Greenville, NC

Lithuania

I decided to go out today and take some pictures of Greenville, NC, aka G-Vegas, and share them with the board. Greenville's a fast-growing city in Eastern NC...a small city that is facing a lot of growing pains (especially with traffic). Greenville is also home to East Carolina University with a student population of over 20,000. Greenville has a population of around 75,000, and that number grows by a couple thousand per year it seems.

This is the renovated old Greene Street Bridge, which was relocated to the opposite side of the Town Common and replaced with modern bridges. Supposedly, this will be the start of a new greenway which will run parallel to the Tar River.

th_DSC00825.jpg

th_DSC00824.jpg

Starlight Cafe - downtown of 5th Street

th_DSC00823.jpg

Looking northward on Evans Street. Evans Street is finally seeing a rebirth.

th_DSC00822.jpg

Ham's Brewhouse. Used to be a funeral home.

th_DSC00821.jpg

Greenville's "Skyline"

th_DSC00820.jpg

Entrance to ECU campus.

th_DSC00819.jpg

New Municipal Building.

th_DSC00817.jpg

The renovated Blount Harvey Building. The new tenants will include a florist/gift shop, wine shop, and restaurant.

th_DSC00815.jpg

Looking south down Evans Street.

th_DSC00813.jpg

Old Hotel Building...now Self Help Credit Union Building.

th_DSC00812.jpg

Courthouse Annex.

th_DSC00811.jpg

Pitt County Courthouse.

th_DSC00809.jpg

Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, home of the Pirates.

th_DSC00807.jpg

th_DSC00805.jpg

Sorry for the lack of quality and the small size of the pics...

Here are the links to the actual images if you want to see larger images:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00825.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00824.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00823.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00822.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00821.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00820.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00819.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00818.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00817.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00815.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00813.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00812.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00811.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00809.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00807.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c112/dgmalin...nt=DSC00805.jpg

hope some of ya'll found it interesting.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately with the way these pictures posted, you can't see too much. I'm a novice with this stuff so please bear with me...

Of course, being a college town, there is a fair amount of bars, clubs, and restaurants downtown. However, there isn't much retail and residential, and that's what's been hurting for a while. I've heard there are plans for ECU to build another dormatory and a hotel in the downtown, but who knows.

I'll try and get some better pictures soon...I took all of the ones above from my car.

I think If Greenville plays its cards right, it can become a major commercial hub for Eastern NC, at least second to Wilmington. It would also be great if an interstate extension could connect Greenville will the Hampton Roads area in Virgina. Maybe one day Greenville, NC will be like Greenville, SC

Good post, Cityboi. I agree, a decent highway between Greenville and Hampton Roads would definitely boost the economy even more. My parents live in Chesapeake, VA, and I have to take a countryside two lane highway to get up there. It's surprising busy, too, because it is the most direct link between Greenville and Hampton Roads.

Greenville has really become the second commercial hub in Eastern NC...it's a busy little Town. With the hospital and ECU expanding, the economy will expand even more.

I belive Greenville will share power with Wilmington, as East NC main cities. It has the university, which is a major factor. Also transportation and access is getting better. I see this city bringing eastern NC up to pair with the other cities in the state. By the way, cool pics.

I belive Greenville will share power with Wilmington, as East NC main cities. It has the university, which is a major factor. Also transportation and access is getting better. I see this city bringing eastern NC up to pair with the other cities in the state. By the way, cool pics.

I think connectivity is the major barrier that eastern NC has to growth. If you look at it, NC has invested a lot of resources in upgrading 64, 264, and 70--all of which facilitate east-west travel, and more specifically connect to Raleigh. But there are no highways like that running north-south. All we really have are 13 and 17.

I'm from northeastern NC, near Elizabeth City. Every year, my family would drive to Wilmington for the Port City Classic, and I swear my father was a genius for finding a "direct" path. It would be great if the US 13/NC 11 corridor could provide an intrastate north-south route, with a full beltway around Greenville.

It would be great if the US 13/NC 11 corridor could provide an intrastate north-south route, with a full beltway around Greenville.

Indeed, NC 11 is a great road and eventually, NCDOT will construct the SW leg of the Greenville bypass. Ive always envisioned a four lane freeway/expressway from Suffolk, VA to Georgetown, SC being part of the second US 17A to connect the US 17A in SC, which are both inland alternates of the mainline coastal US 17.

The route would follow (providing bypasses if needed):

Starting near the James River Bridge in Suffolk

VA 32

US 13

ENTER NC

NC 11

US 13

NC 11

Between Kenansville and Atkinson, build new NC 11

NC 11

Between Freeman, Columbus County and several miles north of teh SC State line; New hwy construction

NC 905

ENTER SC

SC 905

BYPASS CONWAY

US 701

Yellow is existening route

Brown is new highway construction needed

I believe it changes back to 2 lanes just north of Pink Hill (south of Kinston).

Last i traveled along NC 11 between I-40 and Kinston, they were four laning most of 11.

Between Greenville and Kinston, thats an old school four lane arterial built back in the late 60s/early 70s

Indeed, NC 11 is a great road and eventually, NCDOT will construct the SW leg of the Greenville bypass. Ive always envisioned a four lane freeway/expressway from Suffolk, VA to Georgetown, SC being part of the second US 17A to connect the US 17A in SC, which are both inland alternates of the mainline coastal US 17.

I like this route, and I think it would definitely serve several areas well--not only eastern NC, but also Hampton Roads. For it to be such a large metro area, it's rather isolated.

And I think there's a strong case for upgrading the existing highways in that corridor, especially whenever I go home and see all the out-of-state traffic traveling those roads (especially US 13).

Hampton Roads is a major metro that doesn't seem to get too much nationwid e pub, despite the fact that it is a major military presence.

My folks live up there, and real estate has skyrocketed. Thre is a lot of new construction up that way, especially in Virginia Beach.

It's funny, it seems like a lot of kids from that area go to ECU. But anyway, a major highway from HR to Greenville would be a good thing. Heck, a major highway from there to anywhere in NC would be a good thing.

Hampton Roads is a major metro that doesn't seem to get too much nationwid e pub, despite the fact that it is a major military presence.

My folks live up there, and real estate has skyrocketed. Thre is a lot of new construction up that way, especially in Virginia Beach.

It's funny, it seems like a lot of kids from that area go to ECU. But anyway, a major highway from HR to Greenville would be a good thing. Heck, a major highway from there to anywhere in NC would be a good thing.

There are a lot of new projects going on in Hampton Roads--even Portsmouth is looking at building some new DT towers. That whole skyline is going to be transformed if/when that happens.

But you're right, there's a lot of traffic between Tidewater and Greenville--not just those two endpoints, but little cities between as well. Yet, the only upgrade in recent years has been 168 between Chesapeake/Va. Beach and the Outer Banks. What about US 17 into Elizabeth City? That road has been in need of upgrading for a while, especially with all the traffic that flows through there. Of course, the impact on the swamp is probably a barrier.

As for Greenville, I think there is enough land around the towns along 13/11 (Ahoskie, Lewiston, Oak City, etc.) that a four-lane highway could be built.

As for Greenville, I think there is enough land around the towns along 13/11 (Ahoskie, Lewiston, Oak City, etc.) that a four-lane highway could be built.

NC 11 between US 64 and US 13 near Ahoskie is already on a four lane ROW. Some towns are bypassed already.

There are a lot of new projects going on in Hampton Roads--even Portsmouth is looking at building some new DT towers. That whole skyline is going to be transformed if/when that happens.

But you're right, there's a lot of traffic between Tidewater and Greenville--not just those two endpoints, but little cities between as well. Yet, the only upgrade in recent years has been 168 between Chesapeake/Va. Beach and the Outer Banks. What about US 17 into Elizabeth City? That road has been in need of upgrading for a while, especially with all the traffic that flows through there. Of course, the impact on the swamp is probably a barrier.

Waverider,

Highway 17 has recently been upgraded around Elizabeth City (new by-pass) and ....hold your breath....into Chesapeake, VA.

Waverider,

Highway 17 has recently been upgraded around Elizabeth City (new by-pass) and ....hold your breath....into Chesapeake, VA.

I knew about the new Elizabeth City by-pass, but I wasn't aware that 17 had been upgraded through the Dismal Swamp...

I was on US 17 during the summer of 2004. Once you enter VA, the new highway [to the right] looked done but i was still driving through Dismal Swamp. I can SEE why its very dangerous during the daytime, it was pretty dark and narrow through there.

Since when did Raleigh-Durham not belong in eastern NC? It seems like North Carolineans tend to view the Triangle as Central NC, yet everyone else in the south views it as eastern NC.

From a Georgian's perspective:

Western NC:

Murphy

Franklin

Asheville

Morganton

Hickory

Boone

Central NC:

Gastonia

Charlotte

Winston-Salem

Greensboro

Burlington

Asheboro

Albemarle

High Point

Statesville

Eastern NC:

Raleigh

Durham

Chapel Hill

Greenville

Outer Banks

Fayetteville

Wilmington

Eastern NC:

Raleigh

Durham

Chapel Hill

Greenville

Outer Banks

Fayetteville

Wilmington

From a Moore County perspective

Geographically speaking, this holds true except Durham, that belongs in central NC hands down. Raleigh & Cary is pushing it.

Culturally speaking,

Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville (to an extent) and Wilmington DO NOT BELONG in eastern Carolina. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill belongs in central NC while Fayetteville and Wilmington is more southeastern NC. East of Fayetteville in eastern Cumberland County, it definatly has that eastern carolina feel but west of I-95 does not. No chance that Fort Bragg and through the Sandhills could you call that eastern Carolina, noooooooo wayyyyyy. Wilmington geographically is eastern carolina but does not share that eastern carolina culture/look until you get at least north of Jacksonville & Kinston (I-40 & US 70 is a rough draft boundary line). Wilmington and south of there has that coastal South Carolina/Georgia feel all the way to Jacksonville with the spanish mosses of which you do not find in eastern Carolina but instead hardwoods and housing that starts to resemble the northeast that you dont find in southeastern NC.

Raleigh back in the 60s and maybe as late as the 70s, i believe was once the western extents of eastern carolina culture but is now far from that. You have to start getting into Nashville, Middlesex, Wilson and Rocky Mt to start getting that eastern Carolina feel. I dont know how Durham made that eastern carolina list because you start getting closer to the Triad and southside Virginia.

North Carolina generally goes by the following regions: mountains, foothills, piedmont, sandhills/fall line, coastal plain and the beach.

From a Moore County perspective

Geographically speaking, this holds true except Durham, that belongs in central NC hands down. Raleigh & Cary is pushing it.

Culturally speaking,

Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville (to an extent) and Wilmington DO NOT BELONG in eastern Carolina. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill belongs in central NC while Fayetteville and Wilmington is more southeastern NC. East of Fayetteville in eastern Cumberland County, it definatly has that eastern carolina feel but west of I-95 does not. No chance that Fort Bragg and through the Sandhills could you call that eastern Carolina, noooooooo wayyyyyy. Wilmington geographically is eastern carolina but does not share that eastern carolina culture/look until you get at least north of Jacksonville & Kinston (I-40 & US 70 is a rough draft boundary line). Wilmington and south of there has that coastal South Carolina/Georgia feel all the way to Jacksonville with the spanish mosses of which you do not find in eastern Carolina but instead hardwoods and housing that starts to resemble the northeast that you dont find in southeastern NC.

Raleigh back in the 60s and maybe as late as the 70s, i believe was once the western extents of eastern carolina culture but is now far from that. You have to start getting into Nashville, Middlesex, Wilson and Rocky Mt to start getting that eastern Carolina feel. I dont know how Durham made that eastern carolina list because you start getting closer to the Triad and southside Virginia.

North Carolina generally goes by the following regions: mountains, foothills, piedmont, sandhills/fall line, coastal plain and the beach.

I'm not speaking from a cultural perspective, but a geographical perspective. Raleigh is eastern North Carolina, as is Durham. Look at the state, anything from Tennessee east to somewhere between Hickory and Statesville is Western North Carolina. East of that point, through Statesville, Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Burlington is Central North Carolina. By the time you get over to Raleigh-Durham, you're in the eastern third of North Carolina. Hence, eastern North Carolina.

In Georgia, we're on a thirds standard. From the Florida line to about Cordle, you're in south Georgia. From around Unadilla up to Butts County/Jackson, you're in middle Georgia. From Henry County/South Atlanta suburbs up to to the North Carolina/Tennessee state line, you're in north Georgia.

Archived