Greensboro Coliseum Complex thread

cityboi

location of the ACC Hall of Champions  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where sould the ACC Hall of Champions be built in Greensboro?

• Downtown
    • Next to the Coliseum
    • at Grandover near ACC headquarters

what is your opinion?

Looks like www.acchallofchampions.com has been reserved already

ACC Hall of Champions should be built downtown in my opinion. I understand the thinking of building it next to the coliseum but it would be better in downtown near the ballpark and other tourist attractions such as the International Civil Rights Museum. The museum would get a heck of alot more foot traffic if it were to be built downtown. There are many restaurants and entertainment options downtown and the hall of fame would be located between 5 colleges and universities. Its really a no brainer but apparently some dont see it. The city has purchased the land next to the coliseum which is currently the proposed site. But nothing is written in stone and the planners of the hall of champions could change their minds if alot of support builds for a downtown location.

The Hall of Fame next to the coliseum is not needed because we know the ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro is secured. However what Greensboro doesnt have is the ACC Baseball tournament and a hall of fame near First Horizon Park in downtown Greensboro could help lure the tourney. The Hall of Champions would also make it more feasible for developers of Bellemeade Village to build the hotel thats in the later phase.

Just think what kind of spin off development the hall of champions would attract. More high density residential for one thing. It would also attract more restaurants, increase the demand for more hotel rooms in downtown Greensboro and help attract more tourist destinations downtown.

The Hall of Champions belongs downtown. You don't see Charlotte planning its NASCAR Hall of Fame outside downtown

Edited by cityboi

It should be in the Triangle. I just don't see much traffic going to Greensboro, which has no ACC sports, just to see this thing. People are constantly coming through UNC's and Duke's campuses to see the Dean Dome and Cameron. Football Saturdays are huge in Raleigh and Chapel Hill (not so much Durham) as well the constant influx of other ACC teams to these schools would make it a prime location.

It should be in the Triangle. I just don't see much traffic going to Greensboro, which has no ACC sports, just to see this thing. People are constantly coming through UNC's and Duke's campuses to see the Dean Dome and Cameron. Football Saturdays are huge in Raleigh and Chapel Hill (not so much Durham) as well the constant influx of other ACC teams to these schools would make it a prime location.

Dont forget, the Triad has an ACC team (Wake Forest) so there is plenty of ACC tradition in the area.

It was thought to be a done deal with the ACC museum being built next to the Coliseum but apparently not. I heard on the news that other sites are being considered and my guess is that the sites are downtown. It wouldn't make any sense to build it anywhere else in the city. The hurdle now is to come up with the funds. The state is suppose the be helping to build the hall of champions inlcuding the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte.

Edited by cityboi

As much as I love the ACC I do not think many people will make a special trip just to visit it. I think the best place would be beside the Greensboro Coliseum. It has to be there in order to link it to any acc event going on next door, it becomes far too removed if it is downtown. Lee St/ High Point Rd needs the attention to keep it from further decay.

As much as I love the ACC I do not think many people will make a special trip just to visit it. I think the best place would be beside the Greensboro Coliseum. It has to be there in order to link it to any acc event going on next door, it becomes far too removed if it is downtown. Lee St/ High Point Rd needs the attention to keep it from further decay.

I disagree. I don't think the museum would have to be directly on top of the coliseum. If people are in GSO to go to the coliseum, they probably won't mind riding DT. Is the coliseum even really that far from DT? You can see DT from the coliseum and that's good enough for me. I do think, though, that Lee and High Point Rd need more attention.

Edited by jjasonham

I disagree. I don't think the museum would have to be directly on top of the coliseum. If people are in GSO to go to the coliseum, they probably won't mind riding DT. Is the coliseum even really that far from DT? You can see DT from the coliseum and that's good enough for me. I do think, though, that Lee and High Point Rd need more attention.

True they have cut down alot of trees to make way for more coliseum parking and you can see Greensboro's skyline from the coliseum. Downtown is only about 2 miles east of the coliseum. Thats not far at all. The museum doesnt have to be right next too the coliseum. like I said, a downtown location would see alot of foot traffic coming into the museum and people going to coliseum ACC games wont mind at all driving just a couple of miles to the museum.

Edited by cityboi

Once again, the ACC tournament was a success in Greensboro. The ACC has indicated that in order for Greensboro to continue to host the tournament. The city must keep the coliseum up to date. Improvements are planned such as adding cushing seats making the concourse wider and building a banquet hall of the ACC. The coliseum was origionally built in 1959 and is competitve with new arenas of today.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see the Hall of Champions built in downtown Greensboro, but I think it would be best served to be near the coliseum. People from outside Greensboro are not going to want to go downtown to see the museum, especially since no major highway services the CBD. A museum like that would also help growth around the coliseum area. The only restaurant within walking distance of the Greensboro Coliseum is Stamey's. Having a tourist attraction there would spur some more economic growth in the immediate vicinity. I think it would be great if the coliseum area would grow in Greensboro to be more similar to the atmosphere around the Joel Coliseum in Winston, with local businesses and dozen or so bars/restaurants/clubs within walking distance of the venue.

I see what you mean Triad Doug. It is logical to put it next to the coliseum because thats where the ACC basketball tournemant is held. I think it would be best downtown because the hall of fame will have enough drawing power to pull people off the interstates in into downtown Greensboro. Also it would be a great tool in attracting an ACC tournament we dont have and thats baseball. First Horizon Park would be the host site. Downtown Greensboro Inc had mentioned that a streetcar line could one day link downtown with the coliseum and Koury Convention Center. So in between events at the coliseum visitors could take a trolley to downtown and visit all the attractions downtown including the Hall of Champions or they could take the trolley to the mall and Sheraton Hotel. Between the Koury Convention Center and Downtown along High Point Road and Lee Street is the most obvious stretch of road in Greensboro to put a streetcar line. Its about 3 miles of road between downtown and the mall/convention center.

Edited by cityboi

• 1 year later...

the latest proposal is to renovate a portion of the coliseum for the museum. doesnt sound too appealing. this project is too important to the city, the region and (since the league has expanded) most of the east coast for it to be a part of a larger facility. it should stand alone IMO. thoughts?

The ACC Hall of Fame, if it goes in Greensboro, should go next to the Coliseum. It will see the bulk of it's traffic from visitors to Greensboro and most of that traffic will come during tournament time. With the Men's and Women's ACC Basketball Tournaments and the Regional NCAA Basketball Tournament events that occur in Greensboro it would make sense for the people attending these events to have easy, walking access to the ACC Hall of Fame. The bulk of these visitors are not jumping into their cars and driving downtown to see a Hall of Fame and fight all that tournament traffic. Let's also look at where the bulk of hotel rooms are located in Greensboro. Not sure what the exact number is but there's a lot at Interstate 40 and High Point Road (The Sheraton and new Double Tree along with at least 5 others). The many travelers staying in these hotels and visitors to the convention center would be more likely to go 1 mile down the road than they would be to go 5 miles into downtown. And if we were to get the ACC Baseball Tournament where would most of those people stay at a $230 a night hotel like the O'Henry or in the limited space at the Marriott? A vast majority of them will be at High Point Road and Interstate 40 just 1 mile from the ACC Hall of Fame.

Think about any time you visit a big city for a large event (sporting, business conference, concert, etc.) you are not going to drive across town when there are other activities close to where your hotel is. I usually try to walk anywhere I go in a big city since most things are convenient. Unless of course there is mass transit which provides easier access throughout town and let's face it a light rail system? We can't even run a city council meeting without some stupid controversy, how could we ever decide on a form of mass transit like a light rail system. Maybe it'll happen in 20 years when the leaders in this city learn how to run the city like adults. In the meantime we should do all that we can to help the area where one of the Greensboro's taxpayers biggest assets lies. High Point Road is dying and we will soon lose all the benefits we have from the Coliseum because people will no longer want to go near that run down section of town. The ACC Hall of Fame would provide a giant boost to this area and allow great events to continue on at the Coliseum.

I didn't know that the buck stopped with Matt Brown when it came to making decisions in Greensboro. But that article sure would like to make you think so. Maybe it would be nice to hear from John Swoffard and The ACC. Don't you think they should play a part in this instead of Matt Brown wasting our money with architectural drawings and his speculation on what he would like to see happen?

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't heard a peep out of The ACC about where their Hall of Fame should go.

I didn't know that the buck stopped with Matt Brown when it came to making decisions in Greensboro. But that article sure would like to make you think so. Maybe it would be nice to hear from John Swoffard and The ACC. Don't you think they should play a part in this instead of Matt Brown wasting our money with architectural drawings and his speculation on what he would like to see happen?

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't heard a peep out of The ACC about where their Hall of Fame should go.

alot of people in local government dont like "king" Matt Brown lol

The ACC seems to be MIA on this decision for some reason. While I agree that it would most likely get more attendance at the coliseum, it would be a better fit for downtown because it offers another anchor for that district and it seems well....more appropriate. Granted that people aren't going to jump in their cars and drive on the hectic High Point Road during tournament time, but if you implemented some streetscape program on High Point Road and possibly offered a trolley (with rails) or dedicated bus service then I think it would get the same attendance. The tournament is only in G'boro for a small amount of time during the year, not the entire time.

• 4 weeks later...

The ACC seems to be MIA on this decision for some reason. While I agree that it would most likely get more attendance at the coliseum, it would be a better fit for downtown because it offers another anchor for that district and it seems well....more appropriate. Granted that people aren't going to jump in their cars and drive on the hectic High Point Road during tournament time, but if you implemented some streetscape program on High Point Road and possibly offered a trolley (with rails) or dedicated bus service then I think it would get the same attendance. The tournament is only in G'boro for a small amount of time during the year, not the entire time.

Its beyond me why locals dont want to include the hall of fame in Greensboro Triumph Center. The developers were going to pay for it too.

No way this should be in triangle. ACC was born in Greensboro, is headquartered here and has hosts 1 out of every 2 tourneys. Where inthe triangle would you put it? Nowhere makes sense.

on top of that...The ACC would rather for it to be in a neutral location anyway. The wouldnt put it in a city that has an ACC team. but yeah naturally since the ACC was born in Greensboro I think the hall of fame belongs here.