CIAA Tournament

dubone

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.... All of this is just a rehash of this thread when it was created a year ago. I will point out that if Charlotte's downtown and arena were such draws, there would be no need to have also thrown in a million dollars (4X what Raleigh was paying) to get them to even pay attention to Charlotte.

Well.... All of this is just a rehash of this thread when it was created a year ago. I will point out that if Charlotte's downtown and arena were such draws, there would be no need to have also thrown in a million dollars (4X what Raleigh was paying) to get them to even pay attention to Charlotte.

Did you read the previous post that stated Raleigh's bid was also $1 million as well? Obviously money is going to play into who is chosen, but when a competing city puts in the same $1 million bid you can't say that there is no need to throw in a million dollars to equal their bid.

I did read that post as I responded to it, now and a year ago. It was still 4x over what was being paid and the fact that Raleigh had to respond to attempt to keep it there. I also note above that some of the people who came to the tournament said they didn't feel welcomed in Charlotte so I don't think the claims being made for the arena and for that matter a "vibrant downtown" had much to play in the decision.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experiences with the tournament last year, those who didn't feel welcome in Charlotte constituted a very small minority; as a matter of fact, the biggest complaint seemed to be parking and traffic (which is usually a concern about any downtown in general at any given time, not just for special events). To me, it's pretty obvious that having the main venues (arena and convention center) downtown, within walking distance of each other at that, played a huge role in the tournament's success and will continue to do so. I think this article does a great job of showing that Charlotte's centralized venues downtown sealed the deal, especially when you consider that Raleigh even offered to build a CIAA headquarters and hall of fame to increase their chances of the tournament staying there.

I hope CIAA chooses Charlotte as it's permanent host city as the commissioner wants it, I kinda miss going to the CIAA functions since my school is no longer part of the CIAA (WSSU) and now that NCCU is gone all the big name NC HBCUs are also gone. A centralized location does help in Charlotte's case, everything is in walking distance and if not there's always the Gold Rush or take any of the Lynx Blue Line stations that are in Uptown and South End. Imagining going to an event in the Convention Center and taking the Blue Line to the Arena if you feel lazy or if it's raining. The 2008 CIAA will be the first time the tournment event goers will see the LRT operating, I'll bet it will give off a good impressive.

• 3 months later...

Archived