Artist proposal for Plaza on Fayetteville Street

avery

Sculptor Tackles Raleigh

Article in this morning's N&O about a sculptor commissioned by Raleigh to add art to Fayetteville Street. Thanks to a gift by Jim Goodman, it will be interesting to see what we get. The sculptor chose Raleigh for his work over Miami. Pretty cool if you ask me. Enjoy reading the article and please post what you would like to see.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a wonderful idea and I thank Jim Goodman for that generous donation in order for this to happen. If you create some "unsterile" areas in the city...then people will want to be there.

I am absolutely amazed at what Raleigh Leaders are trying to accomplish. Looks like they are trying to finally lose that small town...dead feeling.

Question: Now that there is no more FS Mall...where will outdoor festivals and concerts be held in the city?

I think it sounds pretty cool but I'm sure every provincial Raleigh amateur art critic will rip it to shreds.

Probably true, but who cares? You'll never please everyone, and these people would probably dismiss anything unique or bold because they're not accustomed to this kind of thing. This is the kind of thing that can push Raleigh forward. This isn't a no fun, non-imaginative region (actually the national reputation is the opposite) so why should the downtown have to remain that way? If it's good enough for Chicago, I'm sure Raleigh will be happy to have this. After all, which city would you rather walk around? If we can enliven this area, I can easily see Raleigh looking a lot like Portland, OR before too long. That is certainly a good thing. :thumbsup:

I think this is a wonderful idea and I thank Jim Goodman for that generous donation in order for this to happen. If you create some "unsterile" areas in the city...then people will want to be there.

I am absolutely amazed at what Raleigh Leaders are trying to accomplish. Looks like they are trying to finally lose that small town...dead feeling.

Question: Now that there is no more FS Mall...where will outdoor festivals and concerts be held in the city?

I heard rumors at one time that they are considering an ampitheater/pavillion type of area just west of the new convention center. It is a good idea and I'm sure they can incorporate the CC and the ballroom there to coincide with events there. Some type of annual festival downtown would really be cool. There are jazz festivals, BBQ competitions and other large city events across the country. It would be neat if Raleigh gained national reputation for a local, annual event that brought in tourists.

I don't know if the cons can really criticize this project, b/c it's a donation not a public project, and it comes from one of their darlings at capitol broadcasting. But, if it is provacative in some way (and his 'like sex' comment raised an eyebrow for me, at least) then I think you will hear something.

But screw 'em, sometimes you just have to steamroll over the critics.

As a strong proponent of public art, and frequent critic of Raleigh's most visible attempt (and failure) at the same-- the Time Plus Light Tower-- I whole-heartedly welcome the artist to town, look forward to the installation(s), think it's an awesome development for downtown Raleigh, and absolutely reserve the right to hate/bash the end result. :P

• 1 month later...

Well, the piece this guy did in DT Chicago (I think that was the city) wasn't exactly controversial... It was a screen of rotating faces with pursed lips that spit water into a giant fountain.

Personally, I wouldn't care if there were nude statues in provocative positions all over downtown... but I'm against those "chandeliers" simply because they are downright ugly.

I would do a row of statues down Fayetteville St.: Matlock, Angela Lansbury (Murder She Wrote), Chuck Norris (circa Walker Texas Ranger), Lawrence Welk etc.

That reminds me of an idea I had awhile back: All up and down Fayetteville Street have Oak leafs imprinted in the sidewalk (for the City of Oaks, like the Hollywood Walk of Fame) and each Oak leaf would have the name of a famous North Carolinian on it.

Archived