Relocating to Memphis?

fearlessvk

If Fearless's background is in the humanities--literature, and so on--she should appreciate this, the "preachin' station/House of Glory" on Summer Avenue. The guy stands outside with a microphone and preaches to the traffic.

original.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just estimating the vote inside the city based on the fact that the most genuinely liberal state senator in the state--Steve Cohen--is a white democrat and is elected from a white Memphis district, thus I would say that Kerry got a substantial amount of white support--though probably not a majority. With most likely 90% black support and 40% white support, I "guessed" at a 75-25 vote.

My guess would be that there was significant white support for the Kerry ticket in Midtown, but in East Memphis and Cordova whites were solidly in the GOP column. This is a somewhat-educated guess. I haven't researched the precinct results, but I remember the ratio of yard signs.

Steve Cohen is an interesting fellow. Certainly he's a liberal Democrat, but a conservative chap like me doesn't mind him too much. I actually agreed with him on the lottery - I think it helped save Tennessee's college and university system from the brink of disaster. Maybe because he's at the state level, dealing with and talking intelligently about real issues, I'm more open to his viewpoints than the typical national Democrat who's just dishing out the same, tired old talking points. Or maybe it's just because he's a big Memphis Tigers supporter! Similarly, I voted for Phil Bredesen, a Democrat, at the state level over his opponent, a conservative Repulican congressman. I thought Bredesen did a fine job as Nashville Mayor, he had administrative experience that the congressman lacked, and his health care industry background made him well-suited to deal with the TennCare mess.

State and local politicians, I think, can sidestep the normal party stereotypes because they usually deal with a different set of issues.

Similarly, I voted for Phil Bredesen, a Democrat, at the state level over his opponent, a conservative Repulican congressman. I thought Bredesen did a fine job as Nashville Mayor, because he had administrative experience that the congressman lacked, and because his health care industry background made him well-suited to deal with the TennCare mess.

Interestingly that Pharaoh Phil did better amongst people who DIDN'T know him than those who did with his astonishingly revisionist campaign ads in '02. It's unfortunate no Republicans of any distinction have stepped up to challenge him and his appallingly corrupt administration this year. I don't regret my vote for Van Hilleary (as one of Pharoah Phil's former Nashville constitutents) one iota. It's too bad he doesn't run again.

Interesting urban political history fieldmarshal, thanks for posting! BTW there's one thing we agree on, though for very different reasons: it pisses me off to no end that the Republicans get RED on those maps!! That's OUR color, dammit!! Since when did "better dead than red" refer to trent lott and dick cheney?? Hrmph. I want my revolutonary red back :)

Errrr, but seriously...

The picture of the outdoor preacher is great! Haha - does he have to get permission from the city to use a microphone in public space like that?? Actually, loud public street preachers are by no means foreign to Berkeley - it's just that around here, most of them are literally insane, and usually forecasting the end of the world or some such apocalyptic vision! There's also a Christian band that sets up frequently on saturday afternoons on the corner of telegraph & haste (a couple blocks south of uc berkeley) and plays devotional songs in public. Sooo, no doubt SF isn't as crazy-atheist as it's made out to be, and neither is memphis as fundamentalist.... still, it's true, I've just NEVER seen so many churches in my life!! We didn't really get out to the burbs, I gather, so I wasn't seeing the big megachurhces or anything like that.... just these really small dilapidated urban ones, they'd invariably have these crumbling little marquee-like things outside with some kind of christian-inspirational message on them.

Anyway - I think SOME culture shock is a good thing. I mean, I want to be comfortable around people and I don't want to seem like a freak, but too many people always reside within their absolute comfort zone, surrouned by the familiar and the predictable. I'm ready to experience something a little different - even if only temporarily....

(this is all presuming I don't instantly DIE trying to merge onto the highway for the first time in about 10 years - I haven't driven a car since I was a teenager!!)

Cheers,

S

Hilarious about fighting over the colors! I expected fieldmarshal's position but not yours. Maybe the conservatives can take Che's image too ;)

If you live in CY, you hopefully won't be required to do any merging on our fantastically confusing interstate system. You should be able to avoid Poplar on your commute as well (the most stressful part of my day is my Poplar commute AGAINST traffic).

Hilarious about fighting over the colors! I expected fieldmarshal's position but not yours. Maybe the conservatives can take Che's image too ;)

If you live in CY, you hopefully won't be required to do any merging on our fantastically confusing interstate system. You should be able to avoid Poplar on your commute as well (the most stressful part of my day is my Poplar commute AGAINST traffic).

It's like the bloods and crips. :lol:

Still think she'd like downtown better than Cooper-Young. There aren't any apartments there anyway, just houses. Elsewhere in Midtown there are tons of old 75 yr. old apt. buildings. Can you imagine what fearless will make of our cheap rents?

A two bedroom here would probably fetch $550:

56469156.jpg

Same with these and the highrise Gilmore in the background. Plus, you're right on funky Madison Ave. full of indie stores, bars, and so on, and right across the street from the BBQ Shop:

44970104.jpg

This has a canopy :P so a two bedroom would probably be $675:

56409953.jpg

This is an old landmark full of old southern ladies, so about $650:

56409949.jpg

You should be able to avoid Poplar on your commute as well (the most stressful part of my day is my Poplar commute AGAINST traffic).

I hate driving on Poplar anytime! The lanes are just so tight and everyone is in such a hurry to get to the next stop light. :wacko:

Archived