Artist proposal for Plaza on Fayetteville Street

avery

That reminds me of an idea I had awhile back: All up and down Fayetteville Street have Oak leafs imprinted in the sidewalk (for the City of Oaks, like the Hollywood Walk of Fame) and each Oak leaf would have the name of a famous North Carolinian on it.

Yes, very cool. Would you start out with the street fully imprinted or would you start with a clean slate and let alive people put a leaf in?

One imprint that would be neat in that collection would be a deviant: a leaf from the Davie Poplar from UNC.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me of an idea I had awhile back: All up and down Fayetteville Street have Oak leafs imprinted in the sidewalk (for the City of Oaks, like the Hollywood Walk of Fame) and each Oak leaf would have the name of a famous North Carolinian on it.

Thats seriosuly a good idea. Shoot Meeker an email about it...it should be a snap to rip up some of those cheap pavers and install some bronze leafs.

I forwarded the leaf idea on through the proper channels and it ultimately got to the City Manager who responded with:

although I appreciate this idea from the citizen, it is one that has been used pretty extensively across the country. Secondly, our sidewalks on Fayetteville Street are concrete pavers rather than poured in place concrete. So, it really is not an option.

I am glad that people are engaged in thinking about the downtown. This is very positive.

J Russell

I wasn't aware of any other programs like this outside of Hollywood, nor did I realize that pavers were being used. Is this news to any of you? :huh:

You may be interested to know that I have been working on this idea since 1997. A group of Raleigh "mover and shakers" met with me to discuss the project. We tabled it during the Fetzer period because nothing was going to happen downtown under his watch. It was revived again and presented to the city council in 2003 with the help of JohnOdom, then a city councilman. The Council actually liked the idea and encouraged us to continue. Then a protracted design phase of the Fayetteville St. renassaince began. We really needed to put it on hold until the design was finalized. Last fall I met with the project manager the City of Raleigh has in charge of Fayetteville St. There I found out about the pavers and the material being used for the planters. Since then I have had little time to work on this. I desperately need help to try to make this happen. I have received great encouragement from many prominent Raleigh people. But what is needed is a small group of motivated individuals who understand the needs of DT Raleigh and are willing to push this thing through and make it a reality. Maybe this forum will be the source of the motivated DT boosters that is needed. Any takers???

Why do pavers preclude the ability to do this kind of project? It seems like a paver or two could be "unplugged" and replaced by a wet, cast concrete square, or even an oak-leaf-imprinted specialty paver as the need arises.

I sent the idea to a City Councilman and an Arts Commission member. We'll see how it works out with them. I still think that even though Russell Allen says that so many other cities have done this, it can still be a special thing for all of us natives!

Why do pavers preclude the ability to do this kind of project? It seems like a paver or two could be "unplugged" and replaced by a wet, cast concrete square, or even an oak-leaf-imprinted specialty paver as the need arises.

I sent the idea to a City Councilman and an Arts Commission member. We'll see how it works out with them. I still think that even though Russell Allen says that so many other cities have done this, it can still be a special thing for all of us natives!

You are right. Pavers actually make it easier for us to remove a section and place our marker. The fact that other cities have also done this should not affect us. We have quite an impressive list of distinguished North Carolinians that us locals may know about, but I bet the newcomers and visitors would find it very interesting. Conventioners could follow the "Walk" from the convention center throughout DT on their way to restaurants, clubs and shops.

The concept is "City Square," a public green square, with Fay St traffic diverted around it. The square is elevated about 3' accessed by 4 steps up to the grassy square. In the middle is a north-south axis a verticle "waterfall" cascading from a thin framed translucent grated "roof" that has tiny LEDs that can display images and words "in the sky." Then theres a beam of light that projects from the geographical center of the square, and also a small stage at the southern end facing the Mem Aud.

Really great concept, and I think when the details are worked out, it will be great. Key words: modern and simple. Most everyone liked it.

N&O's quick story No pictures though :(

What will this do to the Capitol Square to Raleigh Memorial view? Can you see "through" the waterfall?

With the location of the stage, would crowds for Alive After Five, etc. now face north instead of south?

It sounds like the colored LEDs will complement the columns, which hopefully will lead to city council approval? Were there any "this is going to make airplanes crash" comments?

It sounds like the Chicago "park", which to me is a Good Thing. Kinetic, modern, and simple all in one package that doesn't insult its surroundings. It sounds a little like the NCSU Memorial Bell tower -- traffic can still get by, and it will just "be there" the way the bell tower is. Yea! Maybe the new years' acorn drop can be incorporated into this???

I checked out the old covention center land with the Triangle Business Journal's transportation reporter. It was amazing how quickly they hauled off what was left! We also ran into Greg Hatem outside the almost open Times Bar and talked about how all of DT is starting to come together nicely.

More news and a rendering at the N&O. I was inititially disapointed in the picture. But I think that is more of a result of the quality of the picture. The more I look and imagine it, the more I like it. If you look closely you can can see text displayed aloft in the LED's.

artTwo.embedded.jpg

Here's another I found by hacking the filename (it isn't shown on the website)...

artOne.embedded.jpg

JB

Archived