Lionstone Group development

smeagolsfree

Just wanted to expand on the post by Nashville bound about the Lionstone Group purchase of the Shoneys/Mandrell site on Demonbreun.

I was out yesterday morning and saw a core drilling truck at the site. I did ask what might be planned here and the response was interesting. They said they thought the Lionstone Group had plans to put an urban town-home community here that would fit in with the rest of the development on Demonbreun. I immediately contacted William and John and passed all info along as they were currently about to hook up with Dave. Just remember to be a snoop when you see core drilling trucks in and around town and dont be afraid to go and ask questions. I did want to update you guys and get your thoughts about such a development in this area and get comments.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they add some retail and/or office space to the planned development. Townhouses alone would seem to shortchange that piece of prime property. Maybe they are already think that way becuase I can see much more money made with such a development.

That's what I was thinking as well. I thought they would have to sell the town-homes for a high dollar amount to make any money. I think it would be a waste to just have town-homes on that property. I think that the core drilling team just had part of the story too. I guess we will just have to wait and see what develops.

I hope they add some retail and/or office space to the planned development. Townhouses alone would seem to shortchange that piece of prime property. Maybe they are already think that way becuase I can see much more money made with such a development.

I would think there would be a good deal of retail if it is indeed an urban townhome community. Not to sure about office though. Anyway, it sounds like a very development for the area, and continues the momentum that is building there.

SFree and NBound,

I could be satisfied with a "residential only" building on that site if there are lots of units and it's an eye-catching building. And it needs to be AT LEAST three stories (and preferably four to seven) tall. Ideally, there will be retail/office space on the bottom and residential on the top floors.

No doubt, that is a prime piece of property. And if it materialzes, the project could spur development of the land at 12th and Demonbreun. Downtown will best be connected to Midtown via Demonbreun. Connecting Downtown to Midtown via Broadway is essentially hopeless with the McDonald's, Firestone, Nissan, Reed and Beaman cheese. Church and Charlotte also offer challenges. It's unfortunate how the two areas are severed.

WW

I am in glowing concordence that a bunch of residential mid-rise on the site would be totally spank-taculous. I definitely think, however, that the properties fronting Demonbreun should have retail, and yes--yet more bars. Hopefully Lionstone will use durable, real, and respectable materials all around so that the currently hopping joints on the north side of Demonbreun will be embarrassed into upgrading their styrofoam facades. Lots of room for tables out on the sidewalks (without the cheezy outdoor partition walls, if legally possible) would be smashing and bad-addical.

Then...assuming traffic is nice and calm along Demonbreun...that street would be unbeatable. With some apartments above the new row of restaurant/retail to keep life pulsing through the place, even when things slow down a bit, it would be perfect. A Demonbreun which is nicely enclosed by such fabric would almost certainly make for a grand open-vista "surprise" approach into the Roundabout, and create a fantastic opportunity for a formal "gateway" into the Gulch on the opposite end.

Given the width of the street, I agree with William--four stories on either side is about as low as it should go, three would be bare-minimum acceptable. But, personally, I would cap it at six, unless the seventh was a open portico level with something of a setback. That's just me. I haven't measure Demonbreun and done the Civic Art math or anything.

But this is exciting! The whole durn town is exciting! Everyday I get more and more thrilled to be a Nashvillian with a mind towards urbanity, and I am more and more appreciative of this awesome website.

SFree and NBound,

I could be satisfied with a "residential only" building on that site if there are lots of units and it's an eye-catching building. And it needs to be AT LEAST three stories (and preferably four to seven) tall. Ideally, there will be retail/office space on the bottom and residential on the top floors.

No doubt, that is a prime piece of property. And if it materialzes, the project could spur development of the land at 12th and Demonbreun. Downtown will best be connected to Midtown via Demonbreun. Connecting Downtown to Midtown via Broadway is essentially hopeless with the McDonald's, Firestone, Nissan, Reed and Beaman cheese. Church and Charlotte also offer challenges. It's unfortunate how the two areas are severed.

WW

I'm in total agree with your assessment, William. It just makes sense to me....4 to 7 stories residential with retail on the bottom floor. I certainly hope the people at Lionstone feel the same way. You're also right about connecting midtown to downtown thru Demonbreum. Right now that the only likely way that will happen. I think that it's quite important for the whole area fr this "connection" to be made. Imagine an urban neighborhood feel from the Cumberland River all the way out to I-440. Wow!

• 7 months later...

All the buildings that Lionstone purchased here have been demolished. As far as anything else goes, nothing. They did try to buy another building that would ease the development, but that owner is not going to sell. So they have to plan and build the project around this little eyesore in the middle of the block.

I remember an article about the building and it belongs to someone in the music industry. The building is a small brick building surrounded by a chain link fence with barb wire at the top. Real Ugly!

• 2 weeks later...
During the forum meet yesterday, we met with a sales agent for the Rhythm Lofts which will be built across the street from this property. She mentioned the "W" rumor and told us that they contacted Lionstone to see if they could tell prospective buyers that a "W" hotel was being planned to be built across the street. Unfourtunately, they were told it was still too early to say. Still, I think the "W" is the likely result of this project, and it wouldn't surprise me if they build a hotel / condo project like the ones they have under construction in Dallas and have announced for Atlanta. I'm guessing this project could be in the 20 - 25 story range. Here's a rendering for the recently annouced Atlanta "W" hotel / condo project.

AtlantaW.jpg

Looks nice. I have not heard anything on thw 'W' in a while so I hope things are proceeding under the radar.

I am also interested in any information concerning th eproperty at the corner of 12th and Demonbreun...is Eaking planning to develop anythime soon?

Archived