The state of Raleigh's leadership

RALBOI

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meeker is and everybody else isn't. I think that sums it up. Raleigh's business leaders also need to step it up as well. Hopefully with RBC moving their HQ DT Raleigh their contribution will increase. The Raleigh Chamber is relatively useless but the Raleigh Downtown Alliance seems to do a decent job. Its time for Harvey Schmidt to hit the skids at the Chamber and they need to bring someone in with a larger view for the area rather than someone just content with yucking it up with the boys.

• 2 months later...

I just came back from Charlotte.

I know these posts have been done before. But I have to say their development puts us to shame. 100%. The amount of infill development there is really impressive.

I talked to my developer friends about why the difference. One downtown? congestion? cheaper land? younger demographic?

They said yes to all of them.

BUT they said the biggest difference is leadership. The Triangle does not have enough in the Council seats. And they pointed out how the N&O is the worst newspaper in terms of promoting the Triangle. Every article regarding growth is about how bad it is. The Charlotte Observer talks about how great Charlotte is. The N&O concentrates on how bad the Triangle is.

They said it took awhile for Charlotte to get it right in terms of the Council members being elected. But now they have a Council that makes decisions based on what is good for the City, and not what different neighborhood groups want. They said it is probably somewhat pro-development, in that they do not stand down against neighborhood protests. But they are not silly about it in that they don't approve everything either. They give clear signals early on during development proposals as to whether it has potential.

The developers then contrasted that to the Triangle. Chapel Hill? enough said about leadership wanting to make decisions on what is right for the Town and not for every neighborhood group. Cary? seems to be close to Chapel Hill in being spooked by every development idea. Durham? maybe too much pro development. Finally Raleigh? A truly broken Council. I am sorry but Russ and Thomas are crazy. But Raleigh has the most potential. They just need to get the right group elected.

I really hope one day we can get some strong leaders and a better newspaper. It does take some guts to vote for infill growth. Especially when infill is next to neighbors. But man o man are we a City of NIMBYs. Charlotte may have them too, but they seem to be doing something right.

OK. Enough of my rant. Just frustrated.

N&O is a terrible newspaper, but I'm going to inject a bit of cynical optimism into this. Raleigh's government has been worse. In fact, it has probably always been worse. It used to be completely beholden to the anti-urban crowd, and now it's actually turning around. Once the foundation is in place, from the current wave of developments, Raleigh will undergo the transformation that Charlotte had back in the 80's, when it was about the size Raleigh is now.

The advantage is that Raleigh is incorporating residential into its urban projects at an earlier stage, which will help avoid the 9-to-5 syndrome Charlotte had in the 90's.

I agree with you that leadership is a big problem in Raleigh, but for I think the exact opposite reasons. Listening to neighbors has not been a problem in Raleigh at all (except in a few cases). Raleigh's problem has been caving to developers looking to make a quick buck and not demanding developments that help the entire community.

Crowder may be crazy, but Russ Stephensen has been just fine. He wants developments that is urban, walkable and sustainable. He might be too nitpicky, but is erring on the side of caution.

The problem is the anti-tax crowd and the pro-cul-de-sac-and-strip-mall development crowd in Raleigh and Wake County, like Philip Isley and the Planning Commission, that are keeping the city from truly great investments like regional rail.

I posted this comment in a different thread, but i'll also post it here...

The BIG problem is that all of the decision makers are ancient. They are outdated, plain and simple. It's hard for them to truly visualize the current problems that Raleigh has, let alone have a vision for the future. The second biggest problem is that they continue to see Raleigh as a small southern city. They have no concept of how a modern city of 300,000+ people should operate. I see signs of this everywhere. Until we replace the old timers and infuse the city council and planning depts with new blood, we will continue to discuss these issues.

I agree with most of the comments, Charlotte's Growth in it's urban core is above the rest hands down, I have always said the real problem in the Triangle is leadership, but I also think That Raleigh is starting to see the light, our downtown is really starting to blossom and I'm happy with the pace right now because I know how far the city has come in such a very very short time.

I posted this comment in a different thread, but i'll also post it here...

The BIG problem is that all of the decision makers are ancient. They are outdated, plain and simple. It's hard for them to truly visualize the current problems that Raleigh has, let alone have a vision for the future. The second biggest problem is that they continue to see Raleigh as a small southern city. They have no concept of how a modern city of 300,000+ people should operate. I see signs of this everywhere. Until we replace the old timers and infuse the city council and planning depts with new blood, we will continue to discuss these issues.

I agree with you that leadership is a big problem in Raleigh, but for I think the exact opposite reasons. Listening to neighbors has not been a problem in Raleigh at all (except in a few cases). Raleigh's problem has been caving to developers looking to make a quick buck and not demanding developments that help the entire community.

Crowder may be crazy, but Russ Stephensen has been just fine. He wants developments that is urban, walkable and sustainable. He might be too nitpicky, but is erring on the side of caution.

The problem is the anti-tax crowd and the pro-cul-de-sac-and-strip-mall development crowd in Raleigh and Wake County, like Philip Isley and the Planning Commission, that are keeping the city from truly great investments like regional rail.

Like I have said before Raleigh's/Durham's and Chapel Hill's leadership does not represent the Triangle as a whole. Why is this? Typically people in the tech sector or higher levels in the university leadership do not have time for running for local office. In return, we are left with low tier attorneys trying to goose their business running the show.

Like I have said before Raleigh's/Durham's and Chapel Hill's leadership does not represent the Triangle as a whole. Why is this? Typically people in the tech sector or higher levels in the university leadership do not have time for running for local office. In return, we are left with low tier attorneys trying to goose their business running the show.

We also have Lenovo, which is very eager, from what I've heard from insiders, to build its name and reputation in the US and is actively looking at ways to help the local community that it calls home. Would be nice to get another company that is as invloved as Progress Energy has been in the community. RBC has potential as well. They aren't yet a major heavyweight, but they are growing and certainly have the potential to become one.

• 2 weeks later...

She looks like she would be a good downtown advocate, but I want to hear how she will deal with development in the outskirts of the city. Is she a smart growth person or another pro-development crony? Taxes, impact fees, North Hills subsidy, regional rail, where does she stand?

Well, she certainly sounds like a step in the right direction so far. Perhaps she could replace Kekas, cuz I certainly think Stephenson deserves another term in the at-large section.

What I'd really like to see is someone take on the sprawl-lovin' cabal of Isley/Taliaferro/Craven. Has any good challengers been announced there? Cuz replacing those three would do the most to improve things, IMHO.

She looks like she would be a good downtown advocate, but I want to hear how she will deal with development in the outskirts of the city. Is she a smart growth person or another pro-development crony? Taxes, impact fees, North Hills subsidy, regional rail, where does she stand?

I saw a Mary-Ann Baldwin for City Council bumper sticker on 40 on my way to work this morning. It is good to see a candidate that appears to be taking the campaign seriously this "early", even though the election is just over five months away.

It is also good to see a progressive candidate for the District A seat. I hope she is successful, as I am sure Craven will be backed by Coble and company.

I hope to have a choice in District C this year, but am not holding my breath. I feel my at-large and mayor votes are more important, which is kinda sad.

Archived