City/County Consolidation

thetoolman

jpl02, I'm w/you on your crazy thought! I like your idea for Proctor and how bout the following:

Ratcliff as a Mr. Garrison type character...pre-op of course

Depuy as Uncle Jimbo type. He actually resembles the character

County Administrator Parwez Alam as the trustworthy side-kick Ned complete w/the South Asian accent via the voice box thingy

Sauls as Ms. Cartman although I doubt she's capable of reproducing children solo like Cartman's mom can

who else?

PA's assistant administrator, Vince Long, as Priest Maxi. They both have that machismo attitude, and skeletons in the closet.

Get a Grippa.......as Butter's dad. I just hope Grippa doesn't frequent gay bath houses on the side! :lol:

Winchester, as a Mr. Mackey type of guy, mmmkay. :D

Thaell, as a Big Gay Al kind of guy, minus the gayness. He looks like the kind of guy to say "I'm super, thanks for asking!"

:lol:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and Cityboy have wondered about stjoe for some time also. He's a mystery man! :D

TJ,I thought you had met St. Joe while at your nightime gig at Huston's...guess I was wrong. Didn't you tell me you had met some of the other U.P.-Tallahassee folks in there? I haven't seen you the past few times I've been in there....did you cut back on your hours?

I really like the cartoon idea as well...Ha!

Instead of the County trying to take over all the law enforcement I feel that it should be the other way around. Totally abolish the County Commission & let the City of Tallahassee run the whole County with our present City Commission which is much more professional than the County Commissioners have ever thought about being. The City already provides Fire protection to the whole County anyway & already serves certain portions of the unincorporated area outside their city limits with Utilities (Electric, Gas, Water, Garbage). I also think the EMS should be brought under the umbrella of the City Fire Department & then housed at all the fire stations around the city/county rather than just riding around or sitting in store parking lots, etc. waiting for a call. It's totally crazy that if you call 911 the EMS calls are dispatched by the Sheriff's Office but then the City dispatches a fire truck to the same call or vice-versa. it just depends on who the call is routed to first. At least dispatch them both from the same place! Overall, in my opinion, the City in general is run so much more professionally than the County. Maybe the City should be pushing to annex all of Leon County into the City limits instead of letting the County always telling the City what they want done or how they want it to be. Then fold the LCSO personnel into TPD, fold County Public works & other County employees into the City system & then abolish the County Commissioners. Having lived quite a few other places where the City or County Governments were a joke, Tallahassee is a very professionally run City because they run it like a business, they treat one another with respect & they provide great services to the public.

TJ,I thought you had met St. Joe while at your nightime gig at Huston's...guess I was wrong. Didn't you tell me you had met some of the other U.P.-Tallahassee folks in there? I haven't seen you the past few times I've been in there....did you cut back on your hours?

I don't remember telling you this! :lol: never met the guy. To date, Glenn, you're the only person from here that I've met at Huston's.

I did the drawing in Adobe Illustrator. Actually only part of it. The lady was generated from this little online game where you can create your own "South Park" character, and I just copied and pasted her into the drawing. As for Bill Proctor, I drew him quite easily, since the "Canadians" are just simple geometric figures. An oval head, some rectangles for arms and legs, and you've got a Bill Proctor! :D

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread up b/c this has been the place we've been chatting about local government and their policies and leaders. You know how TJ can get testy if we don't chat about stuff in the correct threads. :P

T-man I take it that Desloge is running against Thaell? From an U.P. standpoint, what in your opinion does he have to offer us that Thaell does not? I have no allegiance to either one, but I do know more about Thaell, so I'd appreciate some education on Desloge if you'd be so kind as to indulge us.

I'm definitely w/Glenn on his wish for a consolidated government!

I'd love to see consolidated government. And thank you very much Poonther for respecting one of my pet peeves. :D While I'm not against Thaell, I would like to know what else is out there. I think the next best thing to City County consolidation, is getting people elected to the county commission who think and conduct themselves more like the city commission.

T-man I take it that Desloge is running against Thaell? From an U.P. standpoint, what in your opinion does he have to offer us that Thaell does not? I have no allegiance to either one, but I do know more about Thaell, so I'd appreciate some education on Desloge if you'd be so kind as to indulge us.

I have not had any interaction with him directly. My only opinion is that he would be more professional than the current Commission, and has been involved in many business organizations such as the Chamber and in economic development. He owns an apparently successful small business. I don't know much about Thaell either, other than the fact that he is part of the current commission.

Thanks for your opinions on Desloge toolman. If you find anything else about him, let us know. I've gotten fairly good vibes about him, but that's about all.

seminole: Why keep Depuy?

TJ: Ratcliff voted against Tuborcor also. That was "the straw" for me w/him.

Poother/TJ until there is consolidation, I just don't think we will see much of a difference interms of economic diversity with the current staff on the County Commission board. IMO, Depuy just seems a lot more progressive. After all, he was chosen initially by Governor Bush and even though I'm not a Bush fan, I do share his viewpoint that Tallahassee should not be depending on just State government for its economy.

Poother/TJ until there is consolidation, I just don't think we will see much of a difference interms of economic diversity with the current staff on the County Commission board. IMO, Depuy just seems a lot more progressive. After all, he was chosen initially by Governor Bush and even though I'm not a Bush fan, I do share his viewpoint that Tallahassee should not be depending on just State government for its economy.

seminole thanks for your thoughts. I too am a big proponent for consolidation. For me, Bush appointing Depuy was the kiss of death. That said, most of the times he's voted, I've approved of his stance on things. I very much admire the man because his wife died recently and we all know that was a horrible experience. However, there he was after like a week or two break, back up at the meeting and around town doing his commission job. That to me is a fine example of a guy dedicated to his job and his county, so for that I greatly admire him.

The only negative thing I can really say about Depuy is that about a year ago he publicly called all the folks out that Miccosukee Land Co-op "dope smoking hippies." He didn't say it exactly like that but that was what was implied. Now I'm not disagreeing w/him on that fact, but he said it like a "dope smoking hippie" was a BAD thing!? :huh:

I found some resources for the county commission races - please add more as you get them.

Official List of Candidates for Nov Ballot - Leon County Elections (some people have since dropped out)

Grippa's replacement list grows - Tallahassee Democrat May 2, 2006

Winchester ends re-election bid

Meet the County Commission - Leon County Website

For the truly bored...

Meeting minutes of county commission meetings

Bryan Desloge Campaign Website

Frank Mayernick Campaign Website

I did separate searches for websites for each of the named candidates, and could only find these 2 in google's top 20 results.

Tidbit from a Democrat political roundup a few months ago:

"Commissioners Bob Rackleff and Cliff Thaell face serious challenges this year. Frank Mayernick, a Tallahassee lobbyist, has raised more money than Rackleff in his bid for the District 5 seat. And Bryan Desloge, a businessman and chairman of the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce, is gunning for Thaell's at-large seat. Proctor himself is facing local builder Weser Khufu in the District 1 race. And Dan Winchester also has opposition, from builder Chip Sellers. Proctor and Rackleff, in particular, have clashed over numerous issues recently."

Archived