North Carolina should adopt tougher emissions standards

intcvlcphlga

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we border a state (SC) that doesn't even have any. A good deal of NC's pollution comes from the TVA as well.

NC has actually sued the TVA. I do think it would be great, however, if NC could take the lead in the South in combatting auto emissions. That way, the auto industry would be getting pressure from all corners of the country as well as many of the most populous states. Ideally, the other large southern states - Virginia, Georgia and Florida would follow suit.

If the midwest can clean up its act, we should do fine in NC with the existening emissions standards. Roughly, almost half of the counties are doing emissions testing. The rest of the non-emission counties only do saftey inspections like brakes/lights/etc.

How do you think Mt Mitchel and Clingmans Dome has so many trees rotting at the top?

Its not the TVA as being the major cause.

Of course, any progress in this regard is a good thing, but I think NC more or less leads "the south" already in motor verhicle emissions standards, and it has for years--perhaps since the beginning (almost 30 years ago?). Though not all inspection mechanics are so meticulous, the guidelines for the tampering inspection are also pretty specific. Still, our regulations are a piece of cake compared to the protocol used by states like CA, etc.

Additionally, North Carolina already uses a low-evaporation gasoline formula similar (but perhaps not identical) to CA and NY I believe. While this reduces the amount of free hydrocarbons emitted into the atmosphere, it has a tendency to preignite--and this is why some people have noticed their cars "pinging" more when using NC gasoline if they come from a state that uses a less aggressive formula. This is sort of a double-edged sword because "pinging" in some vehicles can result in reduced performance and increased fuel consumption as the engine's computer attempts to compensate.

I would love to see stricter laws passed though--it would set a great example to other states as well as the automobile industry. It would also force the few diesel automobile manufacturers represented in the US to adopt cleaner burning diesel technologies like catalysts and particulate filters (already a mainstay in Europe).

It's reasons like this: Antarctica's Annual Melt Equals Water in Lake Tahoe, Study Says

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=ema...id=alhThE.8tud0

that NC and the rest of the US needs to wake up to reality and start examining how we live as a society. Emissions, fuel efficiency, suburban sprawl, throw-away consumer products, etc. all contribute to global warming and it's time we have a "Manhattan Project" that focuses on energy, waste/recycling, etc. Since the federal gov't, under its current leadership, refuses to address reality, then it is incumbent on CA, NY and, yes, NC to step up and effect some change.

One thing we don't need is more expensive cleaner gas. Charlotte has begun to supply only more expensive gas than the rest of the state. It makes the gas even more expensive. Last Fall gas was more expensive in CLT than any metro except SF, LA, NY and Honolulu! It is easier and cheaper to get SC gas.

Cleaner, more expensive gas is precisely what we do need - b/c both attributes would begin to curb American's appetites for fuel.

I would really like to see NC take the lead in the alternative fuel resolution with things like a state tax credit for gas station owners who install alternative fuel pumps. Also, perhaps we could invest in ethanol by building several ethanol production plants and then all these tobacco farmers who are having to get our of farming could stay in farming and just grow corn to make ethanol instead of tobacco.

Archived