CIAA Tournament

dubone

I've never seen the amount of activity in center city as was present this past weekend. Unbelievable, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Next year, the city will SURELY roll out the red carpet for the tournament since they now know what all the hoopla's about.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those unfamiliar with the temporary Nordstrom, see here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=348792

I'm glad it did well. Hopefully a lot of things are coming together to convince permanent department store retail to locate here. We'll have a lot more events to bring people here, just like CIAA.

While I didn't go to any of the festivities (too busy planning a wedding), I had family (HSBC alum and not) come visit for the tourny & the parties. And they drove from SC and Georgia to attend. I suspect that this was not ususual. The CIAA lost a lot of the more "well known" HSBC's like Howard who joined another conference so I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout. Schools like Shaw, etc are notorious for their devoted alumni and I'm hoping events like this will renew interest in HSBCs in our young people.

In speaking to family & friends, some of the complaints about uptown Charlotte were that there was a lack of parking & that the streets were jammed (on Friday my bus home was 1 hour late) and that Charlotte needs better bars & restaurants and clubs, essentially more things to see & do. On a positive note, I heard plenty of good things about how clean the city from visitors and from residents I heard how this was one of the few times that they felt that "uptown" was place for them.

I don't think Howard was ever part of the CIAA, the "well known" HBCUs that left the CIAA was Hampton, Norfolk, and NC A&T, all three left in the 90's to move up to Division I in the MEAC, and WSSU and NCCU are doing the same within the next two years. Well JCSU did pretty well representing their hometown, their Sigmas won the stepshow. One of the reasons Commissioner Leon Kerry wanted to move the CIAA to Charlotte is to attract the remaining independent Division II HBCUs in Georgia and South Carolina and also to try to get some SIAC members which are also another Division II conference. SIAC memberships include Albany State University, Benedict College, Clark Atlanta University, Fort Valley State University, Kentucky State University, Lane College, LeMoyne-Owen College, Miles College, Morehouse College, Paine College and Tuskegee University.

I've never seen the amount of activity in center city as was present this past weekend. Unbelievable, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Next year, the city will SURELY roll out the red carpet for the tournament since they now know what all the hoopla's about.

Now you see why Raleigh did not want to loose it and fought so hard to keep it.

I don't think Howard was ever part of the CIAA, the "well known" HBCUs that left the CIAA was Hampton, Norfolk, and NC A&T, all three left in the 90's to move up to Division I in the MEAC, and WSSU and NCCU are doing the same within the next two years. Well JCSU did pretty well representing their hometown, their Sigmas won the stepshow. One of the reasons Commissioner Leon Kerry wanted to move the CIAA to Charlotte is to attract the remaining independent Division II HBCUs in Georgia and South Carolina and also to try to get some SIAC members which are also another Division II conference. SIAC memberships include Albany State University, Benedict College, Clark Atlanta University, Fort Valley State University, Kentucky State University, Lane College, LeMoyne-Owen College, Miles College, Morehouse College, Paine College and Tuskegee University.

HOWARD & A&T left the CIAA in the 1971.....whenever the MEAC was formed....refer to this link...

http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_sports/co...228140109990001

The SIAC seems to be more robust in terms of member institutions. I'm surprised the CIAA doesn't already have some SC or GA schools.

The SIAC seems to be more robust in terms of member institutions. I'm surprised the CIAA doesn't already have some SC or GA schools.

Until recently, the CIAA had no reason to expand. Losing Hampton, Norfolk State, North Carolina Central and Winston Salem State (NCCU & WSSU will join the MEAC next year); 4 heavy hitters within the last 10 years will hurt.

The reason the CIAA became so popular was due to the geographical locations of the school (NC,VA, DC,MD,DE)....I've heard many a tale about the historic battles between A&T, Norfolk State, WSSU (Earl the Pearl Monroe..."Black Jesus") and Howard. Not to far of a drive in addition to folk having relatives in many of the cities.

I think the MEAC will ultimately grow to be as large or larger than the CIAA in the upcoming years having located the tournament in Raleigh with NC A&T(a lot of people don't realize how big of an HBCU A&T actually is...well over 10,000 students), NCCU and WSSU (both are growing tremendously fast) in the immediate area.

Look for the CIAA to add 3 to 4 new teams (if possible) from SC, GA and AL.....great schools with a lot of tradition in the SIAC.....it'll be tough recruting...all depends on the dollars.

According to the government channel, the CIAA took in 15,000 more people than it did last year, with a total of 125,000 attendees. Crime was also way down during the week.

That number of visitors is just incredible. Hopefully by the end of the year, the numbers will be crunched on the total impact on the hotel industry here. The signs are already seeming to be very positive.

It would be nice, though, if Charlotte resolves the parking complaint. That has been the most significant negative for visitors, and for Charlotte residents coming downtown.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The CIAA announced today that their 2007 football championship game will be played in Charlotte on November 10 at Memorial Stadium. This is much smaller than the basketball tournament so I wonder what, if any, kind of economic impact this will have.

• 2 months later...

Something I will be watching this year at the CIAA tournement is how well the LYNX Blue line gets used. The CIAA will be one of the first major events to occur and be able to make good use of the LYNX. Hopefully the powers that be will heavily advertise the LYNX so that visitors to the city will be aware of it and how to use it.

Something I will be watching this year at the CIAA tournement is how well the LYNX Blue line gets used. The CIAA will be one of the first major events to occur and be able to make good use of the LYNX. Hopefully the powers that be will heavily advertise the LYNX so that visitors to the city will be aware of it and how to use it.

Thats completely untrue. It is far more than Raleigh WAS paying, but once the tournament was open to bids both cities offered about $1 million.

"During the bidding, both cities pledged $1 million to the scholarship fund, a huge increase over the $340,000 that

Raleigh's taxpayers and corporations combined to give in 2005. Charlotte won the tournament in part because of the

allure of the uptown environment, where fans could walk from hotel to party to game and back."

http://www2.nccommerce.com/eclipsfiles/13468.pdf

Archived