The state of Raleigh's leadership

RALBOI

The end of the filing period for Raleigh City Council elections was today. Mayor Charles Meeker was reelected to another term because nobody bothered to run against him. Philip Isley, Thomas Crowder and Jim West were also reelected. There will be races in Districts A and B, and at-large.

At-large candidates:

Councilor Russ Stephenson

Mary Ann Baldwin

Paul Anderson

David Williams

William Best

District A:

Councilor Tommy Craven

Nancy McFarlane

District B:

Councilor Jessie Taliaferro

Roger Koopman

Angel Menendez

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll support Stephenson and Baldwin or Anderson. (FYI, Anderson I believe has served on the planning commission.)

Koopman ran on a pro-impact fees stance on the County race, but lost to ultra-rightwinger Coble. :( Even if all he does is increase impact fees, he'll be a more positive influence than Taliaferro (who blocked a bigger increase) ever was. McFarlane I have no idea about, but has to be better than awful Tommy Craven.

You all do know that the development world is TOTALLY against Russ. Why this forum would support many of the people running on "slow down development" platforms is confusing.

Yes, raise impact fees, make developing that much harder, and then act surprised when growth shifts to Knightdale, etc where it is easier and cheaper.

c_harmons,

Russ Stephenson is hardly "slow down development". Remember he voted in favor of the Soleil Center.

You are totally wrong about impact fees. Raleigh is a hot area for developers. A couple thousand dollars is not going to stop them from building in Raleigh and moving to Knightdale. You can still make a lot more building in Raleigh because of demand. Raleigh has the lowest impact fee among major municipalities in North Carolina. Impact fees haven't stopped builders from building in Charlotte or Cary. Why would they stop in Raleigh?

You all do know that the development world is TOTALLY against Russ. Why this forum would support many of the people running on "slow down development" platforms is confusing.

Yes, raise impact fees, make developing that much harder, and then act surprised when growth shifts to Knightdale, etc where it is easier and cheaper.

From TCC....

"Raleigh to Consider Impact Fees---Again

Earlier this month, the City of Raleigh's revised impact fee schedule went into effect with a 72% increase. Every year fees are schedule to increase based on a construction cost inflation index. However, this is not enough for Raleigh Councilor Russ Stephenson. He believes the fees are not high enough, and wants to debate and discuss the matter further with his fellow city councilors.

During the July 10, 2007 Council meeting, a motion was made by Councilor Stephenson to ask Raleigh staff to investigate what other governments are doing to improve "interlocal funding agreements," especially relating to schools. The motion failed on a 4-3 vote. Mayor Meeker suggested since one Council Member (Jessie Taliaferro) was absent, the motion be placed on the July 24th agenda for another vote. Should the vote change, the Raleigh planning staff will then investigate various ways to fund infrastructure---especially with higher impact fees. Some insiders say that Russ is attempting to get his fellow council members on record opposing higher impact fees. He would then use the vote as a "wedge" issue in the upcoming fall elections."

First, let me quote myself...

You are totally wrong about impact fees. Raleigh is a hot area for developers. A couple thousand dollars is not going to stop them from building in Raleigh and moving to Knightdale. You can still make a lot more building in Raleigh because of demand. Raleigh has the lowest impact fee among major municipalities in North Carolina. Impact fees haven't stopped builders from building in Charlotte or Cary. Why would they stop in Raleigh?

I find it pretty remarkable that many people in the Triangle are saying we need slow things down. That roads are getting too crowded, our schools are filled up, and they can't water their lawns. YET, ask them why they moved here and they say the cost of living and jobs.

harmons,

I appreciate your point, but I don't really think that this council or anything I've heard from the current candidates are anything like the anti-growth, neighborhoods over anything type of people we had around here in the 70's and 80's. I definitely think we as a city are doing a much better job than we did 30 years ago.

Please, that is just silly. Talk to any realtor right now and ask them how strong the market is. They will give you the real story.

Does Money Magazine ranking Apex the best NC town to live in mean that is true? These rankings use odd data points to just sell magazines.

I find it pretty remarkable that many people in the Triangle are saying we need slow things down. That roads are getting too crowded, our schools are filled up, and they can't water their lawns. YET, ask them why they moved here and they say the cost of living and jobs.

I think RDU would shoot themselves in the foot if they try to slow things down. RDU has been attractive because things are still pretty cheap and traffic is nothing compared to other cities like Atlanta, etc.

And I am totally against Russ, yes. He is a puppet of the inside the belt neighborhoods. We need to have more elected officials from North Raleigh, where most of the population actually lives.

Helen Tart has also filed as a candidate for Raleigh City Council at-large. Helen is a progressive Democrat, formerly (I believe) of the staff of the News & Observer. She served as chair of the Raleigh Transit Authority, is on the Livable Streets partnership, and is active in her neighborhood, Capital Heights. While I don't know her well, I believe she is intelligent, honest, open-minded, and motivated by a sincere desire to make Raleigh a better city for all its citizens and for the environment. These qualifications put her ahead of a good many of our local politicians, in my book.

If you're for a progressive, smart growth candidate don't put your hopes on Baldwin. Rumor has it she is the developer candidate, and will be of no help to Stephenson on the council. We certainly don't need pro-developer DINOs like Taliaferro or Kekas. Paul Anderson might be a good choice. He is an African-American minister, and nearly beat Craven in his conservative north Raleigh district. I think Tart is on the transit commission and is Dem, and Williams is the only GOP candidate. Don't know anything about Best.

You're still plainly ignoring that nobody here is saying slow things down. I agree this is not the #1 place to live in the US but within the parameters these rags set, it just keeps coming out that way.....isn't that what you want since you seem to be massive all out growth no matter what the long range consequences? A transfer tax or impact fee is a soft landing compared to Cary's 2% or 4% growth limit it had in place.....if you don't get the cash to head off the filling up schools and roads THAT will be the shot in the foot you are trying to avoid. The cause and effect relationship of this scenario is much more direct and irreversible than any tiny slowdown effect an impact fee could cause.

I laugh at the percentage base cap for growth that Cary has in place because every year you increase the population , it gives Cary a larger number of people to add to their town.

For example in 2007

3% growth of 121,457 is 3,644

in 2010 when you have added 3% each year you are allowed 3,982 for 2010

in 2020 once you have added 3% every year for ten years you are allowed 5,351 for 2020

1369 more than the 2010 number and 1707 more than the 2007.

I think they will need to actually decrease the percentage in the near future or else growth will be larger each year than in the mid 1990s.

I hope Raleigh leadership doesn't enact something like that.

I do not want all out growth. I prefer we keep the downtown momentum going though. And as I have stated before I believe in transfer taxes as that spreads the growing pains to everyone.

But regarding Russ, I have only heard negative things about his dealings with developers. I think we need all the help we can get encourgaing more investment in our growing City and to have someone like Russ - an architect - want to design those projects for the developers is wrong. To hear the comments on this board you all sound like you would prefer someone who is anti-development. If not, then who do you like? I want developers continue to take chances and I am not for Council members that make everything harder (i.e. impact fees). That is just my opinion. And I am against increasing fees BTW. How do you know they won't drive people away? There is a point they would.

I have it on good authority (from someone that knows her fairly well) that Baldwin is definitely the big/pro-real estate candidate (in the Kekas mold) and this person told me frankly to not vote for her. I also looked at her website, and she does a great job at making it look snazy, hitting all the right politico-speak buttons, all while taking zero positions on any number of major issues facing the community. If you want higher impact fees and higher quality development, then do not vote for Baldwin IMO. From the looks of the others, I'd tend to favor the afforementioned Stephenson and Paul Anderson for at-large, JMO. Please feel free to do your own research and form your own opinion... arguably, local races have a higher impact than most, yet turnouts are sparce.

Maybe someone should tell this to the folks at electyou.com. They created Mrs. Baldwin's website, but their front page says they provide "internet campaign strategy and web site design for Democrats."

Most of her fundraising is at $50/person, which means I'm not going and probably won't vote for her. She also has "yard" signs in front of the Coldwell Banker real estate building on Wade Ave near the Oberlin and her condo on Capital, which is more than I've seen for any other candidate.

I planned on voting for Russ and "whoever looked best among the rest" and Mr. Anderson seems to be filling that spot.

With just over two months till election day (October 9th, which should be mentioned more than it has by the media) there should be some pulse for this election, but so far it seems DOA.

• 5 weeks later...

FYI from WakeUP:

Raleigh Candidates' Forum Sept. 19 - Municipal Elections are October 9th, and some exciting races are gearing up for the Raleigh City Council. The newly elected council members will make decisions affecting Raleigh's growth for years to come. Please attend a candidates' forum for the Raleigh City Council on Wed., Sept. 19, 7-9 pm. Come ask the candidates about important growth issues concerning water, transit, parks, impact fees, housing and more. WakeUP is cosponsoring the forum with the Wake League of Women Voters. Sept. 19, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, corner Brooks and Clark Aves.

Hopefully, the candidates will go on record on the NHE TIF issue.

Also, this article from Bob Geary on some of the newcomer candidates in key races in District A and B.

$50/plate fundraisers were out of my price range, but $250 lunches are out of my league. It seems that league is attractive to Mary-Ann Baldwin, Jessie Taliaferro, and Paul Anderson as well.

Despite being two at-large seats up for grabs, I haven't seen a campaign sign in Southeast Raleigh for any candidates yet. With the election less than a month away and the district seat uncontested, it seems most at-large candidates are not concerned with that part of the city. Russ Stephenson was at the August south central CAC meeting, but that was about it.

It is good to see another blog interested in city politics, but it has been really quiet so far. I want to make it to the debate on the 19th, but I am not sure if that is going to happen.

EDIT: two at-large *seats*, not candidates

Kudos to you, ncwebguy for injecting some sanity into the comments section following the Geary piece on the at-large candidates. Some of the stuff there is so off the wall (what's with the guy saying people from the Netherlands are "not the kind of leadership for Raleigh" ?? That kind of crap (and the guy going on and on about impact fees) needs to be immediately refuted.

Archived