CIAA Tournament

dubone

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...aa/13965169.htm

It is pretty unbelievable that ~30,000 people will be descending on uptown Charlotte for a week, spending money at hotels, restaurants, bars, and in the Arena. Significant number will also probably tak transit, although it is a shame that the trolley is suspended for construction.

$12million in economic impact is pretty good for a week. It makes it seem pretty likely that aloft, TWELVE, and Ritz-Carlton will see success when they complete their buildings within two blocks of the arena. I'm sure that as events like this continue to be booked uptown the hotel industry will continue to grow uptown.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all these events coming to Charlotte every year, I guess we do need more hotel rooms. They said on the news that all hotels are full in center city. People coming now are staying in the suburbs . When the light rail line opens by 2008, it will probably be great since some of the CIAA events are being held in southend too. I think Jillians Southend is hosting a big party. Wish the trolley was still running a little longer!!!

Yeah, not to mention all the hotel rooms on the line, Tyvola and Woodlawn especially.

Im really looking forward to this tourny, and seeing all the people in uptown. Im gonna try to get as many pics as possible this coming week. Lets hope the weather holds up...

Yeah, I think aloft, Ritz and TWELVE should all be open by 2008, but I'm not sure if all three will be open by spring of that year. Also, if the Observer's sources are right, and the NHOF is going to be coming, we might see some other hotels announced and possibly built by that time.

Considering how many other projects will be built by 2008 other than just the hotels, those people will be pleasantly surprised by downtown. I love economic multipliers... it is only going to get better.

Well, that's prolly 30,000 people in one day for one of the games, the semi-finals and finals. Totalled will be around 125,000 people. Not everyone is going to the games, there are many free events and other events, like the Step Show and Fashion Show. Anyways I'm going to the CIAA and it's my school's last year in the conference too!

There was a man on the news last night, WBTV I believe, that was talking about how he didn't really feel "welcomed" to Charlotte. He was saying that there are not enough signs nor enough Charlotte citizens and store employees extending their welcome to him. Do you think Charlotte has done enough to welcome these thousands of people to our city?

Yeah...I think that's the problem. I was talking to a bunch of my friends and I mentioned how there was going to be a lot more people in town this week and they had no idea why. After this first time around, Charlotteans will see how big this tournament is and will be ready for it even more so next year.

I don't think a lot of Charlotteans care about CIAA. Most people are into NCAA and not small school basketball. No one I know is talking about it. Most don't even know about it. Once people do become aware of it they will probably put it in the same category as Speed Street - an inconvenience.

I'd like to know why the CIAA expects us to go out of our way to make them feel welcome. I remember hearing the CCCP at the First Ward meeting telling us to make feel welcome. I thought that was odd. I mean, we're adults, right. And I can't remember instructions like that before. Now there's a comment from a CIAA attendee that we have not made him feel welcome.

Why is this group not satisfied just to have their event and a good time?

It is just that they haven't seen it yet. I think just like Speed Street, once people remember seeing the crowds, then they'll know better to make a big deal of it.

I think the fact that Nordstrom is opening a temporary store, though, is at least one sign that the city is rolling out the red carpet.

CIAA is more of a big social extravaganza than a basketball tournament--as evidenced by the sheer number of events outside of basketball games. It's actually something of an HBCU homecoming. I didn't attend any of the schools in CIAA, but I will certainly be in the mix with bells on. Has Charlotte ever hosted the event before?

It is pretty unbelievable that ~30,000 people will be descending on uptown Charlotte for a week, spending money at hotels, restaurants, bars, and in the Arena. Significant number will also probably tak transit, although it is a shame that the trolley is suspended for construction.

$12million in economic impact is pretty good for a week. It makes it seem pretty likely that aloft, TWELVE, and Ritz-Carlton will see success when they complete their buildings within two blocks of the arena. I'm sure that as events like this continue to be booked uptown the hotel industry will continue to grow uptown.

It's come out that the city and county had to spend more than $1 million in tax money to lure the tournament to Charlotte and that considering the other costs, such as the increased police presence, the cost/benefit return to the city/county may not be worth it.

In comparison the Bass Master's tournament last year brought in just as much money and it only cost the taxpayers $50,000. And the Wachovia championship golf tournmanment brought in $40,000,000 and it did not cost the city anything.

I'm not so sure that was a secret. They have always said that we brought the tournament here from Raleigh by offering $1m in scholarship money.

Personally, I'm okay with the $1m if it really does reap $12m for the city. The multiplier for all those people being downtown is probably considerably higher than the Bass Master and Lake Wylie.

Also, there are studies alluded to when they first announced the larger African'American Cultural Center that indicate the large economic returns from african american tourism. If thousands of people are newly exposed to this city in a positive way (the MLK renaming is one way that many of them will gain a positive first impression of the city), it could significant returns overall.

It's come out that the city and county had to spend more than $1 million in tax money to lure the tournament to Charlotte and that considering the other costs, such as the increased police presence, the cost/benefit return to the city/county may not be worth it.

In comparison the Bass Master's tournament last year brought in just as much money and it only cost the taxpayers $50,000. And the Wachovia championship golf tournmanment brought in $40,000,000 and it did not cost the city anything.

Congrats Charlotte you guys have a first class event these folks are going to spend a ton of money in your city you should feel good because it's a win,win sitution because most of your taxpayer money will be helping people get a good education and it's just going to add a lot of flava to your city trust me your are going to be fighting tooth and nail to keep this event at the end of 2008, you can't help but fall in love with this event.

There was a man on the news last night, WBTV I believe, that was talking about how he didn't really feel "welcomed" to Charlotte. He was saying that there are not enough signs nor enough Charlotte citizens and store employees extending their welcome to him. Do you think Charlotte has done enough to welcome these thousands of people to our city?
The worst thing you can do is not roll out the welcome mat word of mouth will kill you with the CIAA fateful remember these are educated black people and they will be taking notes and keep a record on all the incidents that go on and report it back to Leon Kerry, treat them the same way you treat the ACC fateful and you will be fine.

The CIAA is a big thing and will bring in people from all over. What always amazed me when it was in Raleigh was being asked for directions. I always made sure I would help anyone knowing that person had come here to spend money. It was great while we had it and not sure if we will get it back. I personally thing the $12M number is low.

Archived