Greensboro Coliseum Complex thread

cityboi

location of the ACC Hall of Champions  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where sould the ACC Hall of Champions be built in Greensboro?

• Downtown
    • Next to the Coliseum
    • at Grandover near ACC headquarters

cool. The city has been trying to get this for years and its finally going to happen.

I know. I'm still a little disappointed that downtown wasn't given an opportunity to land this, but oh well. Onward and upward I say.

I'm still having trouble visualizing where at the Coliseum Complex this will be. Do you know Cityboi? Is it supposed to front High Point Rd?

I know. I'm still a little disappointed that downtown wasn't given an opportunity to land this, but oh well. Onward and upward I say.

I'm still having trouble visualizing where at the Coliseum Complex this will be. Do you know Cityboi? Is it supposed to front High Point Rd?

Yes its suppose to front High Point road where currently there is parking (Near the High Point rd entrance to the coliseum)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see a separate thread for this topic but I figured going forward there will be enough conversation around this to start one.

The swim center is moving along quickly in an effort to take advantage of the current economy. I am glad they are doing their homework by visiting swim centers in other states. This will draw swim teams for competitions from all over the region. This fits well with what Greensboro does well--and that is hosting large, amateur competitions. Junior amateur golf at Sedgefield last week, NCAA regional track & field a few weeks ago, Nike Outdoor Nationals High School track & field, soccer tournaments are big every summer, ACC men and women basketball, NCAA regional basketball games, and so on and so forth.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/06..._speeding_along

• 2 months later...

Coliseum director says the swim center is on track to start construction later this year.

Below is the article from the Biz Journal:

"Construction of a $12 million aquatic center in Greensboro appears on track to begin later this year.

Matt Brown, managing director of the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, where the swim center will be built, said during a luncheon at the Greensboro Regional Realtors Association this week that the city expects to see construction bids in early October and could approve one of the bids at its Oct. 20 City Council meeting.

City voters approved a $20 million parks and recreation bond last fall, $12 million of which was earmarked for the swim center. Plans call for three pools

• 4 weeks later...

The final design of the swim center was revealed on WFMY this evening. I was BLOWN away at the final design. Its a very bold, contemporary and interesting design, particularly the shape of the roof. (landmark design). It was nothing like the first renderings which was a very boring design. As soon as the rendering is put on the web I'll post it. Greensboro should be very proud to have a facility like this and this will be a welcome addition to the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

Edited by cityboi

from what I did see, the Swim Center will easily become the best example of modern, contemporary architecture in the city. I was not expecting this and im sure it will be one of the best swim facilities in the Southeast. While i'm happy this is being built at the coliseum complex just think if a facility with this kind of design were being being built downtown!

update: the rendering will be shown again on the 11 oclock news on WFMY.

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro is trying to compete with Charlotte and Raleigh for competitions. When the facility is complete, it will be the most state-of-the-art and best designed aquatic center in North Carolina. The Mecklenburg Aquatic Center in Charlotte is already 17 years old and there was talk of renovated that facililty. But after Charlotte officials see Greensboro's new facility, you can bet the farm Charlotte will soon be pushing for a new aquatic center bigger and better than Greensboro's. Charlotte's facility is 49,000 square feet. Greensboro's planned facilty will be 58,000 square feet. The other major facililty in the state is the Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary outside of Raleigh.

Here is the news link that shows the renderings for Greensboro's planned aquatic center.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.a...13&catid=57

3946076461_8bfda86682_o.jpg

Edited by cityboi

I think it's long overdue for the Triad to have this kind of facility, regardless of the potential economic benefits. Personally, I don't know if I would go so far as to describe the building's design as "landmark." I'd rather reserve judgment until the building is complete. But I certainly think it's attractive and modern and very appropriate for the facility.

Here are some less than stellar captures I snagged from the video. I wish WFMY had simply posted the photos online.

post-22919-1253679659_thumb.jpg

post-22919-1253679677_thumb.jpg

post-22919-1253679686_thumb.jpg

for Greensboro this is a pretty bold design because most everything else thats built in the city is so average in terms of the architecture. I love the shape of the building. I assume the curved roof is suppose to resemble the rippling of water. The materials being used to build it are primarlity glass and metal. If its corragted metal on top, im not sure about that but I cant wait til its built along with the ACC Hall of Champions.

for Greensboro this is a pretty bold design because most everything else thats built in the city is so average in terms of the architecture. I love the shape of the building. I assume the curved roof is suppose to resemble the rippling of water. The materials being used to build it are primarlity glass and metal. If its corragted metal on top, im not sure about that but I cant wait til its built along with the ACC Hall of Champions.

I like the roof as well. And the materials on the side of the building do add a lot of interest. And you're right, you don't see that a lot around here. That stretch of High Point Road certainly will be more impressive with the swim center and the hall of champions, which is exactly what High Point Road needs... a little love and investment.

Edited by beyonce245

its an attractive design considering the competition. This is the facility in Charlotte which looks like a YMCA. This is why I said after Charlotte officials see Greensboro, you'll be hearing talks in Charlotte for a new facility.

3946193909_3c8cd31851_o.jpg

now Greensboro

3946076461_8bfda86682_o.jpg

post-a5848-Aquatic1.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Slideshow of the Aquatic Center, including new renderings of the ACC Hall of Champions, is now available.

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for that file ever since I saw it on channel 13 two days ago. These projects will help the Greensboro Coliseum become one of the best sports complexes in the country. Any word on the big banquet hall thats being proposed for the coliseum complex? Also any word on the additional 2,000 seats that will be added to the main arena?

Edited by cityboi

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for that file ever since I saw it on channel 13 two days ago. These projects will help the Greensboro Coliseum become one of the best sports complexes in the country. Any word on the big banquet hall thats being proposed for the coliseum complex? Also any word on the additional 2,000 seats that will be added to the main arena?

I haven't heard anything about adding additional capacity to the main arena. Do you have a link to a news story? I know the city is planning to replace all the main arena seating with new cushioned seating, but that's all I've heard in terms of seating.

As for the banquet hall, the city isn't planning on starting construction until July of 2012. It's part of $93.2 million in renovations that are planned for the Coliseum Complex, including a new exterior facade and redesigned upper concourse. See here for an overview of all the capital improvements planned through 2015.

The list should be fairly complete and up-to-date, considering it was just released in August 2009.

Thanks for posting the drawings for the swim center and ACC HOC. I think the ACC HOC will work well at the coliseum. Based on the drawings it looks they are going to change that side of the special events building to house it. Even though it will be part of the SE building, having its own entrance and facade will make it separate from the rest of the coliseum. To me this is a very practical way of getting the museum built and still look nice.

here is a video presentation by coliseum director Matt Brown. The Hall of Champions and aquatic center will be connected with a canopy. Im sure it will eventually be enclosed but right now most decisions on construction were made based on cost savings yet will still be state-of-the-art. Both facilities will be constructed with the same material so that it all looks uniform. Big billboards showing sports scenes will be placed on the exterior of the hall of fame. Matt Brown said eventually those large photos will be replaced with huge video screens when more money is available. Those screens would show graphics and maybe even sports clips of ACC/NCAA events happening inside the coliseum.

http://greensboro.granicus.com/MediaPlayer...?publish_id=361

accrendering092.jpg

aquarendering09.jpg

accrendering09.jpg

Edited by cityboi

• 5 weeks later...

looks like an amphitheater is under construction at the coliseum and nobody hardly knew it. Even most of the city council was caught off guard and didnt know anything about it. I guess they didn't get the memo.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/10/28/article/surprise_it_s_a_city_amphitheater

The amphitheater will have room for about 1,300 removable seats with a grassy area for lawn seating. It will be far smaller than the big 20,000 seat amphitheater in Charlotte and Raleigh. But I must say the Greensboro Coliseum is becoming a huge and very unique complex with all the different venues.

amphiteater_102909.jpg

Edited by cityboi

looks like an amphitheater is under construction at the coliseum and nobody hardly knew it. Even most of the city council was caught off guard and didnt know anything about it. I guess they didn't get the memo.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/10/28/article/surprise_it_s_a_city_amphitheater

The amphitheater will have room for about 1,300 removable seats with a grassy area for lawn seating. It will be far smaller than the big 20,000 seat amphitheater in Charlotte and Raleigh. But I must say the Greensboro Coliseum is becoming a huge and very unique complex with all the different venues.

amphiteater_102909.jpg

I'm having a hard time visualizing the location and final design from this picture alone. Hopefully the N&R will have a follow up article with design pics, etc. But it certainly is an interesting addition to the coliseum complex.

BTW, today is the Coliseum's 50th anniversary.