A Starbucks this way comes...

urbanbna

Tennessean Article :

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/1196/COUNTY01

They Are Taking Over!!! :blink:

With all the Starbucks in Nashville, like the two being built blocks away from eachother on 21st Ave, the ones that are downtown, and all the ones on the major arterials, do you really think we need more. IMO, i dont think Nashville needs more. Its becoming the Wal-Mart of coffee shops. I know multiple local owned coffee shops that have had to close shop because a Starbucks has opened up near by. What do you think?

<edit> Thanks for re-opening it Metro. Sorry about that.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it should be left for the market to decide. If the demand is there, good for Starbucks. It's always sad when a local business doesn't make it but it is their job to compete and earn customer loyalty. Starbucks is usually packed when I go there so there is no doubt they have a hot product. Sorry, no pun intended. If they stay full of customers and can support more locations then I guess Nashville does "need" more Starbucks.

There is a starbucks on Sam Ridley Pkwy, which is within walking distance from my house. I've never once been there because I think Starbucks is overpriced. I don't care if they build another, but I will say it does seem like a status symbol for the area (Starbucks seems to be 'high class,' I guess because it's overpriced. Maybe I should sell pencils for $30 each and call them 'high class pencils!').

But SSG is right: if the market will take more, I guess we need more

Starbucks are definitely worse than McDonald's and WalMart in store frequency. You can get to 3 within 5 minutes of my house in Hendersonville, another one is planned for Indian Lake and I'm sure Gallatin will have one in one of its new developments.

I know, i live just down vietnam from the starbucks over by the target, the very next exit is the shopping center

Starbucks became the "wal-mart" of coffee shops years ago. But, as Skyscrapergeek pointed out, they *could not* have gained market share if there wasn't demand. They offer a good product and people buy it. Oh, and from what I've heard they treat their people pretty well, too (#29 in Fortune's top-100 places to work). That said, if you want to support "mom n' pop" instead, here's a good reference: http://www.delocator.net/ We've got lots of fantastic options.

Indeed. In coffeegeek circles it is known as Charbucks, because they way way over-roast their beans. And they have replaced barista training with automatic espresso machines that makes medeocre espresso (and drinks based on it) at best. Over-roasting is a way to mask the quality of beans being used. Personally I think dunkin doughnuts has much better coffee.

My recommendation, if you want to drink premium coffee, is to support the local, non-chain coffee shops as much as you can. Count yourself as fortunate if you can find one that takes the time to either use or purchases locally roasted beans.

Starbucks is okay, but metro's right, the beans are overroased. But with fido, Bongo(s), Frothy, Portland, Coco, even Provence, there's no real reason to hit the 'Bucks unless you just have to. The only problem with fido, since it's so close to Vandy, is that I feel out of place if I don't have my laptop and book on geophysics with me. Even good ol' Panera has better coffee.

But, if the market wants it, so be it. The locator on Starbucks only shows 32 area Starbucks, but I'm betting the number has hit 40 by now, especially with what you guys said above with the new locations.

Provence bakery facility is in the Gulch next to the City Hall music venue. It's fun to look inside and watch everything going on. A retail location there is supposed to open, but no timetable's given. The original Provence is in Hillsboro Village, with another just opened at the Roundabout.

Provence bakery facility is in the Gulch next to the City Hall music venue. It's fun to look inside and watch everything going on. A retail location there is supposed to open, but no timetable's given. The original Provence is in Hillsboro Village, with another just opened at the Roundabout.

Provence also released that they will be expanding to the burbs soon with locations planned for Franklin and Hendersonville!

Archived