Vandyland to close in June

smeagolsfree

According to the Nashville post website. Venerable West End rest to close in June. Above that was Vandyland RIP. I thought that place would be around forever. Its a Nashville institution along the lines of the Varsity in Atlanta. Maybe someone will buy it and keep it open. I hope I read the headline wrong. Cant read the article because it is a paid site. Does anyone know about this.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2388

I wish I could post the article from the Post, but I can't. The business operated for 78 years. Rumor has it the rent on the building is going up 400%. The hardware store next door is also closing. Pretty sad, two more institutions bite the dust.

Btw, the cook in the picture has worked there since 1963.

Didn't Vandyland use to be downtown, maybe on Church, years and years ago? And wasn't it called Candyland then? I remember my boss, who was raised in Nashville in the 30s and 40s, talking it about how her dad would take her to the movie theatre on Church then to Candyland. Very nostalgic!

I hate to see it go -- they do have great burgers! Haven't been in a while - better get while the getting's good..

David

Didn't Vandyland use to be downtown, maybe on Church, years and years ago? And wasn't it called Candyland then? I remember my boss, who was raised in Nashville in the 30s and 40s, talking it about how her dad would take her to the movie theatre on Church then to Candyland. Very nostalgic!

I hate to see it go -- they do have great burgers! Haven't been in a while - better get while the getting's good..

David

I do believe you are right on that one. Can anyone out there confirm this?

I do believe you are right on that one. Can anyone out there confirm this?

I was living in Nashville when this transition occurred. The establishment used to be Candyland. It had a location on Church (I think it was on the south side somewhere around 6th or 7th). Maybe it was where the Courthouse will be. They also had the location by the same name (Candyland) on West End. Anyway, they lost their lease DT and the family sold out the WE location.

The new owners of the West End (I think they were a group of the employees who worked there) changed the name to Vandyland (probably to deemphasize the candy offerings that the former operation was known for). So they operated the single unit restaurant under the new name for the last 15-20 years.

I'm sure Dave has more on this.

I got to thinking about this block. If it is true that the owners are going up on the rent at Vandyland and the Hardware store, then this could be the signs of another development in the area. Does anyone know if the owners own the buildings in that strip where Compton's Food mart is and the other retail along there? If they do then there could be a major development on this stretch seeing that it is right in the middle of all the development going on on West End. Those are all older buildings and the land they are sitting on is worth mega bucks.

• 2 months later...

horrible excuse for it "living on". I absolutely hate that this has happened, it was my favorite lunch spot. While talking to Mack (the cook at Vandyland) yesterday, he said the Chinese restaraunt right there still has some time on their lease even though the rest of that landlord's property is now empty. I just don't see that property being put to great use with the Foodland right next to it.

On a side note for that area and businesses closing, West End Nails, which is across the street and right next to Cumberland Transit and Scarlett Begonia, is closing after being there for a year. The owner said they just didn't do the business and they have NO parking because Cumberland Transit's owners are parking nazis...my personal opinion. Anyways, I'll be interested to see what goes in there...used to be Wild Animals, a store that was competing somewhat with Scarlett Begonia

I have to disagree with the comparison of Vandyland to the Varsity. I probably would have never heard of Vandyland if they weren't closing, they were only open for lunch, and they've only been around for 20 years??? The Varsity serves more than one meal, is known by any Atlantan who owns a TV, and it has been around for 78 years!

and I hate vandy...

no no no...they have been around for a lot longer than 20 years. the cook who had been there for over 40 years himself, mack, is going to be working at bricktops...the replacement for Houstons. He plans on preparing instead of cooking...meaning going in earlier and cutting everything up and getting it all ready, a little less stress but it will keep him busy. He lives in the area.

I don't care if it's an accurate comparison to the Varsity, I actually agree that it's not. If you were not a part of the group, the family feeling that the place had, then you won't fully appreciate it. I appologize for being defensive, but I've been going there since before I was born (in my mom's stomach of course) and then multiple times a week for the rest of my life.

Jcoop, no need to think you're being defensive; I agree your point is valid. People who know Vandyland love it, and those who don't know anything about it don't really care. I hate it that you're losing a place you love; I just can't understand why they are only open for lunch?

And I got the 20 year number from an earlier post; All my info on this topic has come from local news and this site. I guess it changed from candyland to vandyland 20 years ago?

Archived