Changes you would like to see in NWA!

razorbackfan

I read a lot on the board, however, I don't do a lot of posting. I have noticed there are a lot of threads about what is going on, however, it seems in those people always start talking about what they don't like. So I thought a new thread would be good. By biggest problems with NWA are:

1)Sprawl- When you are dealing with 4 different cities like we are in NWA you are going to have this. I wish all the developers would either pick Fayetteville or Rogers and still with it. I would like to see a "downtown" area with several 15-20 story buildings and evetually taller. I know Fayetteville has the best chance for this right now, but the cities choice to put in a height restriction will help stop that. I don't like the thought of the Lindsey building being so far from other taller buildings and I also don't like how the Barber group is wanting to build the "tallest building in NWA" right off of Joyce. I would like to see a downtown area and so now it appears Rogers is our best hope, but again you are dealing with 4 different city govs here.

2)Main roads- If you look at college in Fayetteville (I know they are wanting to clean it up) , or sunset in springdale these roads look terrible. Sunset in Springdale is by far the worst looking main road in NWA. You have a ton of metal buildings that just look cheap. I am surprised the city of Springdale has not done anything to help this problem out and to make the city a little nicer looking

3)Traffic- I won't even get started on this topic, we just need to build some roads.

4)Smaller cities- I see smaller cities causing some problems. I see Johnson, Tontitown, Centerton causing major problems for the future of NWA. Personally I would like these cities to be annexed by the larger cities. If you look at Johnson for example, they use Fayetteville Water, Sewer, Electricity, Trash, Schools, and Fire department, if you ask me its already a part of Fayetteville lets get them under one gov.

These are just problems that I see and what I see other people complaining about. I love it here in NWA and I really like the growth. By the way I am not the worlds best speller and by no means did I spend a lot of time writting this, so if there are grammar or spelling errors. sorry.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see even more focus on greenspace creation, forest preservation and stream rehabilitation.

I would like for there to be an uninterruped greenbelt from Drake Field to the NWA mall, with trails, ponds, connections to parks and the like.

I'd like to see less suburbanization of outlying areas and more infill and overall smarter land use.

I'd like to see cities leverage the growth NWA is having now into better planning regulations stricter building codes.

Springdale looks like hell because they forgot about quality of life and continuity for the sake of being "business friendly" and keeping up with the population growth of other cities. That's ego. Those tall, ugly franchise restaurant signs make the whole town look like one big truckstop IMO.

The growth is occuring. It can be harnessed and directed into positives instead of becoming an out of control beast.

I've mentioned some of this before so I'll try not to be too 'longwinded' and summarize. More density less sprawl. I'm not saying we have to start throwing up 30 story condo buildings or anything but a lot more can be done. Even some rowhouses could work. I don't think having huge houses on huge lots is going to help anything. Also on the same not somewhat is more mixed-use development. Don't have all the people live on the outskirts of the city and put all the retail and such in one area of the city like the mall. Allow people to be within walking distance of some retail and such. Have more greenspace with bike/walking trails. Not only does more greenspace give more quality of life to cities it also allows alternatives methods of transportation than some of our increasingly busy streets. I'm sure I'll think of more later. :D

I've mentioned some of this before so I'll try not to be too 'longwinded' and summarize. More density less sprawl. I'm not saying we have to start throwing up 30 story condo buildings or anything but a lot more can be done. Even some rowhouses could work. I don't think having huge houses on huge lots is going to help anything. Also on the same not somewhat is more mixed-use development. Don't have all the people live on the outskirts of the city and put all the retail and such in one area of the city like the mall. Allow people to be within walking distance of some retail and such. Have more greenspace with bike/walking trails. Not only does more greenspace give more quality of life to cities it also allows alternatives methods of transportation than some of our increasingly busy streets. I'm sure I'll think of more later. :D

I'm all about the trails system. In fact, I have studied the tranportation plan like an uber-geek over the weekend (as well as reviewing just about the entire city code). I have already plotted my new home (fingers crossed) and the access to the new Scull (Skull?) Creek trail extension as well as those planned for phase one expansion over the next few years. I plan on doing a lot of bike riding when I get to town.

I'm all about the trails system. In fact, I have studied the tranportation plan like an uber-geek over the weekend (as well as reviewing just about the entire city code). I have already plotted my new home (fingers crossed) and the access to the new Scull (Skull?) Creek trail extension as well as those planned for phase one expansion over the next few years. I plan on doing a lot of bike riding when I get to town.

Yeah the small area of trail around the Scull Creek is quite nice. I was certainly impressed with it. Now they just have to keep going with it. I took some pics of it but they're probably quite a while back in the Pics of Fayetteville topic. I would just take more pics of it if you were interested but I don't think it's going to look so great with everything brown.

Archived