City/County Consolidation

thetoolman

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who John Griffin, the candidate who quallified for the At Large seat against Cliff Thaell, is?

I heard today on NPR that John Griffin is the son of Carol Griffin. If you are from here, you will know that name; if you are not, she is a ....... fervent right-to-lifer that has run for various offices through the years.

Here's a list of the local candidates running in the Sept. 5 election. This list is supplied by the Leon County Supervisor of Elections. A few things I noticed:

No one is opposing the school board folks at all. The big race is for superintendent, but the others get to keep their seat by default.

We've not talked about County Commission Race district 3 at all. Who are these candidates and who would be the best one from a UP type of standpoint? Anyone on here live in District 3?

Do you see the City Commission races as overturning an incumbent at all? Or do you think the same people will return?

Same question for County Commission race? I see district 5 as the closest race and the best chance of a turn-over in seat. That my district too.

What and where is the Capital Regional Community Development? Who gets to vote on that?

The same question for Piney-Z..but I do know where that one is.

Here's a list of the local candidates running in the Sept. 5 election. This list is supplied by the Leon County Supervisor of Elections. A few things I noticed:

No one is opposing the school board folks at all. The big race is for superintendent, but the others get to keep their seat by default.

We've not talked about County Commission Race district 3 at all. Who are these candidates and who would be the best one from a UP type of standpoint? Anyone on here live in District 3?

Do you see the City Commission races as overturning an incumbent at all? Or do you think the same people will return?

Same question for County Commission race? I see district 5 as the closest race and the best chance of a turn-over in seat. Thats my district too.

What and where is the Capital Regional Community Development? Who gets to vote on that?

The same question for Piney-Z..but I do know where that one is.

I can't seem to find any information on who's running for County Seat 3. I don't think Winchester is running again, so surely his seat is up for grabs. This year I'm voting Pro-Growth, even if it means I have to cross party lines. Surely I'll be voting for John Paul Bailey because I know where he stands on growth. The others, I'm not sure yet.

I believe Capital Regional Community Development is the area around Southwood and along Capital Circle in that area. I remember reading something about it before they broke ground on Southwood, it being a special taxing district and all.

On the city's side, I'd watch the Debbie Lightsey race closely. It should be the most interesting.

County Commission District 3 race includes:

John Paul Bailey

Chip Sellers

John Dailey

Is that your district TJ?

Funny you should say that, I'm voting pro-growth too, no matter the party. I'm not a fan of JP Bailey at all, if I were in that district I might vote for Chip Sellers b/c he's a developer. Is John Dailey the son of the late Scott Dailey former School Board member I believe?

Are thinking Dr. V. may give Debbie a run for her money? Didn't he run against her last time? Wasn't the race pretty close?

Last time Dr. V did give her a run for the money. He actually got a greater percentage of the vote than her during the primaries, but that was when 4 or so people were in the race. She pulled it off head to head, but it was still close. I was working in the City Manager's Office at the time and I knew of a few people who wanted to see ol' girl go.

Aren't we electing a new mayor this year?

I didn't know about Chip Sellers. Never heard of him. But surely a developer is pro growth, I might go with that. I need to see what district I'm in. I've forgotten the County seats aren't at large like the city.

Aren't we electing a new mayor this year?

Yes, but I sorta expect that one to be a lock? Don't you? I'm just saying that b/c I've really heard nothing about this race. Those challenging Mayor Marks are: Larry Hendricks and Kim O'Connor (which I'm not sure of the gender and I always assume the wrong one.)

Anybody know anything about the challengers?

He's honestly done a fair job during his first 4 years. While I'd like for us to have a full-time Mayor (One who isn't an attorney on the side, or holds another job) Marks has been fairly affective.

I just want more economic development, downtown development, and creativity for the next 4 years. Downtown and streets should be #1 priority for both city and county commissions.

Slightly off topic..........whilst walking through Frenchtown yesterday I saw TONS of lawn signs for Bill Proctor, ad nauseam. I felt like stealing them and putting them to better use, like mulch for my yard or something for the dog to poop on in the house :P

Is John Dailey the son of the late Scott Dailey former School Board member I believe?

John Dailey is in fact the son of the late Scott Dailey. Prior to reading his website, my experience with him was on the basketball court in high school. He wasn't much of a player, but I was much worse. Don't let this influence your vote.

On the upside, he has a master's degree in unrban and regional planning.

Go here to see Leon County district maps for county commission, school board, etc.

I can see there's strong distaste for this fella...

ProctorforWeb.jpg

Well... looks like we're going to have to deal with him for another 4 yrs. :lol:

You're ruling out Ramon? Don't. He's a smart guy, from a very well known family, and has a lot of support from well connected people. A lot of folks liked Bill better when he was an angry young man and really standing up for District 1. Now that he's bought into the Grippa/DePU alliance, people are shaking their heads and muttering all sorts of things. He's gotten a few bones tossed his way for his caving on the Fallschase deal, but in general, his populist star is fading. District 1 needs a candidate who cares more about his/her district than the fat cats who are serving him cream.

Ramon's going to be a political rock star. Even if he doesn't pull it off in this election (and I think he just might), watch out because he's on his way and those who know are sending money and putting up signs. I'm thinking future US Senator is not out of the question.

RamonC.gif

I guess I live in little ol school board district 5.

Has anyone seen Mayricks latest ad against Ratcliff. That's a good ad!

As I stated earlier, school board district races have NO challengers so the incumbents stay.

No I've not seen a Mayrick ad (you know...my beloved DVR...) do tell the plot please or why you like them.

If I lived in District 3 I'd definitely vote for an Urban Planner (yeah I know built in bias.) And I'd vote for you JB, no matter how horrible you were at shootin' hoops.

I didn't know District 1 had an arm that stretched up to F'town. I always thought it was just the Southside area of the county. After looking at the maps, isn't that sorta of gerrymandering in District 1?

I guess I live in little ol school board district 5.

Has anyone seen Mayricks latest ad against Ratcliff. That's a good ad!

I disagree. It's an attack ad. It makes Mayricks look lame by focusing on his opponent instead of his own accomplishments or lack thereof. I don't mind that Ratcliff is an independent voter. I'm glad that he thinks for himself instead and stands up for his district. I don't always agree with him, but note that in his ads, he's discussing his own accomplishments and not trash talking the opposition.

I disagree. It's an attack ad. It makes Mayricks look lame by focusing on his opponent instead of his own accomplishments or lack thereof. I don't mind that Ratcliff is an independent voter. I'm glad that he thinks for himself instead and stands up for his district. I don't always agree with him, but note that in his ads, he's discussing his own accomplishments and not trash talking the opposition.

On what channel and what times or programs do you guys see these political ads the most? I may have to stop "the beloved DVR" for a short time so I can see these things.

On what channel and what times or programs do you guys see these political ads the most? I may have to stop "the beloved DVR" for a short time so I can see these things.

Poonther, Turn off your DVR during the newscasts on channels 6 & 27...that's when I mainly see the local political ads air.

Archived