Greenville, NC

Lithuania

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say where Eastern NC vs Central starts. I mean both Chapel Hill and Durham are only 25-30 miles east of Burlington, while those same 2 cities are about the same from Raleigh, if you go by their downtowns. It's one of those shady grey areas that really isn't important.

In Georgia, we're on a thirds standard. From the Florida line to about Cordle, you're in south Georgia. From around Unadilla up to Butts County/Jackson, you're in middle Georgia. From Henry County/South Atlanta suburbs up to to the North Carolina/Tennessee state line, you're in north Georgia.

I live in Athens actually and I tend to think Savannah to Americus is South GA. South of I 20 to that imaginary line is middle Georgia (some might even dispute if there is such a thing) and above I 20 is North Georgia. But you are probably south of here (Athens) so you may feel differently. Its all perspective. When I lived in Charlotte I tended to think that Raleigh was the begining of eastern NC.

LOL! The Triangle area is definately NOT what I would consider eastern NC. This area is dominated by rolling hills and red clay. Not the typical flat sandyish areas you find in the eastern parts of the state. The vegetation is of a mixed variety -- not the vast pine forests you see down east. Even down to architecture.... the Triangle does not have that eastern NC feel to its buildings and houses. Eastern NC also has a very distinctive accent. Have a conversation with any Kinston native and you'll see what I mean. I dare anyone to tell a Triangle resident that they're from "down east" LOL. I don't want to be anywhere around when you do. (Just kidding about the dare) :)

Having grown up 20 minutes from G-ville and having gone to college and then living and working in Wilmington, these 2 cities are completely different. G-ville definitely has an Eastern NC feel where Wilmington almost feels like its in a different state altogether. I wouldnt call Wilmington Eastern NC (though geographically it is duh) its more Deep South/Low Country feeling but a much nicer place than G-ville. That being said, G-ville is the most progressive of the typical Eastern NC cities of Rocky Mt, Goldsboro, Kinston, Fayeteeville etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill sit on the eastern edge of the piedmont area of NC. These cities are not your eastern NC type city.

When you start seeing red clay, you are out of eastern NC.

They are the eastern gateway to the piedmont area of NC.

I find some parts of Raleigh is hiller than some parts of Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived