Street conditions within the downtown grid

capitalapts

[i'll preface this by saying I suspect they may be waiting until Fayetteville Street is done to address some of the below]

The streets in downtown proper really couldn't be in any worse condition. I'm lucky in that I walk to work as I live and work in downtown, but of course, whenever I drive somewhere, the ride takes quite a beating. It was poor planning by the contractor to scarify the asphalt in the Fayetteville St. cross-streets (Hargett, Martin, Davie). Hargett is a nightmare, and I suspect most of you know what I mean. Wilmington is also in terrible shape-it's like driving up a potholed, gravel road.

It doesn't just stop at the extents of the grid. Hillsborough St....ah....what on earth are they waiting on to repave the stretch between Salisbury and at least St. Mary's? It's like Wilmington St. through that stretch. Morgan St. is in similar, although perhaps not as bad, condition in the vicinity. Jones St. is terrible just east of Glenwood.

Furthermore, what's with all the crazy suicide dips many of the streets make at intersections? I realize some of this was probably due to drainage issues, but this isn't the ancient Roman Empire-surely, the street humps could be much more subtle upon next resurfacing. You can see the scraped asphalt in many areas (the Jones and Wilmgton intersection comes to mind) where people have bottomed out, presumably just going the speed limit.

It's this guy's opinion that making the effort to revitalize downtown is great. However, lots of the efforts depend on people showing up, and as automobile-centric as this area is, the City would be wise to make sure the streets are in better condition, if for no other reason than to give people one less excuse to come downtown and enjoy the new stuff.

/end rant

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scarify the asphalt in the Fayetteville St. cross-streets (Hargett, Martin, Davie).

I know that hargett and Martin will be converted to two-way traffic and repaved in the secions of pavement that were milled (stripped the top layer of asphalt off).

Hillsborough St betw Glenwood and St Mary's in undergoing a streetscape project--but it looks like repaving is not part of the contract... :(

1. Bids - Hillsborough Streetscape Phase II - Paul Howard Construction Company

Bids were received on November 22, 2005, for the replacement of existing curb with granite curb, the replacement of existing sidewalk with concrete pavers, and the installation of trees, shrubs and ground cover. The work will be performed along Hillsborough Street between Glenwood Avenue and St. Mary

I know that hargett and Martin will be converted to two-way traffic and repaved in the secions of pavement that were milled (stripped the top layer of asphalt off).

No doubt, the asphalt had to be scarified at these intersections prior to repaving. I just disagree with the timing of it. I think the contractor should have held off until immediately before resurfacing. You practically need a Jeep (a real one, not chrysler product) to drive Hargett across Fayetteville these days.

Hillsborough St betw Glenwood and St Mary's in undergoing a streetscape project--but it looks like repaving is not part of the contract... :(

1. Bids - Hillsborough Streetscape Phase II - Paul Howard Construction Company

Bids were received on November 22, 2005, for the replacement of existing curb with granite curb, the replacement of existing sidewalk with concrete pavers, and the installation of trees, shrubs and ground cover. The work will be performed along Hillsborough Street between Glenwood Avenue and St. Mary

I hope (and think) the city is resizing and adding some of the water and sewer connections between Glenwood and St Marys so that after the repaving when proposed development starts breaking ground the new pavement will not have to be cut to do this work.....5 story condo buildings need larger utility pipes than TAO Auto.

I hope (and think) the city is resizing and adding some of the water and sewer connections between Glenwood and St Marys so that after the repaving when proposed development starts breaking ground the new pavement will not have to be cut to do this work.....5 story condo buildings need larger utility pipes than TAO Auto.

I think they have been doing this. To what extent, I'm not sure, but I do know they have been upgrading street utilites all around the new Bloomsbury Estates project at the intersection of Boylan and Hargett. They also did some upgrades along Boylan from that intersection north to Hillsborough St.

That was probably to accomodate all the upcoming construction.

Archived