Visiting Richmond

urbanvb

Burt gave me a great idea when asking had I visited Richmond lately. Since I have not been there but a few times I thought I would make this thread to list all things that an outsider (such as myself) may enjoying doing or seeing while in the Richmond area. Some non-tourist spots may be great to list too! :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burt gave me a great idea when asking had I visited Richmond lately. Since I have not been there but a few times I thought I would make this thread to list all things that an outsider (such as myself) may enjoying doing or seeing while in the Richmond area. Some non-tourist spots may be great to list too! :)

Well the Richmond guys are always asking if us HR guys have been to Richmond but when is the last time you guys have been to HR? I've been to Richmond about a 1yr ago but have been all around the city and the counties around the metro

But russ...this thread is about visiting Richmond, not HR... I'm trapped in the abyss of Nova most of the year so I'm limited...Burt is in NYC. Eandslee is in Montana. That knocks about half of the richmond forumers out of action.

There's a ton of fun stuff to do in Richmond... I'll post more when I have time. Thanks for making this thread guy! Good idea :thumbsup:

But I'm here all the time!

What is there to do? Of course you can take guided tours of the historic sites. I saw one of the buses at St. John's the other day. Sometimes there are walking tours of some of the historic neighborhoods. When it's warm, take a ride on the restored Kanawha Canal and enjoy the progress people thought wouldn't happen. I wish I could tell you to shop downtown but they decided to kill that in the early 90s. But there are plenty of restaurants and small shops to visit. I'm sure that's covered elsewhere on the forum... I don't dine out often. My aunt told me she and some of her friends ate in Shockoe Slip the other day and was amazed at how much it's changed since she'd last been (and from how she was talking, it had to have been 30 years ago!). I'm not a club person, so I don't know much about that. Then there are the museums and parks. Catch a show or game if there is one.

Me, I'm perfectly happy taking pictures and wasting precious gas.

Ah yes, I too am only so many miles away from the downtown. Not to steal Cadeho's thunder, but I may also be of assistance, although im a Short Pumpian.

Oh Oh, Tommy! I'm afraid you just alienated Cadeho by posting your address. The words Short Pump get his blood boiling. :rofl:

A what whoian Tommy? <_<

Thanks Burt, I'm not as sharp as I used to be, but as long as I have my resources and the memory of the tours my aunt and I used to do, I'd be good. But Burt, you know far more than I do. I'm still amazed by all the stories and memories you have. I always look forward to learn from you too! :)

A what whoian Tommy? <_<

Thanks Burt, I'm not as sharp as I used to be, but as long as I have my resources and the memory of the tours my aunt and I used to do, I'd be good. But Burt, you know far more than I do. I'm still amazed by all the stories and memories you have. I always look forward to learn from you too! :)

Thanks, friend. But remember! I THINK I sometimes make things up in my dotage. :lol:

• 5 months later...

Hi, svs650k3, and welcome to the Richmond pages. Since I post from my home in NYCity I'm not up on all the goings-on down there. I would suggest that next Thursday you access http://www.timesdispatch.com/ and hit Entertainment. That section is full of things to do for the upcoming weekend.

Where are you coming from? I'm sure your hosts will point out city highlights.

Meanwhile, why not visit Richmond in Pictures II on this site? Start on Page 37 of the thread, though the entire thread is full of exciting photos if you have the time.

Hey, Eric. Nice. Where did you find it? Thanks for posting.

Note to svs650k3: As I mentioned above, I live in NYCity and Eandslee (some of us know him as Eric) lives in Montana.

He and I have to keep the locals on their toes. :rofl:

You guys sure do! My head's buried in work work and then play work... so I dunno what's ever going on!

Hey, Eric. Nice. Where did you find it? Thanks for posting.

Note to svs650k3: As I mentioned above, I live in NYCity and Eandslee (some of us know him as Eric) lives in Montana.

He and I have to keep the locals on their toes. :rofl:

Thanks guys! I do what I can, when I can. I've been off work for the past week, so I've had plenty of time to be on this site and others! What a shame that we, who live so far away from "home", have to keep you guys on your toes...pretty funny! :rofl: Thanks for the laugh, Burt.

• 3 months later...

Expect Big Changes at King's Dominion

Richard Zimmerman likes talking about many of the positive changes taking place at Paramount's Kings Dominion since the park was sold this year. But the biggest ones he touts are the $5 drop in admission price for next season -- the first decrease since the park opened in 1975-- and an $11 million addition to its water park. "We are now part of a company that only runs theme parks. This is their core business," said Zimmerman, the park's vice president and general manager.

And he expects more changes for the northern Hanover County theme park, including the possibility of additional roller coasters.

"I think our guests will continue to see a lot of investment in the site with new products that appeal to all ages," Zimmerman said. "There will be a great deal of excitement happening out here. They are bringing a lot of exciting things to the table."....

• 5 months later...

Archived