Will Raleigh rise to the Challange and make the MEAC basketball tournament rival that of the CIAA basketball tournament in Charlotte.

RALBOI

WSSU isn't officially in the MEAC as the MEAC's Board has not yet voted on WSSU's membership, that goes the same from NCCU. While in the transition process, WSSU and NCCU cannot play in any conference's tournments until they are voted in by MEAC's Board in 2008 and 2009 repestively. WSSU submitted its application to move to Division I-AA back in 2004. In 2005, it played only two Division I schools, one of them was Howard and for the 2006 Football Schedule, WSSU plays only one CIAA school and the rest will be all MEAC. So no, WSSU and NCCU will not play in the CIAA as they are transiting to Division I-AA. 2007 will be NCCU's last year in the CIAA. So WSSU maybe playing with MEAC schools, it is not a full member yet.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"NC A&T's Chancellor is leaving this year and WSSU's Chancellor was one of finalists when NC A&T's Board of Trustees chose its current Chancellor"

I could be wrong but I think Chancellor's for state supported universities are selected by the North Carolina Board of Governors (Board of something)...or else I think he would've been a shoe in for the Chancellorship at A&T (I don't think anyone from A&T had a say in the matter).

Well I think you are right, but I think the Board of Trustees do have some say and a strong circle of influence in affecting the decision like offering candidate choices. One of WSSU's Trustee have been writing to Erskine Bowles, the UNC President on how great Chancellor Martin has been for WSSU trying to presuade him to keep Martin at WSSU.

From what I've seen on TV, the turnout has been rather bleak so far. Alumni and fans of the schools need to get their butts down here to support the tournament. I wouldn't count much on locals since the ACC tourney is going on at the same time. It is far more important to people around here. They will not go to the MEAC if it means missing an ACC game. Hopefully more will come in the next few years.

Archived