'm not fat enough, I guess.

I got a flyer from them in the mail a few weeks ago. They that good?

And has anybody been to La Azteca on Newport Ave in EP? I wanna know if its genuine mexican or not.

It depends on what you like. If you like a Del's lemonade and wonder what it

would be like to have about 25 different flavors of it, then you should check it

out.

But I'll happily admit it is mostly sentimental. Unlike if someone decided to

open, say, a Tony Luke's sandwich shop, which is that good.

Ehh.. just so so.

Not really genuine.. Not really that great either.

Ah, too bad... I run by it all the time and was wondering, as it's nice and close to me on the East Side.

Still, for family/friends who don't demand the height of authenticity, I might still give it a try...

- Garris

And has anybody been to La Azteca on Newport Ave in EP? I wanna know if its genuine mexican or not.

I've been wanting to check out both of these places. I have a flier from the Rita's place as well. I also picked up a take-out menu from La Azteca. I live near both of these places. I will post my review when I visit soon.

***On a side note - anyone been to the Homeplate Cafe on Newport Ave. near the train station? Just wondering what that place is like. I know it is fairly new.

:sick: Do not go to the Tin Tin Buffet. It was disgusting even for a buffet place. The sweet and sour sauce was solidifying before my very eyes.

Is this the place right on Newport Ave (vs a buffet located deeping into one of the plazas farther down the street)?

If so, I was running by there one night (close to closing, I guess) and saw several young, female servers (complete in their tux-like outfits) trimming the hedges (fairly badly) with quite small shears.

I was thinking, "Wow, talk about cutting down on overhead. Someone please buy this place some electric hedge trimmers!" Chivalry is apparently dead there as well. Apparently the men working there (visible through the windows) trotted out the women to do the hedges...

- Garris

Is this the place right on Newport Ave (vs a buffet located deeping into one of the plazas farther down the street)?

Yes.

If you really want a decent chinese buffet (and I can understand the appeal), the one in East Providence in the plaza at the corner of 152 and 44 (the Marshall's plaza, across the street from Shaw's) is pretty good.

Garris, do you run over the Henderson Bridge or the Washington Bridge pedestrian bridge? I always wondered if pedestrians were allowed on the Henderson Bridge.

The Henderson Bridge has sidewalks and allows pedestrians. The problem is that the connections onto Massasoit Ave. aren't all that great and there are no connections to Angell/Waterman. You can either jog/walk on the dirt, the road, or go through Richmond Square. It's certainly not pedestrian (or bike!!!) friendly.

The Henderson Bridge has sidewalks and allows pedestrians. The problem is that the connections onto Massasoit Ave. aren't all that great and there are no connections to Angell/Waterman. You can either jog/walk on the dirt, the road, or go through Richmond Square. It's certainly not pedestrian (or bike!!!) friendly.

Everytime I cross that bridge my heart aches thinking of the unacheived potential. I can see wide bike/pedestrian lanes, trolleys in the median, hell even some plantings. The bridge is hella wide. Then where it lands in EP could really be an amazing mixed use highly urban area. I'm hoping the waterfront redevelopment will help bring some of my hopes to reality.

Also, just as a continued update, Jac's is fleshing out some more.

Currently, their hours have expanded to 10-7 Mon-Sat.

In Sept., they expect to be open until 11 on Friday and Saturday, and later in the fall open on Sunday.

I'm not sure how the interior will work. It is interesting. Instead of regular tables and chairs they have set up these two person plush chair/loveseat things and they are using coffee table height tables instead of dining height tables. This seems more cafe-ish to me, but since everything they serve is finger food and doesn't require knife/fork, I guess it could work.

Archived