Conn.

M. Brown

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in CT for 12 years and have always known Brigeport was the largest. It does not seem like it since Hartford's skyline is impressive. Bridgeport has been hovering in the 139,000 and Hartford actually dropped in population from 128,000 to 122,000 in the most recent census. Hartford I think is about to make a comeback with all the new developments downtown. Bridgeport on the other hand really need to get its act together. It has a great location, proximity to NYC. Stamford and New Haven seem to be the few larger cities in CT that are making a tremendous comeback.

I think its pretty well known in the NE that Hartord is not the biggest city in CT by city proper pop. It is by far the most impressive mtero area in CT, and has the second best skyline in new England after boston. Bridgeport, New haven, and other southwest coastal CT cities are very much bedroom communities for NYC with extensive commuter rail etc. They also have very poor inner city areas with real poverty. New england cities are too small physically, and that leads to a poor central city with wealthy suburbs. Boston is the only big new england city that is big enough physically to have a mixed demographic. It is still very small with only about 47 sq mi. Cambridge, accross the river from boston, is only about 7.5 sqmi with 101,000 people. It has a good mix of incomes as well with a good size immigrant popultation, although it tends to be on the wealthy side.

• 7 months later...

I think its pretty well known in the NE that Hartord is not the biggest city in CT by city proper pop.  It is by far the most impressive mtero area in CT, and has the second best skyline in new England after boston.  Bridgeport, New haven, and other southwest coastal CT cities are very much bedroom communities for NYC with extensive commuter rail etc.  They also have very poor inner city areas with real poverty.  New england cities are too small physically, and that leads to a poor central city with wealthy suburbs.  Boston is the only big new england city that is big enough physically to have a mixed demographic.  It is still very small with only about 47 sq mi.  Cambridge, accross the river from boston, is only about 7.5 sqmi with 101,000 people.  It has a good mix of incomes as well with a good size immigrant popultation, although it tends to be on the wealthy side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think most ppl in NE think Bridgeport is the largest city. I think if you ask anyone thats not from CT about bridgeport they will say what is that.

• 5 months later...

Do the people of Conn. think that Harftord is Largest, or do they know that Bridgeport is the largest?  Or do they don't care and not know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was born and raised in Connecticut. I think I became aware of that fact years after I left Connecticut. I probably read it somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I have lived in CT my whole life and everyone is fully aware that Bridgeport is larger then the city of Hartford. Hartford though gets more coverage through the media because since it is halfway between New York City and Boston, and since it is the capital city, the local new stations (FOX, NBC, CBS) are all located in the Hartford area and thus focus more on Hartford and New Haven news.

Archived