Greensboro Coliseum Complex thread

cityboi

location of the ACC Hall of Champions  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where sould the ACC Hall of Champions be built in Greensboro?

• Downtown
    • Next to the Coliseum
    • at Grandover near ACC headquarters

It would be a big mistake to keep the ACC BB tournament from coming back to NC on a consistent basis. The historic core of the conference and I would dare say the most affection for the conference is centered around the Tobacco Road N.C. universities. However, this is an excerpt from a Charlotte Business Journal article which seems to imply that Queen City business interests are looking to strengthen their ties to the conference as well.

Charlotte already hosts the Atlantic Coast Conference football championship and a bowl game featuring an ACC school. And it stands poised to become home to at least one or two men’s basketball and baseball tournaments in the next few years. Now it appears the big picture for the city and its favorite college sports conference could expand within the next several years to include a national TV network devoted to all matters ACC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/03/14/will-acc-find-home-in-charlotte-for-network.html

Isn't there a clause somewhere when deciding tournament locations that excludes cities that contain ACC schools?  I could be wrong, but I have always believed that story to be true, which is why Charlotte, Greensboro, Washington, and now New York are the usual hosts.  Then again, Atlanta has a pretty sizable tournament reputation...

Practicality of quality arenas nixes W-S, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Even Krzyzewski and Roy Williams lobbied to move the thing out of NC so I really don't see that there will be a major emphasis on bringing it back especially with so many non-southern teams joining the conference.  

Thanks for the source. Having their position on a possible move described as "bullish", does not necessarily convey that they were actively lobbying for the move, but rather considering the newly constituted league along with the economic dynamics of the possibility of going to NY, that they are merely supportive of the option. It definitely makes sense to have a multi-year presence there. 

Edited by zalo

I think there is a misconception that the conference is moving the tourney permanently out of Greensboro and that is totally untrue. Its just another city added to the rotation. Greensboro will still likely host it more than any other city primarily because of its central location in the ACC geographic foot print. Dont count on New York hosting the tourney permanently or even more than Greensboro. The travel distance from ACC schools in Florida would be too great and there would be a lot of complaints considering the fact that most of the ACC schools are in the south. I do think it could be bad for Charlotte's bid to host the ACC tournament. Adding New York could mean the Queen City would only host the tournament once or twice every 10 to 12 years.

As far as New York being added to the rotation, I think its a good thing for the conference which in turn is a good thing for Greensboro because it puts the ACC, a marketing brand for Greensboro, even more in the national spot light. TV markets up and down the east coast from Florida to New York are showing the ACC tournament.

Edited by cityboi

• 3 months later...

a "historic event" is coming to the Greensboro Coliseum this fall. The coliseum staff is saying it will be one of the largest events in the coliseum's 55 year history. There will be a press conference on Tuesday which will include the mayor. If its bigger than the National Figure Skating Championships, which will be held at the coliseum next January, we may be in for a big surprise. I will say this, I don't recall the mayor ever being at a press conference announcing a big event at the coliseum.

"Something big is coming to the Greensboro Coliseum.

The coliseum and entertainment company AEG Live have scheduled a press conference for 4 p.m. Tuesday to announce “a historical event” coming to the coliseum this fall.

“This major event will be one of the largest events in the 55-year history of the Greensboro Coliseum complex,” the announcement read"

http://www.news-record.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/article_311ebf24-fb0f-11e3-b036-0017a43b2370.html

Edited by cityboi

I think it was funny that the press release (and subsequent media coverage) all said it was going to be a "historical event" meaning one that took place in the past.

Maybe that was meant as a play on words as I'm guessing it's Paul McCartney with maybe Ringo Starr.   

EDIT:  The Twitter page shows the Union Jack:  https://twitter.com/Gbocoliseum   I was kind of joking about Paul McCarthy (ok I stole it from a comment on the N&R site)  but this would be kind of really embarrassing to Greensboro if they made all this hype about the biggest event in 55 years to happen in the city is Paul McCartney...

Edited by Urbanity

LOL, I thought the same thing! I assumed that someone in that brain trust would have proof read the release prior to publication. I actually have tried to get all my affairs in order because I'm assuming Matt Brown will be announcing it's the Rapture! :shok:

• Like 1

LOL, I thought the same thing! I assumed that someone in that brain trust would have proof read the release prior to publication. I actually have tried to get all my affairs in order because I'm assuming Matt Brown will be announcing it's the Rapture! :shok:

Afterall this is Greensboro that we're dealing with. Given recent media reactions to "big" announcements, do you honestly expect anything different?

I think with all the big events the coliseum has been attracting, Matt Brown and his staff was being playful with this announcement. However from an entertainment/concert stand point, Its the biggest concert event the coliseum has attracted in a long time. McCartney usually plays big cities like New York and Boston.

I think with all the big events the coliseum has been attracting, Matt Brown and his staff was being playful with this announcement. However from an entertainment/concert stand point, Its the biggest concert event the coliseum has attracted in a long time. McCartney usually plays big cities like New York and Boston.

I actually think they embarrassed Greensboro to be honest.  I get your point - but if you look at the chatter beyond just Greensboro it is mainly snickers since they billed it as the largest event in 55 years....

BTW - He played Charlotte twice with his 90's concert (before Charlotte was even big) being broadcast live nationally via FOX.

Edited by Urbanity

You mean big events like rapper Lil Boosie & Friends in concert on Aug. 15. Yeah, McCartney's tour is full of big cities like Missoula, MT, Fargo, ND, Albany, NY, Lincoln, NE, and Lubbock, Tx.  :ermm: along with the cursory collection of typical "big" cities.  This tour date was a second bite of the apple due to his being sick for an earlier date and thus a date came open. Ole Matty Brown put on that big dog and pony show due to the fact that he was recently called out at City Council for needing a bigger subsidy in next year's budget due to an "unanticipated" decline in shows coming through the Coliseum during the last fiscal year :shades:

It was most disturbing to witness the honorable Mayor Nancy Vaughan slumming through such a performance. For my money, the GSO Coliseum "arrived" at the first Springsteen concert. So this is just half-*ssed self serving marketing B.S.

Edited by zalo

BTW - He played Charlotte twice with his 90's concert (before Charlotte was even big) being broadcast live nationally via FOX.

I've gone to his concerts in Raleigh, Columbia and Charlotte and tried to get tickets for this one. What can I say? We're fans! :)

• 2 years later...

Greensboro Aquatic Center is expanding and adding a second building with a fourth pool. In terms of seating capacity, its currently the largest aquatic center in state and the expansion of the entire facility will make it larger in size as well. The other two large aquatic centers in the state are the Triangle Aquatic Center and the Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center.  GAC was the site of a FOX tv reality show called "Stars in Danger: The High Dive" and has hosted a number of regional and national championships. Competition for major swim events is fierce. The opening of the Greensboro Aquatic Center prompted Charlotte to renovate its facility which opened back in 1991. Asheville is considering building an aquatic center. When the idea of an Aquatic Center was first proposed for Greensboro, it was planned to be built downtown. It didn't get enough votes in a bond referendum. Coliseum manager Matt Brown fought to build one at the coliseum. It finally did pass in a referendum. It passed because it was included in a parks and rec bond which Greensboro taxpayers always support. That was clearly a strategic move on the city's part. The politicians in Washington do it all the time, slipping things in bills they know will get support lol. 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/greensboro-aquatic-center-to-add-second-building-fourth-pool/article_0af88853-9c06-5fea-8e40-8bd671b1b7ab.html

Other news associated with the aquatic center.... Greensboro snags national YMCA championships for 3 more years. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/06/20/greensboro-aquatic-center-snags-national-ymca.html

59496665b5387.image.jpg?resize=1200,589

The Greensboro Aquatic Center today. 

1070A-614-AB_GreensboroAquatic.jpg

NC_Greensboro_13.jpg

GAC-db56d34e82.png

greensboro-venue-wncaa-di-2015-1465-720x

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...