Boom Crane

doormanpoet

A boom crane the size of the one at the Suntrust Plaza site has been erected next to the Green Hills Mall for the new Hill Realty project.

I can hear some of the Green Hills snobbery now complaining about a 100 foot crane looming over the pristene Green Hills skies!

It looks pretty cool! Just think how many of these we will have in Midtown, Sobro, and the CBD over the next three years!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was on the project that added 2 floors to the mall parking garage and added the new Hecht's, they wouldn't allow a tower crane on that one. They also restricted what times of the day the crane could even be used.

The first structure to be built on the Hill site is going to be the massize parking garage which should see signs of life in March.

Is it really necessary to accuse folks of being snobs?

Well when talking about that part of town, one has to assume that they are. Not a bad thing at all, just a mindset on their part, and an observation on ours. It is our job to bring that to the surface. That is all that we are doing.

Well, as one who is in Green Hills about three days a week I have found the vast majority of the folks I've encountered there to be good folks. I'm sure there are many people there with snobbish views, as there likely are in every community in Middle Tennessee. It just seems unnecessary to bring it into this discussion. Now, if we see people fighting the crane out of snobbish reasons, that's something we can react to, but I think we should be above name-calling here.

Well, as one who is in Green Hills about three days a week I have found the vast majority of the folks I've encountered there to be good folks. I'm sure there are many people there with snobbish views, as there likely are in every community in Middle Tennessee. It just seems unnecessary to bring it into this discussion. Now, if we see people fighting the crane out of snobbish reasons, that's something we can react to, but I think we should be above name-calling here.

Nobody singeled out anyone on here specifically. While it may seem unnecessary to you, it is a reasonable assumption on many people's parts to assume that the Green Hills residents are, in fact, snobbish to a degree. Shall we bring up the numerous times in the past they have shown us that? Now, it's no slight on the folks who live there. I have friends in Green Hills and think the world of them, but they still have a bit of an elitest mind about them for the most part. I agree that if they start fighting the crane, then they are the snobs we have called them out to be. Otherwise, the Fifth Amendment says we are okay be saying that. LOL!! Regardless, I don't think the poster, Doorman, meant anything by it in the first place. Nit picking on an open, free, and public forum like this will give you a heart attack (or eye strain) one of these days. Ease up a bit. Nobody wants to see this thread turn into a pissin' match about Green Hills snobs and politically correct forumers.

This isn't about political correctness (a term I dislike). I'm just expressing my viewpoint. You may call it nitpicking, but I was merely throwing out the question initially. Don't wory, Lexy, UrbanPlanet.org is in no danger of giving me a heart attack. I just felt the need to defend those aren't here to defend themselves.

Regarding this thread's very minor moral dilemma, my take is that if they (those who would whine about a crane ruining the look of their neighborhood) are snobs, then what is the harm in pointing that out? In my mind, if it's true, it isn't an insult. Calling a snobby person a snob is like telling someone they are messy. It's not like anyone is telling them to go to hell or something. haha in anycase, it's cool. We all have our different ways of dealing with things. That is my two cents.

ANYwho...regarding this whole Hill Realty project, I think it is just awesome. It's about time Green Hills got some urban flavor up in there! It has so much untapped potential, and it is great to see someone finally realize it!

Regarding this thread's very minor moral dilemma, my take is that if they (those who would whine about a crane ruining the look of their neighborhood) are snobs, then what is the harm in pointing that out?

I would agree, but so far, who has complained about the crane?

What is the Hill Realty project? I've been wondering about that big hole in the ground for a while now.

I think this project will go a long way in jump-starting the entire area in areas such as streetscape (it's a mess), perhaps ditching some utilities, and just making the entire main road area more into a Main Street. Belle Meade is doing the same thing. It will take a while, but I think the directions they're going is right.

Ha ha,..this is funny. As a Green Hills resident, i used to take offense to all the snobbery talk. Now I don't care...that's just the way most of Nashville sees the area. No big deal, there *are* worse things...

About the crane though -- I was waiting for the bus this morning at the stop right by Starbucks and it looked really cool. I'll post some pics later. Oh, and people *do* talk about it -- it was a popular topic at the afore-mentioned coffee shop this morning. Half of folks don't know anything about it, and of the half that do -- the majority like seeing it.

As someone who works in green hills (actually at the above mentioned coffee shop) I see a whole lot of people from the area. Yes, there are definitley people who you could call "snobs", but for the most part the people I've met seem like your average nashville citizen (albeit a little better dressed). I really don't think of the customers who come in as snobs at all....and as far as the crane talk goes, most people seem interested by it - I haven't heard any negative reactions. I think alot of people are excited by it because it means more stores and more things to do in the area.

As someone who works in green hills (actually at the above mentioned coffee shop) I see a whole lot of people from the area. Yes, there are definitley people who you could call "snobs", but for the most part the people I've met seem like your average nashville citizen (albeit a little better dressed). I really don't think of the customers who come in as snobs at all....and as far as the crane talk goes, most people seem interested by it - I haven't heard any negative reactions. I think alot of people are excited by it because it means more stores and more things to do in the area.

I, personally, have never met a "snob" (by definition) from Green Hills. But, it is all a tongue and cheek on here I supose.

This is exciting news for that area. I strongly feel like it will densify more in the future. Get rid of that stupid surface lot though!!! Put up, or down in the ground, a parking structure HG HILL!!!!

When I went to Nashville I stayed both in Franklin and in Belle Meade with friends. I also went out to where the airport is. EVERYONE in Franklin and in Belle Meade (and Green Hills by extension, since we walked there alot) was UNBELIEVABLY nice. The only place where we were treated like crap by some guy in traffic (who cut us off, and then proceded to get out of his car and come and try to pull my husband out of the car to get into a fist fight) was, you guessed it, the area by the airport. Which is not a very nice area. Now, I can't affford to live in Green Hills or Belle Meade, but if I could, I'd find it a little snobby if people wanted to force me to want cranes in my neighborhood. Maybe the folks in Green Hills and Belle Meade don't want to be a bustling new urban area. Maybe they like the quieter aspect of the community. Maybe thats exactly why they live there instead of downtown. While I love downtowns and buildings and urban enviornments and such, why should I think someone is a snob if they don't see eye to eye with me? Doesn't that make me a snob instead? If I lived in that part of town I'd want it to stay the way it is, because its pretty near perfect as neighborhoods go. But anyways, the impression I had was that folks out that way are REALLY nice and polite, and super friendly (I think just about everyone in Percy Warner park stopped and talked to us). I think its funny that people who are less affluent (and I am certainly among that group), tend to assume that if someone has money and lives in the nice side of town, that they are snobs. When I have personally found, that the people who have money don't usually care about it, and are just themselves.. while the people who don't have tons of money (and again I am included in that group) are the ones who are usually very self conscious, about it. Anyways, just my 2cents.

Nice post linklinc. I have a story about a very nice lady who helped me when I had a really bad bicycle accident on Jackson Boulevard. She was in her yard as I was run off the road by some jerk. Anyway, she was very gracious and helped me into her beautiful tudor style house to her kitchen where she washed my arms off for me. I know I got it dirty. She offered to take me to St. Thomas, and even (later on) agreed to testify against the guy who ran me off the road (fortunately it wasn't needed). Anyway, this was the kindest, most caring lady I'd ever met. And she was a wealthy resident of Belle Meade. I won't say her name (to keep from embarrassing her), but suffice it to say, her husband sold his business in recent years. That property will soon be developed as a new mixed use in the gulch.

Nice post linklinc. I have a story about a very nice lady who helped me when I had a really bad bicycle accident on Jackson Boulevard. She was in her yard as I was run off the road by some jerk. Anyway, she was very gracious and helped me into her beautiful tudor style house to her kitchen where she washed my arms off for me. I know I got it dirty. She offered to take me to St. Thomas, and even (later on) agreed to testify against the guy who ran me off the road (fortunately it wasn't needed). Anyway, this was the kindest, most caring lady I'd ever met. And she was a wealthy resident of Belle Meade. I won't say her name (to keep from embarrassing her), but suffice it to say, her husband sold his business in recent years. That property will soon be developed as a new mixed use in the gulch.

Wow!!

Thats a GREAT story AtlBrain!!!! :) Thanks for sharing!!!!!

I live in Green Hills, and this area is no more "snobby" here as any other middle or upper middle class neighborhood in town. Actually, there are probably more level-headed and down to earth people here than most neighborhoods in town. High priced real estate or expensive shops does not necessarily make a area snobby or mean the people that live there are egotist.

Archived