Trendy DT Bar/Pub?

calsig2000

:rofl::rofl:

too true.

I'm in the market you would try to target, and I hate techno, and for what i can tell, when it's techno night at some local hot spots, the crowds are weak.

From what I can gather, what is doing the best right now are bars that play hits of the 80's and current pop/hip-hop.

What is the ultra lounge on Monroe? Drink I think it's called? Does it do well, is it even really an "ultra" lounge?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one would love to see this or at the very least a brew and view.

hmm... maybe the wealthy theatre would be a good fit.

If there was a reasonably upscale bar in that Wealthy Business district, that'd be so awesome. Something with a strict dress code and more than dollar drafts to keep the riff-raff out.

I had a friend who was going to try and get a few of his rich buddies to open a bar like that in Eastown...maybe I should tell him to reconsider and go in on Wealthy.

I think it would depend on what you want to accomplish. Are you looking for long term sustainability or willing to remodel regularly to keep up with trends?

Take a close look at what is downtown now and which have been able to operate successfully for an extended period and I think you will be able to target the appropriate market group.

Also I think it should probably serve great pizza!

I think it would depend on what you want to accomplish. Are you looking for long term sustainability or willing to remodel regularly to keep up with trends?

Take a close look at what is downtown now and which have been able to operate successfully for an extended period and I think you will be able to target the appropriate market group.

Also I think it should probably serve great pizza!

Welcome to the boards!

I agree.. Yummy Calzones would be delcious too :whistling:

Welcome to the boards!

I agree.. Yummy Calzones would be delcious too :whistling:

You can send some of the delicious Calzones out my way for lunch sammich. I was out in Holland yesterday - but my phone did not have your cell number in it. You could've bought me lunch yesterday. :D

Oh boy. These "techno" clubs you speak of or "techno" nights do not exist is grand rapids. There is glorified, watered down house remixes of top 40 with a dance beat, but as far as "techno" or any other dance genre, it does not exist. Thursdays at Crush (Sugar) is trying to accomplish that, but as was stated, top 40 nights rule all. GR is still struggling with new music that isn't force fed by Clear Channel down their throats.

Karma was a good time while it lasted. I do have to laugh at the comment by twoshort. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about ;) That ish had me roffling all over the room.

Drink "Ultralounge" is gross. It is a big black hole on the corner of Ionia. It is horribly decorated, horribly uncomfortable. NOTHING loungy about it at all. I was VERY disappointed.

Didn't the Drink Ultra Lounge get into a lot of trouble with the city for doing construction without permits? I was out on one of my regular lunchtime strolls through downtown a couple months ago, and it said that it was closed until further notice to do some code violation. Haven't heard anything since, though.

Regardless, I've never been there largely becase I've heard crappy things about it.

I'm still not sure what the criteria is here.

This place in Ybor (Tampa) has a rotating dance floor. Holy-Crap kind of a place! The website doesn't do it justice. Grand Rapids could support a place like this (perhaps).

http://www.amphitheaterybor.com/

Or something more with a coffee shop feel, like Cambridge on Monroe?

And as for Cygnus Lounge ... Shhhhh ... it's really a dive. Not worth the elevator trip.

(the city's best kept secret!! I don't like it when my table is taken! STAY AWAY FROM MY TABLE!) :whistling:

I'm still not sure what the criteria is here.

This place in Ybor (Tampa) has a rotating dance floor. Holy-Crap kind of a place! The website doesn't do it justice. Grand Rapids could support a place like this (perhaps).

http://www.amphitheaterybor.com/

I've been there! The place is pretty cool. The dance floor takes a little getting used to, especially drunk. I think they stop the rotating after a certain time so people don't fall over. They also had huge machines that blow freezing cold compressed air at you, that was neat too.

See the problem with a trendy bar is that once the local morons hear about it then it will get run over with drunks.

That other dude was correct GR doesn't have a 'techno' bar and the top40 C/C thing. lolz at techno bar.

Trendy bar?

In my opinion you can't have a bar follow some sort of trend (ie hot miami rotating disco club) and still be 'trendy'. Because it just got stoopid once you copy Miami. A trendy club can't FOLLOW the trends they have to MAKE the trends. Like Miami's some great place. F that. GR is a great place. We need progressive bars that do crap you never even HEARD about. The bar needs to be built without fanfare. With fanfare it just becomes the next tiki bobs with nasty skanks and prostimales dry humping on your dancefloor. Dry humping has its place in a bar scene though, don't get me wrong. But if you want a trendy club you can't have kids dry humping. Nothing ruins the vibe better than 2 kids rubbing their privates against each other. But if you're a horny kid nothings better than rubbing privates with random people, and that's why Taps was built. A trendy bar has to be expensive though and that's a problem in GR. No one likes to pay a lot of money just to go out. Unless you're an old man with a boat (ha!).

I'm talking clubs that have sharks in cages with monkeys serving drinks. Clubs being built in the gypsum mines with holograms. We need the Maze Craze back with alcohol! Well, maybe not.

My point is the only way you can have a trendy bar is to make sure that it is NOT trendy. Once you hear about it in the GRPress its over and the dryhumpers and backwards-hat kids will come take over for half a year and then boom on to the next trendy club and the club name is synanomous with 21st birthdays, hookups and college night.

I see what you mean Craig... Anything else is copycat.

Why can't folks be like my family when they drink. I have no clue why people drink socially in bizare scenes. All I know from my family is they grab a pint run to a dark corner nurse the thing until they pass out. If theres a place like that in Grand Rapids then I'd be there, minus the alc, but a good burger, my woman, and a nice tall glass of Royal Cola will do me. Sharks in cages, wow never thought of that one.

With fanfare it just becomes the next tiki bobs with nasty skanks and prostimales dry humping on your dancefloor.

The one thing that I'll always remember about tiki bobs were the bachelorette parties. For some reason they always attracted the rowdiest, ugliest, one-toothed, un-showered nastys from (fill in the blank with favorite hick town) that always had on those ratty, homemade white t-shirts glued with candy that said 'suck for a buck'. uuggghhh. They were the worst! :lol:

We should really have a thread for worst bars in Grand Rapids, past and present. I nominate Bucking Beaver.

Archived