Artist proposal for Plaza on Fayetteville Street

avery

Also there's extensive use of black granite around the square, and the street would be cobble-stone-like and grass intermingled between the blocks. There would be tall vertical [forget which kind of] trees planted along the east and west ends in front of BA and BB&T bldgs.

They were cyprus trees. He described how they were important in his native land in the Mediterranean and that we should get nice mature ones instead of little puny ones and wait twenty years for them to grow. I agree with that, lets make it look right from the get-go.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a structure or just water shooting everywhere? I'm confused by these pictures.

Water is not shooting. It is falling. There is a stainless steel grid of cables above the plaza that will hold the LED lights and the water feature. The water will fall "like rain" according to Plensa (sp?) into a thin shallow pool.

A lot of ppl asked about details and I see those Qs here, but Plensa emphasized this is a dream, a vision, a concept... short on technical details and long on loose ends.

I asked him about the chandeliers and how this would fit with that project and he totally dodged the question, saying he couldn't comment on that--others would have to decide (ie, council). I know technically, it's a separate project, but I was a bit disappointed that he couldn't at least make a comment, considering that's why council decided to wait on the chandelier vote.

Dana--I think I saw you over on the right side--I think you asked about blocking the view down the mall maybe...

A lot of ppl asked about details and I see those Qs here, but Plensa emphasized this is a dream, a vision, a concept... short on technical details and long on loose ends.

I asked him about the chandeliers and how this would fit with that project and he totally dodged the question, saying he couldn't comment on that--others would have to decide (ie, council). I know technically, it's a separate project, but I was a bit disappointed that he couldn't at least make a comment, considering that's why council decided to wait on the chandelier vote.

Dana--I think I saw you over on the right side--I think you asked about blocking the view down the mall maybe...

I got the impression that Plensa wasn't overly impressed with the chandelier design. I'm not crazy about them myself. I personally think they look a little half-baked. I'm all for doing something dynamic, but those things don't get me excited. Plus, I think that the streetscape could become visually busy with the plaza "light canopy", chandeliers, normal streetlights, and various building/business signage that will start to pop up when the restaurants and bars start to open. Sometimes too much eye-candy can take away from a place.

I think the plaza idea is great, I'm really excited about seeing it develop further. I was at the presentation today. There were about 30-40 people there. His images weren't the best, he could really use the services of a good renderer. I hope people don't see the images on the news and in the paper and say "WTF is that?". I really liked the stainless steel light canopy, the waterfall, and the vertical beam of light. I think it will create a great focal point to downtown and Fayetteville Street. How cool will it be to sit there on the grass at night listening to music and looking up at the lights? I'm not sure about the black granite for the street. It seems too similar to asphalt in color, I would prefer something that would differentiate itself. Maybe that will come across in the next round of images. I also like that the plaza is raised several feet above the street level, this will help a lot to create a separation between the cars and people. Although, I hope they figure out a way to not have handrails around the thing.

Yeah yeah! That was me. I was wondering if the street will dive down into it's square pattern on the N&S ends and if so, are there going to be expensive drainage issues; or is the plaza going to be raised over the current grade, and if so woult it, with its stage, encroach upon the vista. It sounds like the grade changes are more implied than stark.

Hopefully my article on it answers some of the questions voiced here. :)

I'm waiting to hear questions about the bright light distracting air traffic. I had to LAUGH when he added a bright light element! I'm also waiting for someone to complain that "we just tore up the street plaza and now you want to build a new one!?"

One element here that he is impressively taking advantage of is the setback from Fayetteville St. that One and Two Hannover offer. Look at this aerial view to see what I mean.

I was also disappointed that he sidestepped the chandelier question. To me it sounds like he doesn't like them. However I think that the color of the LED canopy complements the colors of the glowing chandeliers. Throw all of this together with the NC Walk of Fame and we've got something the whole state will want to come see.

His whole project reminds me of the downtown in Las Vegas, which has really brought people downtown from the impressive hotels on the strip.

Sorry I had to leave early and couldn't meet you.

i was at the meeting too. i think this is absolutely fantastic. I love everything about it, and hope that people don't have too many objections that will disrupt Plensa's artistic vision. He definitely came across as the man with the plan. as for the chandeliers... i think they would integrate really well with this project.

I was wondering if the street will dive down into it's square pattern on the N&S ends and if so, are there going to be expensive drainage issues; or is the plaza going to be raised over the current grade, and if so woult it, with its stage, encroach upon the vista. It sounds like the grade changes are more implied than stark.

I understood that the road would be right on existing grade of the plaza and the square would be built up the 3' so it would block auto traffic from prominent view, but not block the vista.

I must say I really like the idea and I know it is just a vision at this point. My favorite elements are the city square and the LED display. The waterfall and vertical beam are not as important to me and I think that there may be a bit too much going on (perhaps ditching one of those elements might make this a bit realistic).

Anyways, one concern, considering I am a metteorologist, is what about freezing rain, how would this impact the design. Water/ice is heavy and that grid could potentially hold a lot of ice.

JB

I just read the N&O article and was taken back by the following quote: "It's the sort of work you would see in Seattle or Portland," said Leah Wiebe-Smith, executive director of the Raleigh Arts Commission. "It creates a space rather than creating a piece. It makes you look up." I'm from Portland and lived in Seattle, this is the exact opposite of what those cities would propose. The LED would never fly.

Overall, I like the design but is a lot to digest. I had concerns on taking out the mall and then putting something right back in but with the picture of the setbacks of the Hanover Blds, I am over that.

I also wonder about a road of Black Granite? Not sure what happens when it breaks or how it stays clean. Maybe not a problem.

For the LEDs, I am OK but do have both positive and negative vibes on this. I could see how it would be very nice but I do wonder what it will look like in 7 years to 10 years. And how much upkeep will it take and who pays for it.

I do like the center light as when flying in, I am always trying to find downtown. It marks the spot.

Overall , it is digesting well.

Here comes all the naysayers. The N&O's Dennis Rogers starts it off with the first article trying to stir up controversy about the new plaza. I have to admit, he does make some good points about the water feature.

Here's a quote referring to other fountains previously in downtown:

"They were real nice on warm summer days with no breeze. Alas, when the wind blew, as it usually does in the concrete canyon that Fayetteville Street has become, spray from the fountains soaked passers-by with funky water bearing overtones of squirrel and pigeon."

http://www.newsobserver.com/135/story/412813.html

Well, it does seem to me like the points this guy brings up are worthy of consideration... if it's determined that he is just nay-saying, then forget him, but if there's real merit to what he's saying then the plan may need to be changed. The last thing we want is a fountain spraying water such that it pools on the black granite, causing it to ice over every time it drops below freezing.

The art sounds pretty neat to me, but perhaps a bit over the top. I want to see more renderings, because at least it seems like an exciting concept.

But before we go any further, we need to think of the practical side too...

Archived