Eastern NC / Coastal Plain Region

Mr. N

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you build new four land highways based on where the land is. You build roads where the people are. Fayetteville doesnt need an outerbelt and every town in eastern NC doesn't need an interstate road to every other part of the state. How many roads do we need between Wilson and Kinston. Our state has too many roads as it is where maintnance costs are extremely high. The amount of highway projects should reflect the amount of people in an area. Charlotte and Raleigh two places with a combined pop. greater than all eastern NC with a much more pressing need. I think its our state's legislature problem. The leg. is so skrewed up.

:angry: (I'm obviously not mad w/ yall but I just am fed up with all those guys up there in Raleigh.) :w00t:

I'm inclined to agree that Fayetteville doesn't need an outer beltline, but Ft. Bragg does need direct access to I-95 that is limited access.

Also if Business I-95 had been designed as a limited access route, with All American connected to it that would be all is needed. Now that the lights are computer controlled on Owen Drive it is a little better to take it to I-95. Why didn't Raleigh and Fayetteville install systems to coordinate the traffic lights in the '90s?

What is it with NC and the Interstate Business routes? Just run the interstate though town and designate the outer part as a beltway.

It is a limited access expressway for most of its length (1st pic).

DSC00795.jpg

I'm used to what Tennessee refers to as Limited Access, which is interchangable with interstate for the most part. (In Chattanooga US 27, Dupont Parkway, TN 153 are all limited access; and are colored blue on the limited access portions like I-75 by Rand McNally) In Fayetteville NC 87 from Downtown to I-95 would qualify. The above picture allows cross traffic and left turns.

What I mean is no left turns, and ramps/bridges for all intersections. Business 95 has traffic lights downtown, and in the Hope Mills/Airport area. Otherwise it is a highway with frontage roads to limit the amount of cross traffic. The only portion that come close to interstate standards is the northern end between I-95 proper and the Botanical Gardens/Police Training center.

In the first photo you looked at, this is the definition of a limited access expressway. Funadementally, they function like freeways but do not allow at-grades and traffic signals which expressways do allow. Limited access also does not allow private access points which is why you see the frontage roads on both sides of US 301.

In the first photo you looked at, this is the definition of a limited access expressway. Funadementally, they function like freeways but do not allow at-grades and traffic signals which expressways do allow. Limited access also does not allow private access points which is why you see the frontage roads on both sides of US 301.

After reading wikipedia's enterys, I understand now that roads that are freeways can be expressways also. (I had not been inclusive enough with my terminology) Both, have controlled/limited access to varying degrees. Freeways being the most limited/controlled. However, any left turn that must yield to oncoming/opposing traffic is an "at grade turn". So, by your definition "Funadementally, they function like freeways but do not allow at-grades", is incorrect (with reference to Business 95). As I understand it a limited access expressway restricts private enterances, and the frequency of cross traffic, but does not eliminate at grade intersections.

So, by your definition "Funadementally, they function like freeways but do not allow at-grades", is incorrect (with reference to Business 95).

Expressways fundamentally function like freeways EXCEPT Freeways DO NOT ALLOW the following that Expressways do allow:

At-grade intersections

Traffic Signals

Speed limit can be lower than 45mph

Expressway specifications vary by state as they have different standards.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=4961984

Don't worry they still going to build the condos in Carolina beach. Also its 13 storys.

I do understand some of what the NIMBYs are saying. Myrtle is a headache if you are not prepared. However these type of developments are needed for this area to sustain itself. It will work wonders for the Wilmington metro if done right. The traffic will be horrible if that area is over built. I am hoping that the city leaders take the surrounding geography in to consideration when giving greens lights to develop.

Archived