A Step Backwards In Urban Development

urbanbna

Here is the link to the article in the Tennessean :

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...2/1195/COUNTY01

IMO I think this is a major step backwards. Building another apartment complex this close to downtown is not only a waste of space, but time, money, and use of land that could go to a great urban project such as a new condo building, row houses or something better for that area.

What do you think?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$700-1000 a month! For MetroCenter!!!! What the.......

Those have better be some mighty fine apartments, you can rent nice/decent stuff in the downtown area for prices in that range.

MetroCenter is not my idea of the most appealing place to live, not that is a bad area per se for one to live in.....its just not the type of area I would shell out that kind of money for an apartment.

I have known about these for sometime and had them listed on the Urban Development map. This area is a fringe area to a less than good neighborhood. They are going to be nice apartments but I do agree they should have been built up instead of spread out over a 5 or 10 acre site. There are already a number of apartment complexes in that general area and some of them have been really run down. The one thing to consider is that these are apartments and not condos. There are very few apartments being built close to the downtown area and they are in a good location if you work in Metro center. What apartments there are, are being converted to condos. With land being taken up with developments like these they will have to start going higher sooner rather than later. There is still a lot of available space in Metro Center to build.

^ True. I was not thinking about people wanting to live near their work in MetroCenter. That still seems steep though for the area.

I will go check it out on the development map to see where this is located at. :) I would especially not want to pay that high a rent for an apartment in a fringy area of MetroCenter.

I haven't seen much of it yet, but I don't have a problem with this. Some people really like the complexes, especially when they have the amenities they would ordinarily have to go to Hermitage or wherever for. This area isn't in the same area as the others, but right across from Film House, St. Cecelia, Maxwell House and right at the interstate. Nobody's been clamoring to build anything for housing (other than the retired teaches high-rise and the nuns) in my lifetime. Rents aren't out of line with most complexes anyway, but certainly not cheap. Anything to propel this area back to prosperity is fine with me. Just don't cross the loop with it.

^ I don't have a problem with the project at all, and hopefully it will start making that area less sketchy, I'm just concerned that the pricing might be a tad to high to fill it. They probably have studied it though, and probably are confident the pricing structure can be sold.

^ I don't have a problem with the project at all, and hopefully it will start making that area less sketchy, I'm just concerned that the pricing might be a tad to high to fill it. They probably have studied it though, and probably are confident the pricing structure can be sold.

Actually that is about average (700-1000 a month) in Nashville. $500 or $600 will barely get you out of the slums here. I know I looked at pricing in Bellevue 8 or 9 years ago and they were 800 to a 1000 then. I will see what the average price is here and get more info. I haven't looked at that for a while and I am interested to know.

Here ya go. Nashville average for one and three BR.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TN-Na...le-Pricing.html

^Well it is MetroCenter ;), not downtown or Bellvue were prices like that IMO are more in line and to be expected. Its not the price range, its the price range for the location in question. I would rather pay (and have paid) in that range to live downtown or West End in a nice to decent apartment. I think this may just my personal inclination causing me to not be hot on the price range for the area.

I'd rather see this project built in Metro Center than built 20 miles out on some sprawling farm.

Great point. This develpment doesn't bother me either. It fills a need that has needed to be filled. There has got to be a wide range, and offerings, of apartments and condos for the whol idea of revitalizing the core to work. This just helps strengthen the outlying areas of the core.

I agree; these apartments fill a need. MetroCenter was designed on a somewhat suburban [and dated] model in the first place. Not to point out the obvious, but it should be noted that all the big office buildings in MetroCenter are surrounded by surface parking lots. As far as I know, there are no multi-level, space-saving garages in MetroCenter. I personally don't feel the area offers much of a pleasing environment, save for the greenway on the levee. And Watkins. I wish the area had been developed more densely, kinda like the Gulch, but with an office and retail focus. And I hope a marina gets built there.

Archived