City/County Consolidation

thetoolman

Last night on TV I watched the ending of the County Commission meeting. I was shocked, disappointed and upset at how unprofessional and petty the Commissioners are to one another. Having worked in City government for several years and w/all sorts of boards, I must say I've never seen anything like our County Commission. Now I know why they never get anything done. It's very embarassing to me how they act like little children. Proctor, Radcliff and Grippa are the worst of the bunch but all are bad expect maybe J. Sauls. Proctor is an ineffective leader to let such silly bickering go on like that. We did not elect them to act like middle school children fighting over marbles on the playground. Based on watching last night's meeting, I would like to vote them all out of office.

If any County Commissioner or aides are reading this, look this word up, memorize the meaning and then put it into practice:

DECORUM

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night on TV I watched the ending of the County Commission meeting. I was shocked, disappointed and upset at how unprofessional and petty the Commissioners are to one another. Having worked in City government for several years and w/all sorts of boards, I must say I've never seen anything like our County Commission. Now I know why they never get anything done. It's very embarassing to me how they act like little children. Proctor, Radcliff and Grippa are the worst of the bunch but all are bad expect maybe J. Sauls. Proctor is an ineffective leader to let such silly bickering go on like that. We did not elect them to act like middle school children fighting over marbles on the playground. Based on watching last night's meeting, I would like to vote them all out of office.

If any County Commissioner or aides are reading this, look this word up, memorize the meaning and then put it into practice:

DECORUM

Amen to that! I especially HATE Proctor, he's lower than common pond scum, personally and professionally. Grippa's a common smart ass, I'm certainly sure he was a frat boy in his college days, because he so has the personality.

With every self-boasting comment, Proctors head (and his afro) grow bigger and bigger. I'd like to get a pin and pop it! :angry:

^Well this is election season!

I'd like to see some solid competition come out and challenge these people and not SGA presidents from local colleges, no offense, but we need people who want to be commissioners because of their long lasting passion to see effective change in Tallahassee and Leon County and not simply to use this elected office as a stepping stone.

Having said that, I agree with the statements on Grippa. I've felt he is a jerk, especially during the days when he was chair of the commission and didn't allow the comments of any other commissioner who would disagree with him. Ratcliff's opinions don't seem to mesh well with the NEW-age priorities of this community, I think Thaell has a similar issue.

I'm not a republican but I like DePuy because he's real about what's going on in this community as far as our growth and environmental issues are concerned. I think Sauls brings alot of class and integreity to the board, but she can't do it alone. I think we'd be better served if we had more female commissioners in the County. Proctor is going to be Proctor, I'm not saying I agree with him, but I don't see him going any where any time soon.

Proctor is going to be Proctor, I'm not saying I agree with him, but I don't see him going any where any time soon.

I agree b/c Leon County is full of ignorant voters! The man's a liar (b/c of where he lives) it's that simple why NOT to vote for him. Again here's another example of why he should not be chairman of the commission and why this board must show more decorum. From the Democrat:

Leon County Commission Chairman Bill Proctor wasn't subtle during a commission meeting last week about his desire that one or two of his colleagues be defeated in the fall election. During discussion on funding for road projects, he said commissioners should make a decision soon - before voters go to the polls.

"Some of us may not be back" after the election, he said. "In fact, I hope some of us won't be back, frankly."

His comment prompted Commissioner Ed DePuy to chime in: "Preach it, brother, preach it."

"Let's spend this money," Proctor continued. "It's going to be the last money some of you all are going to spend."

Shame on Proctor and Depuy! I don't care if they were talking this way about the Smoking Cocky Frat Boy Grippa, you just don't act this way at the commission desk. I say abolish the entire County Commission and just let the City Commission run the whole thing.

I definitely agree w/you TJ about more females! Be nice in the future to see a representive come from either the hispanic, asian or south asian (Indian) communities.

And speaking of elections coming up. As you know I've not been pleased at all w/Rackleff and his voting against Tuborcor and Fallschase and would like to send someone new to the commission in his place. However if this Frank Mayernick is my only choice, I think I may have to pass. His reads to me as a super conservative. Just check out this photo from his website:

Uptight

Have you ever seen a group of more uptight white people in your life? I bet they squeek as they walk.

Devil or the witch....which shall it be?

Shame on Proctor and Depuy! I don't care if they were talking this way about the Smoking Cocky Frat Boy Grippa, you just don't act this way at the commission desk. I say abolish the entire County Commission and just let the City Commission run the whole thing.

AMEN AMEN!!!

Have you ever seen a group of more uptight white people in your life? I bet they squeek as they walk.

Now THATS Funny!! :rofl:

What makes them look uptight to you? Every one of them has a smile on their face.

Hey even the devil can put a smile on his face every once in a while! :)

Plus I was raised around and related to a lot of uptight white people, some even w/smiles on their faces, so that kinda makes me a professional on the situation.....just call it UWP* Radar.

* Uptight White People

Well, he is cuter than Rackleff.... :P

But yes, Mayernick's UWP status has been confirmed from those photos...but I do think there should be a change of guard soon...I have been disappointed with Rackleff's attitude lately. Also, how Proctor has maintained a voting base is beyond me...

UWPs are responsible for some of our more heinous cultural idiosyncrasies...the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, the Olive Garden, SUVs in Killearn, the concept of a "nice" Walmart, tucked in shirts no matter what, Keith Urban, the music at Masa :)

Just heard on the local news this evening that Smokey Grippa is resigning from the County Commission to move to Orlando. Seems his company has given him a promotion and now must work in O-town. I didn't see the whole story so I'm not sure how and when they plan to fill his seat. I believe he has two years left.

I glad to see him go. He was my least favorite on the Commission. I understand about taking a promotion and moving up in his career, but still I feel it shows us a little more about his character that he'd just up and leave his Commission obligation. The man always did seem to be "pimpin' it."

Oh well I'm sure he'll settle into Seminole County where X-Frat boy type Republicans reign supreme.

Hopefully this will bring a little better harmony to this dysfunctional Commission!!!!!

The suspicious side of me thinks there could be more to this story than we know now or ever will? :unsure:

Just watched the video from WCTV's website and they report he's moving to Daytona. WTXL said at 11pm tonight he was moving to Orlando. Not sure what city he'll reside, besides WTXL always says things like: "In South Florida today the following happened...." and then they show the location of the story and it's Brevard or Orange or Lake County. Duh! Know your state people, those areas are 2 to 4 hours north of South FL.

Today I intercepted a letter from Commissioner DePuy to the City Commission and City Manager's office on the topic of Consolidating our World Reknown Tallahassee Police Department with the Leon County Sheriff's Department.

According to the memo, this is the County's #1 Priority for 2006. Since when has law enforcement in this community been such a key issue that we must make it #1 priority? What ever happened to Economic Development, and creating jobs. Or coordinating efforts to get this community through an energy crisis? Or better yet full consolidation that would allow for more streamlined Planning for growth, less duplication of services on a bureaucratic level, getting the county's finances in order, building a stronger airport and mass transit system, and better infrastructure for this community?

Just trying to point out my dislike for the County's #1 priority.

Having said that, the memo I intercepted had some sample language on it for a referendum the county would like to have us the citizens of Tallahassee and Leon County, vote on in the upcoming election cycle.

Not having the paper right in front of me, it went something along the lines of:

"Should the City of Tallahassee have the authority to employ its own Police Services, or should one Law Enforcement body be established under an elected County Sheriff?"

Those weren't the exact words, but very close. I do and don't want this measure moving forward for two reasons.

I DO because it will show just how much clout the City of Tallahassee has in Leon County when citizens defeat any attempts to merge just the law enforcement agencies for no good reason.

I DON'T because this will be seen as a signal that Consolidation of the Governments is an impossible achievement. However, less and less is the total consolidation around here starting to matter where I'm concerned.

Just thought you all should know.

"Have you ever seen a group of more uptight white people in your life? I bet they squeek as they walk."

"Hey even the devil can put a smile on his face every once in a while!"

"Oh well I'm sure he'll settle into Seminole County where X-Frat boy type Republicans reign supreme."

I feel dumber for reading this kind of BS rhetoric. Amazing how some folks talk about getting along and turn around and spew this kind of language. Ironic.

^ Glad I could help lower your IQ a little today SJ! :D

On a serious note:

TJ that really is a weak first priority for the County IMO. As you know I'm for consolidation, but of course not w/the current sheriff as head. Do they give any details on how this merge would happen? I can't vote for something if I don't know the details. Meaning, would we then vote for either the current Sheriff or Police Chief for head or would the police dept just fold into the sheriff's dept? Do you think they'll explain the details before a vote or do they just want us to vote blindly?

Honestly, Poonther... I need no details. I know I don't want the county mooching off of what TPD has established, and I don't want the County Guys turning into uptight, incompassionate jerks like the TPD. As it is now, there is a balance that I feel is healthy for this community.

In other news, I'm saddened that Eugene Danaher had to die. I actually thought Poonther was Eugene Danaher for a while in the beginning. He was a wonderful watchful eye in this community for us and he will be missed.

I actually thought Poonther was Eugene Danaher for a while in the beginning.

Dude you slay me when you say that. It was good to read that even Gary Yordon had somewhat nice things to say about the man. He will be remembered in Tally for a long-time.

I understand your feelings on the consolidation TJ, but I'm truly curious if they'll just put the question out on the ballot w/out explaining the details. Surely they can't think we are that dumb???

I'm surprised to hear you call TPD uptight and incompassionate. I'm not disagreeing, I actually have no reference to really judge them by. Just curious as to why you'd say this. Do you feel that way about the whole dept. or just a few members you've actually encountered?

Surely I can only share my opinion on those I've encountered. There are always exceptions. But based on my experiences, they are too serious about their job, they didn't offer me a warning the first time they pulled me over. They just citated me for a 8 MPH over the limit infraction. Leon County pulled me for going nearly 100 MPH on capital circle one night when I was responding to an emergency and they not only understood, they helped! Each side has its strengths, but the TPD is far too good of a Law Enforcement Agency, with excellent resources and reputation, and staff to be folded up under the Sheriffs Department.

My opinion.

100 MPH on Capital Circle. Damn, I'm commuting w/TJ. I love speed!

Hey personal opinions are what this place is partly about. No need to be shy about them IMO. I love reading folk's gut reactions to things whether I think they are BS rhetoric or not. jpl's quip about Proctor's afro growing still cracks me up! :)

100 MPH on Capital Circle. Damn, I'm commuting w/TJ. I love speed!

Hey personal opinions are what this place is partly about. No need to be shy about them IMO. I love reading folk's gut reactions to things whether I think they are BS rhetoric or not. jpl's quip about Proctor's afro growing still cracks me up! :)

I'm glad someone found it funny! :lol: Here's a crazy thought..........we could make an animated series about the county comission! It could be something alone the lines of South Park. The only thing I require is Proctor to be drawn geometrically with beady eyes and a flapping head, just like the Canadians :P

Something I've always wondered, though, is who stjoe really is. I wonder if he's one of the DURPies over at FSU. I know a few people over there I could imagine him as....

jpl02, I'm w/you on your crazy thought! I like your idea for Proctor and how bout the following:

Ratcliff as a Mr. Garrison type character...pre-op of course

Depuy as Uncle Jimbo type. He actually resembles the character

County Administrator Parwez Alam as the trustworthy side-kick Ned complete w/the South Asian accent via the voice box thingy

Sauls as Ms. Cartman although I doubt she's capable of reproducing children solo like Cartman's mom can

who else?

Archived