Will a large development on the southside of downtown redefine downtown?

snoogit

I was thinking that if this development is built, and has sizeable oomph to it (Meaning it isnt a sprawling 30 acre complex, or something that looks like it belongs in Ada) Would the entire downtown shift? Given a few years would the Heartside neighborhood be the north end of town? would parts of Wyoming become parts of Grand Rapids?

I wish we had more historical references for these types of development that were built just outside the city's main core, and how they affected the entire city landscape.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking that if this development is built, and has sizeable oomph to it (Meaning it isnt a sprawling 30 acre complex, or something that looks like it belongs in Ada) Would the entire downtown shift? Given a few years would the Heartside neighborhood be the north end of town? would parts of Wyoming become parts of Grand Rapids?

I wish we had more historical references for these types of development that were built just outside the city's main core, and how they affected the entire city landscape.

With all the hype of this project - I can see many other secondary projects sprouting up immediately once this one is a go. I can see many parcels of land and empty building filling up quickly. One example I see already: there's a big factory on the west side of US131 near Franklin I believe that is being overhauled for office use. Not really DT - but a short stones throw from DT none the less.

If this project is the behemoth that it sounds like, I could see developments make the city lines obscure. GR and many of the suburbs already blend together at the borders - it could really take on a life of its own.

It will indeed change the whole idea of where the downtown area starts and ends. What we see as the downtown area now may just be the central section of a huge area that streches from Franklin street to the south all the way to Riverside park to the North. The area directly accross the river from this project may also see a similar development, further extending this new DT westward. I can also see development moving down Century ave. all the way to the Wyoming border. In the end, we have to stop using the term Downtown because it will be so large.

It will redifine the border of what we call downtown.

This area will be easily connected to the existing development around the arena as well as to the core of what is now considered downtown. It won't be long after the announcement before the DeVos family (or Grand Action) finds a use for the corner of Market and Fulton. This will close any percieved gap in the flow of downtown into this project. The fact that the higway cuts through this will not be an issue as it is elevated for the most part. Just think of how the Chicago river goes through downtown Chicago with out seperating the sides.

I would also suspect that the project would be built with an urban density that would keep it in line with the overall downtown area.

If this does impact the polarity of downtown, it will just add to character of each area. Chicago has these poles too--the Loop, N. Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, Gold Coast.

When the city's Millennium Park was created over the ugly and unapproachable Metra tracks, it added a new pole to the mix and reinvigorated what was previously a dead part of the city.

If this does impact the polarity of downtown, it will just add to character of each area. Chicago has these poles too--the Loop, N. Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, Gold Coast.

When the city's Millennium Park was created over the ugly and unapproachable Metra tracks, it added a new pole to the mix and reinvigorated what was previously a dead part of the city.

Very good comparison to Chicago's 'poles'. Love it...

I think if this project proves to be a entertainment/shopping complex, it will definitely add character to town. I hope that if this is what the project is, that they really emphasize the lablel of "Market Street" as being a Market/Shopping avenue. Perhaps with having stores along Market Street, having a big plaza center in the middle where people can sit and enjoy views of the river...and call it Market Plaza or something. I dunno, I just think it would give a better definition of the street itself and the area.

Of course I don't mind the towers either. I also agree with someone's remarks about having this project connecting with the other side of the river. A pedestrian bridge would be the perfect thing, utilizing the little island as a little island-on-the-side to sit on some benches and enjoy the view (since it floods a lot), or perhaps getting more dirt to raise the elevation and give it a "beach feel" in the summer - make a port landing for kyaks and canoes...then the other side could be used for possibly more retail, and connecting the GVSU campus (which would be a big thing for the college kids to have a walkable way to get to a shopping center).

I just think if everything is put to the right use, it will make downtown that much better. I don't think there will be a shift necessarily, just more of an expansion to downtown.

Archived