Any Alaskans Out There?

This summer I am going on a ten day trip to Alaska from, Anchorage all the way to Coldfoot. It's through a University for High Schoolers. I was wondering what is the best type of clothing to wear (mostly in Fairbanks and Coldfoot(North of The Arctic Circle). True I use to live there, but we never left Anchorage, so I need some help. My mom told me I shoud ask for some advice, I don't want to spend all kinds of money on clothes. On the trip we will be doing some hiking in Denali. Any tips for me!!!

THANKS

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yep there are atleast two ill try to contact them to let them know about ya

Thanks urbanguy!!!!

Though I am sure that it can very a lot. I was in the Fairbanks area in June/July once and saw everything from 85+ degree weather to snow. You probably want to take some warm clothes.

That's a big vary in weather!! Thanks for the tip!!

Hoi! I would be one of those Alaskans dragged back here by Urbanguy :D

Anyways as a lifelong Alaskan, what I'm wondering is... where or what is Coldfoot? lol

Since you're going in the summer, I'd have to recommend you bring some very light clothing.. for Fairbanks. Other than Fairbanks, I'm not too sure about the other places.

Overall, I'd say just bring regular everyday clothing from where you live (assuming you live in a warmer place). I wouldn't buy any thick coats until asking the locals once you're actually there. If they suggest thicker clothing, you can just mozy on down to Fred Meyers.

I would assume that someone from the south would be a bit chilly in parts of Alaska. While Fairbanks can be very warm in the summer, the ave. hi is still really only in the mid-70s and it can be downright cold if it's cloudy and rainy. There are days that can stay in the low 50s even in July.

Along the ocean, expect it to be chilly. Temperatures will likely be in the upper 50s to upper 60s with 70s possible if you're there in July.

Keep in mind that while the sun is lower in the sky in Alaska, it is still quite warm and sun burns are very possible and can be much worse because you think you're not all that warm. (I learned this first hand)

I know i'm not an Alaskan, but I do have a knack for the weather, and I have been there. And this was in May 2004, when Juneau experienced its warmest and driest May on record, and it was still in the low 70s during the day nad in the upper 30s at night.. so keep that in mind.

Bring a rain coat. And really good hiking shoes. And a good camera. And a book. :)

Hoi! I would be one of those Alaskans dragged back here by Urbanguy :D

Anyways as a lifelong Alaskan, what I'm wondering is... where or what is Coldfoot? lol

Since you're going in the summer, I'd have to recommend you bring some very light clothing.. for Fairbanks. Other than Fairbanks, I'm not too sure about the other places.

Overall, I'd say just bring regular everyday clothing from where you live (assuming you live in a warmer place). I wouldn't buy any thick coats until asking the locals once you're actually there. If they suggest thicker clothing, you can just mozy on down to Fred Meyers.

Thank you so much, that makes me feel better, my mom told me I could wear pretty much the same clothes in Anchorage, but didn't have no idea otherwise! On the map Coldfoot is above the Arctic Circle and about 200 miles north of Fairbanks.

Thanks Again!

I would assume that someone from the south would be a bit chilly in parts of Alaska. While Fairbanks can be very warm in the summer, the ave. hi is still really only in the mid-70s and it can be downright cold if it's cloudy and rainy. There are days that can stay in the low 50s even in July.

Along the ocean, expect it to be chilly. Temperatures will likely be in the upper 50s to upper 60s with 70s possible if you're there in July.

Keep in mind that while the sun is lower in the sky in Alaska, it is still quite warm and sun burns are very possible and can be much worse because you think you're not all that warm. (I learned this first hand)

I know i'm not an Alaskan, but I do have a knack for the weather, and I have been there. And this was in May 2004, when Juneau experienced its warmest and driest May on record, and it was still in the low 70s during the day nad in the upper 30s at night.. so keep that in mind.

Bring a rain coat. And really good hiking shoes. And a good camera. And a book. :)

Thanks! Most of my friends think I am crazy, but I love Alaska.... After I graduate I want to move back and planning on moving back!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

willacoochee, when and where did you live in Alaska? I lived there from 1984 to 94 and moved when I was 11 years old. I hope to move back up there in a couple years or less and finish school at UAA.

Hey! I lived there in 1991-1993. I lived in Anchorage, my dad was stationed at Elmendorf Airforce Base. Once I graduate high school here (in Georgia) I am planning/wanting to attend Univeristy of Alaska (Anchorage) too!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Alaska is the shiot :-)... Pot is legal, so be sure to bring some or get some for the trip... Ive been to the Panhandle (Ketchikan) and it rains there ALWAYS.... but Fairbanks weather is QUITE opposite... Its dry and freezing during the winter, and warm (70's) in the summer... so just be prepared for RAPID weather change... and be sure to keep it green :sick: LMAO... (Not that green of course)... HAHAHA

Alaska is the shiot :-)... Pot is legal, so be sure to bring some or get some for the trip... Ive been to the Panhandle (Ketchikan) and it rains there ALWAYS.... but Fairbanks weather is QUITE opposite... Its dry and freezing during the winter, and warm (70's) in the summer... so just be prepared for RAPID weather change... and be sure to keep it green :sick: LMAO... (Not that green of course)... HAHAHA

Thanks for the weather information! Sorry, but I don't do pot (drugs, etc.)

This summer I am going on a ten day trip to Alaska from, Anchorage all the way to Coldfoot. It's through a University for High Schoolers. I was wondering what is the best type of clothing to wear (mostly in Fairbanks and Coldfoot(North of The Arctic Circle). True I use to live there, but we never left Anchorage, so I need some help. My mom told me I shoud ask for some advice, I don't want to spend all kinds of money on clothes. On the trip we will be doing some hiking in Denali. Any tips for me!!!

THANKS

hello,,, if you are coming here this summer, when u get here,,, don't forget a good misquito spray, with deet atleast 90% or better,,, the army uses this high of deet,,, hiking boots, rain jacket, a light and breathable kind with a hood,, jeans, alot of socks, 1 or 2 hooded sweaters,,, bugs get bad in the tundra area,,,, a head net also helps,, pants with zip off legs works good,, so when it gets chilly u zip them on.

alaskandingo

Archived