The state of Raleigh's leadership

RALBOI

Hello folks,I want to first state,i support the mayor 90% on most matters .But sometimes he says things that rubs me the wrong way,i know you can't please everybody, but for example the last news and observer article on the the new downtown hotel he states (I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE TELLING AN ARCHITECT WHETHER OR NOT TO HAVE A CAP ON A BUILDING). I'm like WOW!! but he feels comfortable just giving these OUT OF TOWN DEVELOPERS 20 million dollars to throw up a 2nd rate hotel, it just doesn't sit well with me, but anyway believe or not, I do support the man and give him credit for being the backbone that started the process on downtown Raleigh's renewal. I would like to hear opinions on his leadership on all topics and matters pertaining to Raleigh the Capital city.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello folks,I want to first state,i support the mayor 90% on most matters .But sometimes he says things that rubs me the wrong way,i know you can't please everybody, but for example the last news and observer article on the the new downtown hotel he states (I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE TELLING AN ARCHITECT WHETHER OR NOT TO HAVE A CAP ON A BUILDING). I'm like WOW!! but he feels comfortable just giving these OUT OF TOWN DEVELOPERS 20 million dollars to throw up a 2nd rate hotel, it just doesn't sit well with me, but anyway believe or not, I do support the man and give him credit for being the backbone that started the process on downtown Raleigh's renewal. I would like to hear opinions on his leadership on all topics and matters pertaining to Raleigh the Capital city.

I agree with you. I support him most of the time. I also found it odd that he had no problem telling the developer to what to use on the sides of the building, but didn't want to interfere, or comment on the top. I guess he's picking his battles.

I think he has to show some leadership with Crowder. I mean we are pumping millions and millions into downtown. We are saying we want curb sprawl. But yet we make developing in downtown harder than it is in the suburbs. I have no position on the EFIS issue and the hotel, but I just don't like the message we are sending which is we really don't know what we want.

I want Meeker to stand up and make some things happen. Sometimes you just need a leader to take charge.

Most of you have figured out how I generally vote, but I was NOT a fan of the previous administration in Raleigh, and NOT looking forward to Meeker, either. I don't know if it is luck or skill, however a lot of good things have happened under this mayor, so I should credit him if I'm going to fault the last mayor, Mayor No.

I agree with the original poster, though. I didn't like that he said he didn't feel like he could tell the architect how to top the building. Yes, if it is RBC's building, but NO WAY if it is heavily subsidized. I think we paid $20M to be able to complain!!! If somebody were subsidizing my business, I ought to expect to hear their opinions on things!

....and yet, Progress Energy and RBC want to foot 100% of the bill for the chandeliers ($1.8M) and he stalls this project to see if it is in line with the Jaume Plensa sculpture???? :shok: At least be consistent!

Most of you have figured out how I generally vote, but I was NOT a fan of the previous administration in Raleigh, and NOT looking forward to Meeker, either. I don't know if it is luck or skill, however a lot of good things have happened under this mayor, so I should credit him if I'm going to fault the last mayor, Mayor No.

I agree with the original poster, though. I didn't like that he said he didn't feel like he could tell the architect how to top the building. Yes, if it is RBC's building, but NO WAY if it is heavily subsidized. I think we paid $20M to be able to complain!!! If somebody were subsidizing my business, I ought to expect to hear their opinions on things!

....and yet, Progress Energy and RBC want to foot 100% of the bill for the chandeliers ($1.8M) and he stalls this project to see if it is in line with the Jaume Plensa sculpture???? :shok: At least be consistent!

I absolutely agree. Atleast be consistant.

I slightly disagree. I think the mayor's point in that statement is that he is not an architect, so he doesn't feel comfortable telling an architect how to be an architect. The mayor's role isn't as an architectural advisor, but making sure that the city gets what it wants.

That said, its the architecht's responsiblity to deliver what the city wants. We are investing $20 million dollars, I really don't think that we need to be the ones compromising. If we are going to (and can legally) sever ties, now is the time to do it. Otherwise we are going to start facing the prospect of the hotel not being open when the convention center is done.

The difference in quality of Mayor Meeker's leadership and previous mayors is vast. Whether you agree with him or not, he has worked hard to make Raleigh better- especially downtown.

Our previous two mayors we mostly concerned with cutting spending and taxes and letting developers sprawl. There was NO planning for the future- which is why we have such terrible growth problems.

He could be more vocal on TTA (!), he doesn't always make the right decision on planning issues (Soliel Ctr), but the he's the first Raleigh Mayor in forever to actually focus on DT (cities rise and fall from the inside out), and he has a vision for the city, and I generally agree with it. If you look at what's happened and about to happen under his watch--particularly in DT, he gets a free pass on a lot of his shortcomings in my book.

Meeker loves his downtown, and it shows. I agree with ChiefJoJo in that he is shortsighted on transit. Truly vital downtowns are those where a car is not required. Until Raleigh has higher-order transit, this will not eb the case.

Meeker should be out front leading on this issue, but he's not.

The difference in quality of Mayor Meeker's leadership and previous mayors is vast. Whether you agree with him or not, he has worked hard to make Raleigh better- especially downtown.

Our previous two mayors we mostly concerned with cutting spending and taxes and letting developers sprawl. There was NO planning for the future- which is why we have such terrible growth problems.

Hey man i love this dude that's why i first stated my support for him,but i noticed he's waffle's a little bit on certain matters concerning the city you can't be that way with 20 million dollars of the people's money the John locke Foundation and Wake County taxpayers association are loving this drama man!, you no as well as i know you can't give these guys a inch or they will take a mile ,and yes he has worked very hard to start the process to restore Raleigh's downtown luster,but much needs to be done we can't afford weakness on these things right know this is going to be the framework for Raleigh's future.

The waffling appearance is mostly just is attempt to find a ground or an approach that will keep the Lockes and TPA's off his back. To date his re-elections have been easy because he has simultaneously moved forward several progressive agendas while doing so with a tact that keeps conservatives from inflaming their constituancy enough to pose a serious election threat. I agree the Hotel flap could pose a problem, but he really is being realistic...25% EIFS is not a serious amount, there are in fact TWO hotels going in the area (Lafayette), and, well, the tax payers association would be looking for functionality for its money before an architectural statement. I admire the guy for somehow encapsulating progressive and sensible in the same approach.

The waffling appearance is mostly just is attempt to find a ground or an approach that will keep the Lockes and TPA's off his back. To date his re-elections have been easy because he has simultaneously moved forward several progressive agendas while doing so with a tact that keeps conservatives from inflaming their constituancy enough to pose a serious election threat. I agree the Hotel flap could pose a problem, but he really is being realistic...25% EIFS is not a serious amount, there are in fact TWO hotels going in the area (Lafayette), and, well, the tax payers association would be looking for functionality for its money before an architectural statement. I admire the guy for somehow encapsulating progressive and sensible in the same approach.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. It's important to remember how little excitement there was for downtown just 5 years ago. Meeker has done a great job of pushing the downtown agenda while building support and consensus for the projects that would have been impossible under the previous 2 mayors.

Also, the grand architectural statement is being made by all the projects (Convention Center, Fayetteville Street, Bount Street, RBC, etc.), not just one project (the hotel). In the end, it will be viewed as a whole just as downtown is now. A little bit of EIFS on one project is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Plus, the hotel in my mind will end up feeling like part of the collection of buildings that will eventually occupy the sites between the New Hannover building and the BTI Center. All of those new buildings, including the hotel, will build on the urban fabric in the same way that all the current mid-size downtown buildings help to create a backdrop for New Hannover and Wachovia.

i agree, the hotel is just a small piece of the overall puzzle and Meeker most likely just wants it to go as smoothly as possible. with all the projects coming in, a 15 story hotel is not going to define our skyline. yeah it would be nice if it were a little more interesting, but in the long run, I don't think a cap on the hotel is going to be that important to downtowns revival. it is more important what is going on street level with the hotel, and that is where the mayor and council are focusing their attentions. it is all about picking your battles, imo. compared to past mayors, Meeker is the messiah for downtown, and you are right, he is keeping quiet on certain issues so the Locke's and Tax Payer's can't get all riled up, no matter how badly they want to. I love it!

I agree. He wants compromise. I have said it many times before. If this hotel and CC don't happen both at the same time and with more problems, he is out of offce, DT development from city direction will slow and the naysayers will have a field day and try to turn around it all. Many people like DT, but I bet over 60% could care less and will only read the headlines. This thing is already a goat rodeo and he does not want to strap to the first goat out of the chute......

Good points about Meeker. I see where he's going with this. He's doing the best thing he can do, politically, for someone with his progressive vision for revitalization.

He's going to vote in favor of development (no matter what it is) every time development is going to win a vote. If he doesn't, he's instantly BANANAs. If he does, there's no dirt on him, and nothing was lost anyway. It may not reflect his philosophy, but he's in the most politically important position of anyone in Raleigh, perhaps the Triangle. He has to be the compromiser.

And in the process he's helped work in some great projects for downtown and the areas around it.

I heard him on G105 this morning and they asked about the TTA. He still supports rail and would like to see a shorter line started from North Raleigh to downtown and maybe onto Cary.

If he really said this, he's an idiot and is helping Russell Capps kill transit in the Triangle for 20 years. Please tell me he didn't say this.

The TTA should be the focus on local politicians. I don't understand why no one talks about it except for the TTA people and N&O. There seems to be a huge gap in local politics that seem to avoid the whole issue when it is these people that it directly affects.

Meeker needs to head the path on this. Someone needs to step up and say "lets get this project going someway somehow" Where are these people? Meeker?

If he really said this, he's an idiot and is helping Russell Capps kill transit in the Triangle for 20 years. Please tell me he didn't say this.

I guess he has to say something like that to be raleigh-centric. The JohnLockers and rightwing radio have him scared to go out and fully support. Most of the Triangle has to be included and it needs a backbone.

I think we need Jim Goodman and Jim Goodnight to get on board. The Cisco guy supports it along with IBM giving property but to most Raleighites, they are just people in the park. Plus, these orgs are not that vocal.

He could be more vocal on TTA (!), he doesn't always make the right decision on planning issues (Soliel Ctr), but the he's the first Raleigh Mayor in forever to actually focus on DT (cities rise and fall from the inside out), and he has a vision for the city, and I generally agree with it. If you look at what's happened and about to happen under his watch--particularly in DT, he gets a free pass on a lot of his shortcomings in my book.

I agree...here...here... I think as this 3 year phase comes to a close in 2008 that there will be a better voice spoken towards TTA. There will be more people in the core and a greater need for TTA.

He did say this. Stated that the project is not dead yet, but if it does not get the green light later this year, he said he still would like to see rail implemented in some way. That is when he mentioned a shorter line from North Raleigh to Downtown to Cary.

I don't see why you are all bent out of shape about his comments. atleast it would be a start...

It wouldn't be a start. What Meeker is talking about will not likely get built ever if the TTA Phase I process fails.

Here's why- in order to get the funding grant from the feds, there must be a LPA- Locally Preferred Alternative accepted by the Feds. The current line is the LPA. If the TTA rail in its current incarnation does not receive federal funding, what Meeker is promoting is a Wake-County only line. Durham County is not likely to support this unless there is a promise and commitment from all parties to build it in sections that are less expensive than the full line by itself.

So you won't get a regional LPA with Meeker's idea, which means you won't get Federal funds for that either. Now while Wake County could probably afford to build it on its own, in a post-TTA failure atmosphere, with the school bond issue looming, I don't see the political winds filling the sails of an effort to raise taxes in Wake COunty to fund the Wake Co rail locally.

Ergo, Meeker's statement yesterday on the radio not only undercuts regionalism (by suggesting that going to N Raleigh is more important than RTP or Durham/Duke Medical) and puts a wedge between Wake and Durham County leadership, but also makes the funding of any rail in Wake County less feasible by threatening the ability to get a LPA from the feds, and thus threatens federal funding sources for even a shorter line.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. TTA Phase I can begin construction within 3-6 months of finding a funding solution. Most anything else is a 15-20 year setback, at least.

IF the current rail plan fails, Raleigh and Wake County should go at it alone. Durham, and Durham County should go at it alone. And work on connecting systems in the future. Right now, it seems, there is little support in the region.

Connecting people to DT Raleigh benefits Raleigh, and Wake County. Hopefully, providing easy & fast transport DT would concentrate business there. And reduce the need for cars. Which in turn makes it less expensive to build, as parking decks can be reduced.

I'm so sick of this same old back and forth about this rail project between local politicians. Everyone says they like it, but none of these guys are getting involved.

I just don't understand why Raleigh doesn't start small with a freaking streetcar. This would introduce the success of transportation other than a car. Charlotte is doing this already, so why doesn't Raleigh try it. Raleigh has a lot more cooler corridors for streetcars to serve.

Raleigh is so behind, it really is sad. The fact that they aren't even entertaining this idea just shows how naive they are.

Archived