Courthouse Public Square to open in October

smeagolsfree

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The return of Nashville's Public Square will, in my opinion, go down in history as one of the landmark events in the city's rebirth. Unless, of course, it utterly sucks--but I doubt it will...especially once some life returns to the plaza's edges in the Stahlman, and eventually in a new building erected on the site of the "elevated parking lot/musical theater stage" east of the Stahlman.

My only regret is that not a single edge of the square directly fronts actual buildings (with the exception of Metro's seat, but that is not exactly bustling with sidewalk cafes and coffee houses--nor should it be). I hope it doesn't become a green, but deserted, island. Luckily, hundreds of people are pouring into the periphery residences at 2nd Avenue and on Church...so this could end up being a kick-ass kind of place, inhabited by people who are living and enjoying fruitful lives. This would be especially likely if the Powers Which Be (Word!) actually allow hanging out, and drinking beer (plastic cups, as degrading as they are, would be an understandable demand), past (say) 5:00pm. We'll see!

I'm excited for this damn square. It is exactly this kind of thing which will add momentum to our downtown Renaissance, and shows both developers and potential buyers that the center of Nashville is Open for Business.

I've been watching this one closely. With each piece of stonework, with each window, the entire thing is like a canvas being painted. The stone arch observation tower will be a great place. When the trees, fountains, sculpture and remaining streetscape improvements, not to mention the Courthouse itself is finished, I think much of Nashville will feel a bit silly for overlooking this. If you guys haven't been by the site lately, get to it. NewTowner, I don't think we'll be disappointed. In fact, I'm looking into new computers and with all the new wi-fi around downtown, I've decided against another desktop, I'm going wireless, sitting on the arch, snapping a photo and just saying to the rest of the world, na na na na na....look where I am. ;)

I have not been able to post anything on the sight for quite awhile now since I have been deployed. I have been following the forum as much as possible but was just not able to reply. O.K. now that I said all of that, I thought that I was aware of everything going on in Nashville but somehow I have let this one slip by me. Does anyone have pictures of the construction or atleast some ariels of the site. I was so excited to hear about this because of spending most of my childhood and quite a bit of my adult life in Europe I am used to nice public sqaures with beautiful fountains and landscaping and such a relaxing atmosphere that you just can't help hanging out ang taking everything in. Does anyone know how many fountains are going to be in the square? I think that they add such a beautiful touch and also the Schermerhorn is supposed to have one if I am not mistaken. All we need now is one at the proposed? roundabout that I remember reading about (can't remember where) that I believe is going to be on Demonbreum or the Gateway Blvd. development (someone correct me when I am wrong). Man I cannot wait to get back to Nashville and see all of the progress and maybe attend one of the forum meetings. Can you all just imagine hanging out in the sqaure on a warm Spring day with the sounds of the fountain in the background and people chattering and then leaning back to just take in the beautiful Nashville skyline with Signature Tower shimmering in the sunlight looking down on you from 900-1000 ft above :D Man I am so excited for Nashville I cannot wait for the next 3-5 years to get hear. Take care all.

Bruce

U.S. Navy

Va. Beach, Va.

I have not been able to post anything on the sight for quite awhile now since I have been deployed. I have been following the forum as much as possible but was just not able to reply. O.K. now that I said all of that, I thought that I was aware of everything going on in Nashville but somehow I have let this one slip by me. Does anyone have pictures of the construction or atleast some ariels of the site. I was so excited to hear about this because of spending most of my childhood and quite a bit of my adult life in Europe I am used to nice public sqaures with beautiful fountains and landscaping and such a relaxing atmosphere that you just can't help hanging out ang taking everything in. Does anyone know how many fountains are going to be in the square? I think that they add such a beautiful touch and also the Schermerhorn is supposed to have one if I am not mistaken. All we need now is one at the proposed? roundabout that I remember reading about (can't remember where) that I believe is going to be on Demonbreum or the Gateway Blvd. development (someone correct me when I am wrong). Man I cannot wait to get back to Nashville and see all of the progress and maybe attend one of the forum meetings. Can you all just imagine hanging out in the sqaure on a warm Spring day with the sounds of the fountain in the background and people chattering and then leaning back to just take in the beautiful Nashville skyline with Signature Tower shimmering in the sunlight looking down on you from 900-1000 ft above :D Man I am so excited for Nashville I cannot wait for the next 3-5 years to get hear. Take care all.

Bruce

U.S. Navy

Va. Beach, Va.

Bruce, Check out the live construction cams and plans for the public plaza at:

http://www.nashville.gov/finance/Real_Prop...operty_home.htm

Stay dry.

Cliff

U.S. Army (Retired)

Thanks for the web link. I can't wait to check it out. My dad is also retired Army (Ft. Campbell) That is how I came to claim the Nashville area as my home. Oh and don't worry I'll stay dry :D I am Naval Security and have not seen a ship since '97.

Naval Security... cool. My last gig before retiring was in an Army Reserve Military Police battalion overseas.

The plaza plan includes some great features. It is great to see it coming to life.

I hadn't heard about another roundabout. Do you remember where you heard that?

This is such a wonderful development. In my opinion, so much more important than another apartment building. Like someone already said, this is the ultimate sign of the rebirth of Nashville. I don't think the present lack of any building frontage will be much of a problem. I do think though that the city should build another plaza like this just south of downtown in the sobro area or something.

I want to say that I read about it in this forum. I don't remember if it was a link from another post or not. Sorry but I do remember reading it, I just read so many posts it's hard to remember where you see stuff sometimes :blink:

lol... totally understand that one :D

I think I remember something about another roundabout too... but I can't say for sure where. I believe on the other side of Demonbreun to tie into the Gulch area possibly. But i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong :shades:

Bruce

U.S. Navy

Va. Beach, Va.

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the sacrifice you are making for our country to help make us safe. If not for you and all the other servicemen before you, we most likely would not enjoy the great freedom that we all seem to take too much for granted. I wish you good luck in your service to this great nation, and also look forward to the day that you get to come back to Nashville and enjoy all the great things happening here. :thumbsup:

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the sacrifice you are making for our country to help make us safe. If not for you and all the other servicemen before you, we most likely would not enjoy the great freedom that we all seem to take too much for granted. I wish you good luck in your service to this great nation, and also look forward to the day that you get to come back to Nashville and enjoy all the great things happening here.

I second that. Keep up the great work!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived