More clarion calls for additional interstate in Benton/Washington

KJW

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll try to be positive here and say maybe the road situation will at least force NWA into better planning and more mixed-use developments and so on. I think NWA is going to have to because I don't think the road situation is going to get better anytime soon. Either that or NWA is really going to have to go heavy on the tollroads. I've heard them talked about but I wonder in NWA has really looked into them very much yet.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/147123/

My comments?

1. I hate, hate, HATE that this is contingent upon getting that Bella Vista bypass set.

2. This isn't the first time I've heard the "Benton will be bigger than Pulaski in nineteen years" (betcha it's earlier than that) prediction, but this needs to be done YESTERDAY...

Personally I am sick and tired of all the talk and NOTHING being done...they have talked about the bypass around springdale for the past 10-15 years and they have yet to buy the right of way (by the way they could have saved A TON of money if they would have built the damn road 10 years ago, sinc land value has gone through the roof.) I am also tired of hearing about the bella vista bypass, again they have talked, and talked and NOTHING has been done, and now they are talking about expanding I-540 and adding a western bypass, I seriously doubt any of this will be done in the next 10-15 years as well and I bet NWA well have serious traffic problems. The state reps/senators need to quit talking and get something done, oh by the way I'm tired of hearing the "there is no money" excuse, because I promise there is money out there.

Personally I am sick and tired of all the talk and NOTHING being done...they have talked about the bypass around springdale for the past 10-15 years and they have yet to buy the right of way (by the way they could have saved A TON of money if they would have built the damn road 10 years ago, sinc land value has gone through the roof.) I am also tired of hearing about the bella vista bypass, again they have talked, and talked and NOTHING has been done, and now they are talking about expanding I-540 and adding a western bypass, I seriously doubt any of this will be done in the next 10-15 years as well and I bet NWA well have serious traffic problems. The state reps/senators need to quit talking and get something done, oh by the way I'm tired of hearing the "there is no money" excuse, because I promise there is money out there.

First, yes, there is money out there... we all know how much economic wealth there is up here. Heck, the cost for all these projects themselves are really just a drop in the bucket for some of these wealthy private citizens (ahem). But just like anything there is a lag between the booming population and wealthy individuals, and the political clout that follows.

Second, things ARE getting done on the Bella Vista Bypass- there was a media story about it about a month ago or so stating that since MoDOT now has funding and that some federal funding had been secured for Arkansas' portion, that the toll study is being updated. That will be done shortly (I know that for a fact); and when it is I'm sure AHTD will release that info to the public. After the toll study comes design, ROW/utilities, etc., before construction can begin. It's frustrating, I know, believe me. But you can only be so urgent about things and move so quickly about them in a practical manner.

Thirdly, the Springdale bypass ROD has been signed:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/02/...regplanning.txt

ROW acquisition will most likely begin in the next few years, barring any unforeseen circumstances. And believe me, there is quite the fire being lit under people's butts, and things are being moved forward as quickly as possible. Of course, things could move much quicker if there was more funds available.

I guess I'll try to be positive here and say maybe the road situation will at least force NWA into better planning and more mixed-use developments and so on. I think NWA is going to have to because I don't think the road situation is going to get better anytime soon. Either that or NWA is really going to have to go heavy on the tollroads. I've heard them talked about but I wonder in NWA has really looked into them very much yet.

Again, yes. IMO, most likely Bella Vista bypass will be a toll facility, but that's not quite finalized. I think that politically speaking, tolls are a very likely reality in the future for NWA since many people who have moved to NWA from bigger cities are used to them and also people understand that there are just too many needs right now and not enough money, so tolling is an option to get projects moving forward. Especially if the Bella Vista bypass toll road (if it happens) is successful.

Again, yes. IMO, most likely Bella Vista bypass will be a toll facility, but that's not quite finalized. I think that politically speaking, tolls are a very likely reality in the future for NWA since many people who have moved to NWA from bigger cities are used to them and also people understand that there are just too many needs right now and not enough money, so tolling is an option to get projects moving forward. Especially if the Bella Vista bypass toll road (if it happens) is successful.

It would also fit into the western bypass that will also probably be a toll road as well. In a sense it will basically be a southern extension of the Bella Vista bypass.

First, yes, there is money out there... we all know how much economic wealth there is up here. Heck, the cost for all these projects themselves are really just a drop in the bucket for some of these wealthy private citizens (ahem). But just like anything there is a lag between the booming population and wealthy individuals, and the political clout that follows.

Second, things ARE getting done on the Bella Vista Bypass- there was a media story about it about a month ago or so stating that since MoDOT now has funding and that some federal funding had been secured for Arkansas' portion, that the toll study is being updated. That will be done shortly (I know that for a fact); and when it is I'm sure AHTD will release that info to the public. After the toll study comes design, ROW/utilities, etc., before construction can begin. It's frustrating, I know, believe me. But you can only be so urgent about things and move so quickly about them in a practical manner.

Thirdly, the Springdale bypass ROD has been signed:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/02/...regplanning.txt

ROW acquisition will most likely begin in the next few years, barring any unforeseen circumstances. And believe me, there is quite the fire being lit under people's butts, and things are being moved forward as quickly as possible. Of course, things could move much quicker if there was more funds available.

I did see that article in the paper this morning and it is nice to see, however, there is one section from that article I would like you to see.

"A long-range transportation plan being developed by the regional planners calls for $31 million to be spent between now and 2010 to buy right of way. A similar amount is slated for more right of way between 2011 and 2015 under that plan."

So under the current plan for the 412 bypass they MAY acutally have the right aways bought by 2015. That is 6 more years to buy the right aways. That does not include time to build the road after they buy the right aways. If NWA continues to grow at its current pace that means there will be 108,000 more people in NWA. All I am saying is that they need to get soething going and get it done before its too big of a problem.

It would also fit into the western bypass that will also probably be a toll road as well. In a sense it will basically be a southern extension of the Bella Vista bypass.

Yes, I can see that as a possibility. There has as you know been some talk about that (probably some local officials have been quoted on that in the papers.

I did see that article in the paper this morning and it is nice to see, however, there is one section from that article I would like you to see.

"A long-range transportation plan being developed by the regional planners calls for $31 million to be spent between now and 2010 to buy right of way. A similar amount is slated for more right of way between 2011 and 2015 under that plan."

So under the current plan for the 412 bypass they MAY acutally have the right aways bought by 2015. That is 6 more years to buy the right aways. That does not include time to build the road after they buy the right aways. If NWA continues to grow at its current pace that means there will be 108,000 more people in NWA. All I am saying is that they need to get soething going and get it done before its too big of a problem.

Oh yes, I am more than quite familiar with the NWA long-range plan. However, the plan is based on (1) estimated funding amounts for the area in the future based on predicted financial constraints and (2) does not constitute the final transportation improvement program for the area. The long-range plan in this regard is basically only the MPO's recommendation to the State. The Arkansas Highway Commission makes the final decisions. Also, things always change. I would bet everything I own that the bypass will get a lot more earmarked federal funds in the near future (it got a little bit in the last federal transportation bill) since it's one of the top priorities in the area (if not basically no 1) and since now the ROD has been signed. So I share your concern, but in my informed opinion, funds will be found one way or another to get the ROW secured in the near future. But when the bypass actually gets built, I am honestly not as optimistic unfortunately unless it gets a huge federal earmark.

Once again thanks for all the indept info you've provided itk. You've been a big help letting all of us know how this process works and how things are progressing.

That's why I'd like to keep myself anonymous as much as possible and open as possible. Especially as someone who grew up most of his life in NWA, I know how explosive the region has grown in comparison to the transportation infrastructure. Plus, you all have shared so much interesting and valuable info on this site this is the least I can add in-- really, I have found stuff on here about goings-on in NWA that I didn't know beforhand, which helps me out with my job :)

That's why I'd like to keep myself anonymous as much as possible and open as possible. Especially as someone who grew up most of his life in NWA, I know how explosive the region has grown in comparison to the transportation infrastructure. Plus, you all have shared so much interesting and valuable info on this site this is the least I can add in-- really, I have found stuff on here about goings-on in NWA that I didn't know beforhand, which helps me out with my job :)

Great, I'm glad info from this forum has helped you out as well. :D

Yes, we appreciate all the help you have given us.

Congrats on reaching 100 Posts as Well!! :thumbsup:

26 posts per day will get you there.

Actually, to catch up, you'd need quite a few more per day.

So what are you waiting for, get crackin' sunshine.

Matt's been slowing down. I think he was near 30 or maybe even a little above for a while. He's been slowly going down and I've been slowly going up.

Archived