Louisville Development Thread

ppassafi

This thread is for all Louisville/S. Indiana dev. Post development news if you have it and discuss it if you want.

Louisville is building 2 bridges in a multi billion project (one downtown and one to connect the 265 beltway in Indiana)...it may take away from other state road projects:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...S0101/602280366

New downtown urban grocer:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...RES02/602280306

Brownfield redevelopment in a poor, African American neighborhood (would be the first Walmart within the old city limits):

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...388/1008/NEWS01

Disagreement over a new downtown arena:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...356/1008/NEWS01

Another "new urbanist" upscale retail development:

http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louisvil.../27/story3.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fletcher: 'Arena Will Be Built At Riverfront Site; End Of Story'

(FRANKFORT, Ky.) -- Governor Fletcher showed up unexpectedly at the Louisville Arena Unity Rally held in the Capitol Rotunda Friday.

The rally was held to reinforce support for the arena project at the riverfront location, which the governor explained is the only place it can be located to maximize profits.

"There's been a lot of speculation about where the arena should be located," Gov. Fletcher said, "but at the end of the day, the arena will be built at the riverfront site. End of story."

Among others on hand were: Lieutenant Governor Steve Pence, Senate President David Williams, Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson and University of Louisville President Dr. James Ramsey.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=4581995

LOL, I was at the rally. I wish I had more "insider information" but the best I can gather from being involved is that this is all political pandering. I must admit I was doubtful before, but i do now feel that this thing will get built somewhere downtown.

My personal preference is Water Co due to it being so much cheaper and the fact that the land is easier to work with. Plus, it can be connected to the Convention Center, 4th street, and the Marriot. Louisville lacking a facility like this is one reason we have lost some big time conventions like FFA which bring something like 100 million a year to the economy.

But, I also agree with the point that Main street gives a Wow! factor. Plus, Main street is really booming. With all teh new museums, hotels, and now restuarants and nightclubs, it really is becoming cool. By the way, I would check out the new 21C hotel and its restuarant, Proof, soon. It is SUPER cool. Even the bathroom is ultra modern with television screens containing pictures of real eyes in the mirror and you literally pee on the wall--onto a big modern waterfall, lol.

LOL, I was at the rally. I wish I had more "insider information" but the best I can gather from being involved is that this is all political pandering. I must admit I was doubtful before, but i do now feel that this thing will get built somewhere downtown.

My personal preference is Water Co due to it being so much cheaper and the fact that the land is easier to work with. Plus, it can be connected to the Convention Center, 4th street, and the Marriot. Louisville lacking a facility like this is one reason we have lost some big time conventions like FFA which bring something like 100 million a year to the economy.

But, I also agree with the point that Main street gives a Wow! factor. Plus, Main street is really booming. With all teh new museums, hotels, and now restuarants and nightclubs, it really is becoming cool. By the way, I would check out the new 21C hotel and its restuarant, Proof, soon. It is SUPER cool. Even the bathroom is ultra modern with television screens containing pictures of real eyes in the mirror and you literally pee on the wall--onto a big modern waterfall, lol.

I really can't make up my mind on where it should be at downtown. As stated the LG&E site gives that WOW factor that the Water Co. site can't compare with. At the same time, I think that it would be more of an economic engine at the Water co. site since it would be connected to the Convention Center and the would have a closer proximity to 4th street Live. If I'm not mistaken though if it's at the LG&E site wouldn't a shopping center be included with the developement?

I really can't make up my mind on where it should be at downtown. As stated the LG&E site gives that WOW factor that the Water Co. site can't compare with. At the same time, I think that it would be more of an economic engine at the Water co. site since it would be connected to the Convention Center and the would have a closer proximity to 4th street Live. If I'm not mistaken though if it's at the LG&E site wouldn't a shopping center be included with the developement?

The answer is no...the LG&E site includes an arena, hotel, and associated retail and restuarants. It wouldnt be anything like a "shopping center" but maybe more like a store selling UofL stuff. The Water Co site has less room so it woudlnt have a hotel, and retail space would be limited--although there are surface lots and vacant retail all around that site just itching to fill up.

By the way, nice to see you positively contribute without your usual southern debate!

• 1 year later...

Demolition of Philip Morris under way

By Sheldon S. Shafer, The Courier-Journal [Louisville], August 13, 2007

Demolition started today on the former Phillip Morris cigarette manufacturing facility at 18th and Broadway. Developers plan on constructing a mixed-use project containing retail stores, offices, residential condominiums, restaurants, and other civic structures on the 22-acre site. The $80 million project will be called NewBridge Crossing.

The developer and owner of the property is NewBridge Development LLC, a minority-owned group that is organized by Teresa and Frank Bridgewaters of Louisville. The buildings are being demolished by Euro Dismantling Services of Great Britain, one of the world's largest demolition companies. All 14 Phillip Morris structures, containing 600,000 sq. ft., are slated for tear-down.

^^ this is really good news for the west louisville area. i'm just wondering what kinds of retail stores they want there and what kind of 'condos' they want to build there. it is a good way to mix different groups of people in the area, but i wouldn't risk my life to move there just because some people are taking time to clean the place up a little bit. crime needs to be controlled in the area before i would consider moving there. i don't even like traveling in the area.

now to the article on the jeff towne center. it says they want a mix of tenants like those at the summit in louisville. those tenants are mall-like tenants. there tenants are already found at greentree mall. why put the tenants down the road in a lifestyle center? seems pretty stupid to me. i think a lifestyle center would go over fairly well somewhere in floyd county. floyds knobs or another upscale floyd county city would serve better in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Great office project for downtown and clearly one the market dictated there was a need for with the low vacancy rate the city currently enjoys. The design has a very modern aesthetic which should add to the overall vibracy of the CBD and help transition that specific area away from the older low rise and warehouse buildings whose time may be coming to an end.

Its amazing that set of 12 story towers will have as much office floor space as the Aegon Tower the tallest in the state.

Archived