Little Rock Events

skirby

This week is a busy week for the LR area.

The SEC Women's Basketball Tournament is being held in Alltel Arena. When the tournament was held here in 2003 an attendance record was set. 2008 will see a NCAA mens regional tournament for Alltel. Also, on Sunday March 5th the 2006 Little Rock Marathon will be held. Because of events planned this year an increase of 50% + in hotel room occupancy is expected over last year.

Next week the Rolling Stones will be at Alltel along with the 2006 State High School Basketball Championships.

It will be a busy two weeks for Alltel.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week is a busy week for the LR area.

The SEC Women's Basketball Tournament is being held in Alltel Arena. When the tournament was held here in 2003 an attendance record was set. 2008 will see a NCAA mens regional tournament for Alltel. Also, on Sunday March 5th the 2006 Little Rock Marathon will be held. Because of events planned this year an increase of 50% + in hotel room occupancy is expected over last year.

Next week the Rolling Stones will be at Alltel along with the 2006 State High School Basketball Championships.

It will be a busy two weeks for Alltel.

Good to hear. Has anyone heard any possibilities of Little Rock possibly ever hosting a men's SEC Tournament? It would be great to see Little Rock being able to attract something like that.

Really maybe I was thinking Alltel was a bit bigger. How many people can they seat for a basketball game?

Almost 20k but the Georgia Dome drew something like 45k and the Georgia Dome and Superdome were the only venues that were supposed to have that the SEC was interested in as they double the capacity of traditional arenas. Personally, I'd like to see a more central location such as Nashville, I get sick of Atlanta getting all of the SEC tourneys and championship games.

Almost 20k but the Georgia Dome drew something like 45k and the Georgia Dome and Superdome were the only venues that were supposed to have that the SEC was interested in as they double the capacity of traditional arenas. Personally, I'd like to see a more central location such as Nashville, I get sick of Atlanta getting all of the SEC tourneys and championship games.

Yeah I certainly agree with you there. It sounds like they're finally doing that. It sounds like it will be in Nashville this year. But I'd also like to see it moved around a bit around some. Memphis would be nice as well. New Orleans would be a nice option at some point in the future. I wish they'd occasionally move the football championship to New Orleans.

Good to hear. Has anyone heard any possibilities of Little Rock possibly ever hosting a men's SEC Tournament? It would be great to see Little Rock being able to attract something like that.

Fox 16 reported the following: "local organizers are working on a proposal to host the SEC men, with the bid being submitted next year. If the city wins, the soonest it could host the men would be 2013." Also, if the women's turns out as planned they may be returning in 2009. For basketball Alltel holds 18,000.

Fox 16 reported the following: "local organizers are working on a proposal to host the SEC men, with the bid being submitted next year. If the city wins, the soonest it could host the men would be 2013." Also, if the women's turns out as planned they may be returning in 2009. For basketball Alltel holds 18,000.

Good to hear that they're working on it. I knew they planned ahead for these things but I never knew they planned that far ahead. 2013? I wonder why they decided to plan that far ahead into the future.

Good to hear that they're working on it. I knew they planned ahead for these things but I never knew they planned that far ahead. 2013? I wonder why they decided to plan that far ahead into the future.

Again, we might as well be bidding on the Olympics. Even Nashville and Memphis are now out of the SEC tourney loop because they lack large enough venues.

That's great.

Burns Park has a turly first-class soccer facility. It's the Razorback Stadium of soccer, basically.

Ha! Reynold's Razorback stadium is no benchmark facility, believe me. The only good thing that can be said about it is:

1 - It's new (all mobile homes were new at one time)

2 - It has a nice TV

3 - There is a food court in the south endzone

Architecturally, it couldn't SUCK any more. Have you seen Texas Tech's renovated stadium, as one example?

Ha! Reynold's Razorback stadium is no benchmark facility, believe me. The only good thing that can be said about it is:

1 - It's new (all mobile homes were new at one time)

2 - It has a nice TV

3 - There is a food court in the south endzone

Architecturally, it couldn't SUCK any more. Have you seen Texas Tech's renovated stadium, as one example?

Believe me, as a football fan and not an architectural critic, Razorback Stadium is a benchmark facility. It looks sharp, has a big-time feel to it, and is awe-inspiring to anyone that visits for a game. It's not the biggest, but many people envy it because it's such a nice place.

Believe me, as a football fan and not an architectural critic, Razorback Stadium is a benchmark facility. It looks sharp, has a big-time feel to it, and is awe-inspiring to anyone that visits for a game. It's not the biggest, but many people envy it because it's such a nice place.

I realize that most people aren't architectural critics, but I'm telling you - if you had any experience touring other relatively new stadiums - you'd realize that its not all that great. Yes, it's new. Yes, it's relatively big (hence the "awe-inspiring" aspect you mention), but its quite clumsy. It's a real let-down to me and a lot of other people.

Check out: http://texastech.collegesports.com/facilit...bandsuites.html (Texas Tech's stadium) as merely one example.

I realize that most people aren't architectural critics, but I'm telling you - if you had any experience touring other relatively new stadiums - you'd realize that its not all that great. Yes, it's new. Yes, it's relatively big (hence the "awe-inspiring" aspect you mention), but its quite clumsy. It's a real let-down to me and a lot of other people.

Check out: http://texastech.collegesports.com/facilit...bandsuites.html (Texas Tech's stadium) as merely one example.

The original architectural design was more impressive. This was fairly weak, I agree.

However, college stadia are generally built for function and not form. RRS served all of the functions we needed it to at a good price and put us ahead of most of the conference in quality and jumped us to a respectable capacity. I'd be disappointed if we made a smaller jump in size and had fewer amenities just to make it more architecturally significant. I hate to break it to you, but very few high school recruits are making their decision on which football program to opt for based on the stadium's architecture.

The SEC Women's Tournament drew 37,000 + for the event without much help from the ladies from the hill. There is talk the tournament will return in 2009. More basketball news for LR include the State Basketball Championship this weekend at Alltel.

The SEC Women's Tournament drew 37,000 + for the event without much help from the ladies from the hill. There is talk the tournament will return in 2009. More basketball news for LR include the State Basketball Championship this weekend at Alltel.

The original architectural design was more impressive. This was fairly weak, I agree.

However, college stadia are generally built for function and not form. RRS served all of the functions we needed it to at a good price and put us ahead of most of the conference in quality and jumped us to a respectable capacity. I'd be disappointed if we made a smaller jump in size and had fewer amenities just to make it more architecturally significant. I hate to break it to you, but very few high school recruits are making their decision on which football program to opt for based on the stadium's architecture.

I don't disagree with anything you said. However, to clarify, I'm not complaining or desiring that it be some cutting edge, avantgarde project. However, I think people are generally aware of the difference between "okay" and "impressive." It wouldn't have taken more money, just creativity to get it to "impressive."

Yeah the Lady Razorbacks played two games last year and one this year. If they had managed a second game they could have perhaps broke or at least have gotten close to the attendance record again.

So, they didn't break the record? How close was it?

Thursday the 17th will be the official dedication of Heifer International Building. Friday night Kid Rock will be at Alltel Arena. On Saturday will be the St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown LR.

Next week at Alltel will be a busy week with CIRQUE DU SOLEIL

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend sees opening night for the Arkansas Twisters Saturday night at Alltel Arena. On Sunday at the River Market is the 2006 Jewish Food Festival, corned beef sandwiches and blintzes. Also, on Saturday the Clinton Presidential Center will hold its first annual "Easter Family Festival and Egg Hunt."

Archived