Nice aerial of downtown Johnson City TN

tndude

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a cool picture.

I enjoyed my extended stays in Johnson City while my daughter was in college there (ETSU). I felt like it was a second home town.

There is so much potential in that City to make it a livable, walkable City by preserving and adding to the density that already exists.

Great view of Johnson City! Of all the Tri-Cities, Johnson City has always been my favorite. I especially love the mountain vistas you see from Johnson City, which unfortunately are not fully captured in this aerial photo. Still, it shows the downtown area beautifully.

Yes Johnson City has a very nice backdrop of the mountions. Sometime I'm going to get my digital camera out and get a shot of downtown with the mountains in the background. It's very nice.

Very close! As of July 04' it was 57,812 and the city is growing. It was 55,469 in the year 2000.

That is a very nice view of the old downtown! I have never seen an aerial view of JC before. Would also be nice to see a similar view of the "newer" downtown area on N. Roan St. - near the large bank and Target.

You should submit your photos to :

http://www.city-data.com/city/Johnson-City-Tennessee.html

I love this site that this link is to. You can go to about most and USA city and get vital information.

No one has yet to post any Johnson City photos to this excellent site posted above. I suggest that anyone with the photos send them in here and get JC on the map on this site as well.

Thanks again for posting!

Of the top of my head it's around 55K. The largest of the Tri-Cities.

There are some other photos of Johnson City here somewhere that "PH" posted. It also shows the newer part of town. This is the old downtown area. The larger road you see on the top there is Interstate 26. Very busy freeway. It runs from Kingsport all the way to the South Carolina coast. Those photos are actually listed under the "Kingsport photo" post.

I think the road that runs below it is University Parkway, but I may be wrong. Its been awhile since I have been in that part of town and not there very often at all. I think it runs to Elizabethton. Another neat NE Tennessee town.

Nice pic! This is the first pic I have ever seen of Johnson City I do believe. Looks like it retains some nice density, but the newer roadways appear to have chopped up the downtown quite a bit.

Hey Storm,

It would be great if you could get some photos of Eastman on here. The density of that plant is amazing and would be a great addition for the forum members. I had some pix and of-course the camera screwed up on me. If you can find any aerials of Kingsport that would be great too. Its really great to have an upper East Tennessean in the forum.

The Cities of Bristol and Johnson City I think were both incorporated in 1856. Kingsport was not incorporated until 1917 but there was a settlement there since about 1770. Bristol and Johnson City both were on the rail line first and they by passed Kingsport at the time with a promise to dredge the Holston river for barge traffic. Kingsport was one of the first planned cities in the country and one of the first to use a city manager form of government.

Don't take me to the bank on these facts but I think they are close.

I think that is correct. I live here, but not too familiar with the history -which is a shame, because a good friend of the family knows all about the history of Bristol and has written several books. We have some too. I will do some research and post here.

Those photos of JC are nice. I like the ones of the newer part of town that you posted too. Have you posted those of the newer part of town on the other "skyscraper" website? Those are neato.

The Cities of Bristol and Johnson City I think were both incorporated in 1856. Kingsport was not incorporated until 1917 but there was a settlement there since about 1770. Bristol and Johnson City both were on the rail line first and they by passed Kingsport at the time with a promise to dredge the Holston river for barge traffic. Kingsport was one of the first planned cities in the country and one of the first to use a city manager form of government.

The only photos I have posted were the Kinsport thread> The majority of my post now are in the Nashville sub-forum and that keeps me very busy. I hope you can get some photos of the Tri-Cities posted on a regular basis and keep us informed. I will travel up that way in may and may take a few shots if i have time.

We actually have had some local celebrations - as Bristol was celebrating its "150th" birthday earlier this month. I do not know why I did not realize this before. I do not recall Johnson City doing anything yet, perhaps it was later in 1856 that it was incorporated?

Archived